Card machines for a small business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misskimsi3bee

Reaction score
Hey all,
Just some advice please as I would love to know what you think...

For a small self employed therapist setting up at home (summer house) - do you recommend having a card machine? I have a friend who works for herself and has just got one but she owns a salon which is not at home.

If yes, any recommendations on which make to go for? I will be starting out working around my other job so I won't be generating a lot of income for at least the first 6 months to a year. I hear some machines charge a percentage?

Any info would be fab! :)

Hiya,
I'm a home based beauty studio and working another job whilst I build up clients. I opted for a card reader straight away. I can't tell you how many people feedback how convenient it is and gives a much more 'business' vibe to your business. I use izettle and I'm very happy with them. They do take a % but no other fees (except purchasing the machine). Say I charged £28, i'd receive £27.51 into my account about 2 days later. I've been using it for a year and it's never let me down.
I hope that helps x

Hiya,
I'm a home based beauty studio and working another job whilst I build up clients. I opted for a card reader straight away. I can't tell you how many people feedback how convenient it is and gives a much more 'business' vibe to your business. I use izettle and I'm very happy with them. They do take a % but no other fees (except purchasing the machine). Say I charged £28, i'd receive £27.51 into my account about 2 days later. I've been using it for a year and it's never let me down.
I hope that helps x

Thank you for your reply - that sounds fantastic. Can I also please ask about your cancellation policy - do you take a deposit or if a client cancels do you take a percentage of payment? x

Thank you for your reply - that sounds fantastic. Can I also please ask about your cancellation policy - do you take a deposit or if a client cancels do you take a percentage of payment? x

No probs. At the moment no. I use a free booking system called Shedul. It's a fab system and easy to use.........but is yet to offer the booking fee set up although it looks like the intend to add it. Ovatu is another good system that does offer this facility; but you need to pay for it. I would consider moving to them when I bring more money in..........but I've just moved 400 miles and building up clients again!

I use sumup[emoji16]

I use SumUp too. One-off payment for card reader. No monthly fees, just a percentage from each transaction, but if you're only using it occasionally it's not a problem. It can take a few days to get into your account. It's really simple and small.

Square, no fees, 1,75 per transaction, = 17.50 every 1000

I use Square for payments and Shedul for bookings. Love them both. Looking forward to Shedul adding payments and loyalty in the future, too.

Latest posts

Back