Capping free edge with Gelish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jo's Nails

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have found that every time I do Gelish on my self I have a tiny hairlike thin line at the free edge. I am capping but find most of it gets on my fingers and a day or two later the free edge comes off a leaves a line. What am I doing wrong?

Are you meaning the nail chips? Or like looking at the nail down the barrel you can see its not capped anymore?

If its the latter then this is normal, the seal you put over the free edge will wear away naturally.

If its the other then maybe you are applying it too thickly to the free edge? If its looking quite bulbous when you look at it side on then I would say its too thick and could cause chipping.

I am using Shellac btw, but im guessing the same applies.

Hi Lolly22,
Yes that's the one looking down the barrel of the nail and it's not capped anymore. As long as that's normal then that's OK. I am inspecting them all the time to see how they wear. I am probably looking for imperfections lol. There are no chips or bulbous area's I applied 3 very thin coats. I am very heavy on my hands so it must be natural wear and tear.
THanks for your reply hun.xx

I've had gelish on for 9 days now, I was washing dishes as the dishwasher broke down and then doing a lot of unpacking boxes and putting together plastic shelving and I have two tiny little chips but they stayed where they are. My nails are much duller but that's to be expected due to the heavy handed work I've done. However, I too made very sure to cap the free edges and I have that little white line at the very ends of the free edge, kind of like I didn't cap but I did. That was there before all this heavy work I did, thinking this is just wear but they are holding up really nicely, I'm impressed so far. Can't wait to see how removal will be.

I tried Gelish for the 1st time 2 days ago as I wanted to see how it compared to Shellac (which I use) I do not think the girl capped the free edge and imediately afterwards it looked like there was a very very tiny gap at the edge almost like it has shrunken back from the edge of the nail but only very slightly, she also left a huge gap around the cuticle :(
Never mind I will see how it wears compared to Shellac!

I tried Gelish for the 1st time 2 days ago as I wanted to see how it compared to Shellac (which I use) I do not think the girl capped the free edge and imediately afterwards it looked like there was a very very tiny gap at the edge almost like it has shrunken back from the edge of the nail but only very slightly, she also left a huge gap around the cuticle :(
Never mind I will see how it wears compared to Shellac!

If she didnt cap the free edge at all then you probably wont get a true insight to how Gelish wears as if not applied properly you probably wont get the full time out of it.

I cant stand it when the gap left is so big round the cuticle!

Hi Jo,

Sorry I couldnt reply quicker im at work. Yes this is completely normal for this to wear away, it will dissapear after a few days usually just normal wear really. What you can do if its looking noticable is file the nails down a wee bit and they will be looking good again. This i mean, if it has travelled onto the nail plate a bit. Obviously the seal will be gone, but I hope you understand me :)

I recently done my conversion course and was told its not essential to cap the free edge. The trainer was saying it will wear off and if u need to file your nails it will come off anyway. Yet when ive read up and watched youtube videos its all they go on about. :confused:

I recently done my conversion course and was told its not essential to cap the free edge. The trainer was saying it will wear off and if u need to file your nails it will come off anyway. Yet when ive read up and watched youtube videos its all they go on about. :confused:

Really? I did my course last week and was told to cap the free edge, everytime Ive rang Nail Harmony Ive been told to cap too, I would give Nail Harmony a call to double check that x

Really? I did my course last week and was told to cap the free edge, everytime Ive rang Nail Harmony Ive been told to cap too, I would give Nail Harmony a call to double check that x

I done it with Kayleigh in Crayford. Where did u do yours Kattyj?? i thought it was odd she just said shes never had any problems by not doing it. Before the training i was always capping.

It's not even a hairline of free edge showing, I know what you mean about filing it down a bit to get rid of that look but honestly its so tiny.

I uncapped my free edge from daily work but does that mean you can file your nails with gelish, obviously not if its saying to cap after each coat, but mine are doing fine.

I done it with Kayleigh in Crayford. Where did u do yours Kattyj?? i thought it was odd she just said shes never had any problems by not doing it. Before the training i was always capping.

