Car accident

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emily Case

Reaction score
Hi, geeks.

Feeling a bit sorry for myself so just wanted to come on here and chill rather than talking to insurance companies for hours on end.

On Monday, I had a car accident.

I was stopped at some traffic lights when a bus pulled up VERY close to me (straddling the white line so in my lane). We were both turning left (3 lanes of traffic) and as the lights turned amber, I pulled ahead in front of him.
Suddenly, I hear a huge bang and realise I'm being pushed by this gigantic bus. He hit my rear passenger door first, which pushed me up onto the curb (mangling my wheel in the process) and into a pedestrian crossing and crushed the right quarter panel (where the petrol cap is).
He then hits me AGAIN - this time my front passenger door - and sends me up onto 2 wheels. the window smashed and showered me with glass, I hit my head on the window then came to a halt on the pavement.

Police were called, paramedics etc... I'm fine (doctor says I had concussion, now whiplash and a very bruised collarbone) but I was informed today that my poor little car is a write-off. I've just been to the garage to collect all of my things.

The bus driver admitted it was his fault on the scene, so now I'm just waiting for more news from insurance companies.

I'm so so gutted... I LOVED my car (her name was Purdy and she was green - Verde - hence my SG name).

I'm a mobile nail tech so although my clients are being lovely and supportive, I'm losing a lot of business...

I'm not scared of driving; I'm currently on my mum's insurance but obviously I can only use the car when she isn't. Apparently I'm getting a replacement car today/tomorrow.

So, I've put in claims obviously for the car, personal injury and loss of earnings. I can't work properly, I did 3 infills yesterday and was in so much pain I was weeping on the way home. I very much doubt I could do a pedi. So even if I can get to my clients, I'm not much use! Doc says I'm unfit for work and wants me to claim social security benefits but I just can't afford to not work, and then I would lose my clients.

Enough about that...
Can anyone tell me what the next step is? Obviously I've given statements, as has my witness, and I've collected the stuff from my car. What do I do now? I feel like I'm in limbo.

I got an email saying I should notify the DVLA but the lady at the garage said to wait until my insurer contacts me to tell me what to do.

ARGHHHHH this is all so frustrating and confusing, I just want to sleep for years! :cry:

xx

O How awful!!

Didnt want to read and run hun.
Take the time you need to recover.I know you need to earn but if you dont get well healed now it could cause future problems for you.

Chin up and some chocci!!!
x

Thank you hun :(

I'm taking my time with clients, they understand and most are just grateful that I've turned up in the first place!

Here are some pictures of the damage...

Facebook

xxx

Hia sorry to hear about your accident, it sounds like a similar inicident as the one I was involved in a couple of year ago. A lorry came into my lane and crushed me onto the curb and railings on my other side. It was pretty scary and left me shaken for a while after so I can imagine how you are feeling.
My advice would be contact your insurance ASAP and inform them of whats happened as they will have to contact the other drivers insurance company and verify all the details etc, and it will be them who organinses the pay out for the car.
With my accident, although the other driver admitted liability at the scene, he then denied it and tried to make out it was my fault. The haulage company he worked for tried dragging it all out and making it as difficult as possible for me so in the end I had to contact a solicitor. It ended up taking just over a year for me to recieve the payout from them - an absolute nightmare!
Hopefully it wont be so difficult for you if the other driver admits liability but be prepared for a long wait.
Hope that helps and if you'd like any more info feel free to contact me
Tamii x

Thanks Tamii, I did contact my insurance company literally an hour after the accident so that is all sorted, and I have a solicitor.

Also, the man driving behind me gave me his details to pass on to the insurers, so he has acted as a witness (on my behalf, told them it wasn't my fault - he gave a verbal and written statement). The bus driver admitted liability to the police, so surely if the insurance company want proof they just ask for the report? I gave them the police reference number so everything should have been noted down by them.

People have been telling me to expect a fight with Stagecoach so I'm left a bit scared, even though I know Stagecoach are in the wrong!

I might take you up on that offer in the near future when I hear some more news, it really is very much appreciated. Thank you!

xxx

I'm sorry to hear about your accident :(
You will most likely have to go through it all again with your insurance if you haven't already.
I had an accident last year and although the man admitted it was his fault at the scene he later denied it and I had all the aggro of drawing diagrams and writing down everything that happened. So if u haven't done that I'd write down everythin that u remember while it's still fresh in your mind.
Good luck with it. I hope they don't give you a hard time. And get it sorted as soon as possible. Xx

The following is info from my other half, he used to be an insurance broker.

Because you have an independant witnsess (bloke in car behind you) and the bus driver admitted liability to the police, you have nothing to worry about regards a fight with Stagecoach, as if they decide they want to contest liability their own insurance company will advise them that they won't win.

You should get an offer for your car within about 2 weeks (this depends on which insurance company your with) with regards to the DVLA contact your insurance company to let them know as they will probably want the log book, it is then their responsibility to take away your car and deal with the DVLA.

What insurance company are you with?

PS.. The other money you are asking for (loss of earnings and injury) will probably take around 6 months to be settled.

Oh my word just looked at your pictures, I'm sure you were terrified!
Glad you're ok and hope its all straightforward with your claim xo

Hi girls, just wanted to say I literally only just saw your replies and would like to apologise for not acknowledging them :( I received a settlement cheque for the car but as baggybear said, loss of earnings & personal injury I'm expecting to take much longer. Thank you all for your concern, and again i'm so sorry for not replying! Xx

Hi girls, just wanted to say I literally only just saw your replies and would like to apologise for not acknowledging them :( I received a settlement cheque for the car but as baggybear said, loss of earnings & personal injury I'm expecting to take much longer. Thank you all for your concern, and again i'm so sorry for not replying! Xx

Hun, OMG! Only just seen this :'( I didn't want to read and run. Just wanted to say I hope you're feeling a bit better now since the accident and I hope you hear back soon about PI & LOE claim. Take care chick xxx

Hi hun, thanks :) I'm feeling a lot better now. Still getting headaches and dizzy spells (less frequent now although just as irritating) and can now manage a shellac pedi - I can't do the full works because it absolutely kills my back and neck. The neck pain is more of a dull nagging ache now (it constantly feels as if I've slept funny) but it's still there for sure, and clients do have to help me with my bags on a bad day.

I'm just finding it funny that the 3 worst weeks of my career are also the busiest! I'm totally booked up until next week which is great but I'm soooo tired... Haha!

Thanks again xxx

Latest posts

Back