I did mine with Bev Rose in Lincolnshire, she was fantastic, not disputing what your trainer has told you but ive never been advised that x

Hi Jo,

Sorry I couldnt reply quicker im at work. Yes this is completely normal for this to wear away, it will dissapear after a few days usually just normal wear really. What you can do if its looking noticable is file the nails down a wee bit and they will be looking good again. This i mean, if it has travelled onto the nail plate a bit. Obviously the seal will be gone, but I hope you understand me :)

Hi Lolly,
I know what you mean I wwas thinking of doing this, didn't know if I was going to make it lift in any way but that is good to know I can do that if wears any further. I think it must be the bevel of the free edge where I filed at a different angle :biggrin:

aj1 Hi,
What color do you have on? I hope they last! Gelish is lovely:biggrin:

CazBeautica,
Hi hun that's interesting about not capping. I am going to to try it and compare the difference next time. Cap every other nail and see what happens
When I cap I tend to get it all over the skin under my free edge it's good to pick off though lol.

Hi Lolly,
I know what you mean I wwas thinking of doing this, didn't know if I was going to make it lift in any way but that is good to know I can do that if wears any further. I think it must be the bevel of the free edge where I filed at a different angle :biggrin:

aj1 Hi,
What color do you have on? I hope they last! Gelish is lovely:biggrin:

CazBeautica,
Hi hun that's interesting about not capping. I am going to to try it and compare the difference next time. Cap every other nail and see what happens
When I cap I tend to get it all over the skin under my free edge it's good to pick off though lol.

When I cap really short nails it does go on the skin but I wipe off with an orange stick so it doesnt cure when in the lamp x

kattyj Hi,
I had an orange stick to hand but totally forgot to wipe it off this time. I held my brush horizontally to the free edge and sort of swiped it across. I can't wait to do my course I hope it doesn't get canceled again.xx

kattyj Hi,
I had an orange stick to hand but totally forgot to wipe it off this time. I held my brush horizontally to the free edge and sort of swiped it across. I can't wait to do my course I hope it doesn't get canceled again.xx

Hi Jo

Ive been doing Gelish since May and didnt bother with the course because I was getting on so well with it and getting great results. Then my insurance was up for renewal and I had to do the course to be insured.

I have to say it was so beneficial, I learnt some great tips and feel super confident now when applying gelish. I was suppose to do the course with Sallys and it was cancelled so I went direct with the trainer x

I'm wearing Bellas Vampire, really nice almost black looking.

Hi Guys,
I have found that every time I do Gelish on my self I have a tiny hairlike thin line at the free edge. I am capping but find most of it gets on my fingers and a day or two later the free edge comes off a leaves a line. What am I doing wrong?
Make sure your not wipping off the capping when you clean up you skin. Its hard sometimes (with nails that are short) to get around nail tip without touching the capping. So if you do, recap. When I have shrinking with the Gelish Polishes (which is often) dry brush helps some. But if you don't cap clients nails that have weak peely nails they will chip, especially nail biters. Clients that have strong nails don't seem to have that problem though. They can even file their nails down but weak nail clients can't, I find. So thats probably why you are hearing different opinions on capping and filing. :biggrin:

I find I can do 2-3 nails then I have to flash freeze, especially the sheek white find I can do no more than 2 nails and I always need 3 coats for full coverage, is there another white that's more coverage?

I find I can do 2-3 nails then I have to flash freeze, especially the sheek white find I can do no more than 2 nails and I always need 3 coats for full coverage, is there another white that's more coverage?
I always use Shellac Cream Puff for my French Manicures, covers perfect and I only do one coat. I also have to flash freeze with Gelish colors and now with some of Shellacs darkers colors. I must of got a bad batch because I never had shrinking with Shellac before. I find that Gelish shrinks a lot more then Shellac. Shellac is easier to fix though.:biggrin:

I know Gigi's going to tell me Shellac doesn't shrink and that I must be doing something wrong lol,:biggrin: but sometimes you just get a bad batch and I've been doing Gelish and Shellac a long time with great success. Shellac is my favorite for ease of coverage.:Love:

Latest posts

Back