card payment machines

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabinkel

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have been looking at old threads regarding payment machines. As some of the threads are quite old, id love to hear any opinions on the best machines to take on? Has anyone taken a machine recently and got a good deal etc? any pointers in the right direction would be great as it seems to be a minefield! Thank you

Hey

we're int he middle of doing up our new salon, and we had barclaycard round the other day to talk about card machines, its cost 2.6% for every credit card, and 29p for every debit card. Also £19.99 a month to be connected and a start up fee of £150.....while we were there we had the carpet man round and he was eavesdropping and after the barclaycard lady left he told us we could get a better deal from Cardsave, so maybe look at them, i havent yet but he said they work brilliantly! Let me know how u get on!!

:)

I got a good deal on mine from Payment Sense - Card Acceptance, Credit Card Payment Processing - Merchant Accounts, Lowest Prices in UK - I get processing of all the major card types including Amex. I pay 2.2% on visa, master card and 33p on debit cards. I pay 50p if I have to make a refund and charge backs are £15. The terminal and set-up are free too. They aren't the cheapest, but they seem to be quicker than the other providers and they're tolerant of our checkered credit history. The card machine itself is £19.99 per month but that's on a 5 year contract. Plus they're also sorting out my merchant account with the Bank of Scotland at the same time.

If you do decide to go with them please let me know via PM beforehand as they have a massive referral incentive and I'd love you forever and ever! :p LOL

We have just switched over pdq machines in our salon which will save us about £800 a year.

It helps if you are a member of a trade organisation and we have just swapped over this too. We used to be members of the FSB (Federation of Small Business) and have just switched to Cumbria Tourism which is £10 less a year and still has all the same bells and whistles such as free legal aid, business support and a much better pdq machine deal.

The pdq machine via this trade organisation is Barclaycard Merchant Services and it is 1.25% per credit card transaction and 15p per debit card transaction. The monthly fee is £14.95 and chargebacks are free. The £150 set up fee was also waived because of the trade organisation.

p.s. They will offer you a mobile pdq machine which is an extra £5 a month. We decided not to go for this as we have located our fixed pdq machine on the reception desk next to the diary. There is less chance of clients forgetting to rebook which also means less phone calls to answer.

Last edited:
thanks guys! Barclaycard machine was one of the ones I was looking at so interesting that this one was mentioned. Thank you. Any other suggestions?

Hi guys, I have been looking at old threads regarding payment machines. As some of the threads are quite old, id love to hear any opinions on the best machines to take on? Has anyone taken a machine recently and got a good deal etc? any pointers in the right direction would be great as it seems to be a minefield! Thank you

Same here, lol. I've been looking into it for ages & got a quote last month, which after reading the old threads, seems very good value:
MasterCard (Personal) 1.35%
Visa (Personal) 1.35%
Maestro/Visa Debit 18p
Set Up Fees (ONE OFF) Nil

Terminal type Monthly Cost
Fixed Terminal £18.00

Same here, lol. I've been looking into it for ages & got a quote last month, which after reading the old threads, seems very good value:
MasterCard (Personal) 1.35%
Visa (Personal) 1.35%
Maestro/Visa Debit 18p
Set Up Fees (ONE OFF) Nil

Terminal type Monthly Cost
Fixed Terminal £18.00

Sounds good! Who was that with hun? thank you x

thats very helpful, thank you:hug: Ill see what they can offer x

Just got a quote from HSBC - £250 one off fee:eek: (but no monthly rent to pay. Not sure if this is + vat or not)
2% credit card
25p debit card
£21.00 + vat per month after the 1st 12 months

Still looking like my other quote is very reasonable :)

Thanks for sharing blue rose. Dont know about you but the more Im looking the more confused im getting lol. Im off to see my business bank manager tomorrow so hope to get some advice there also. ill let you know if i learn anything good:green:

Hi I wonder if someone can help me with my questions regarding credit card payments. The company where I had the contract with is charging rental monthly 22.97 including vat which is no problem but there's another charges the minimum monthly of £19.99 which i find it quite a lot. Majority of clients are paying cash. Does your card provider charging you minimum monthly if you are not using your machine? I wanted to get out with this company and thinking of looking to another company. Any recommendations?
thanks

I got a good deal on mine from Payment Sense - Card Acceptance, Credit Card Payment Processing - Merchant Accounts, Lowest Prices in UK - I get processing of all the major card types including Amex. I pay 2.2% on visa, master card and 33p on debit cards. I pay 50p if I have to make a refund and charge backs are £15. The terminal and set-up are free too. They aren't the cheapest, but they seem to be quicker than the other providers and they're tolerant of our checkered credit history. The card machine itself is £19.99 per month but that's on a 5 year contract. Plus they're also sorting out my merchant account with the Bank of Scotland at the same time.

If you do decide to go with them please let me know via PM beforehand as they have a massive referral incentive and I'd love you forever and ever! :p LOL

Hi Sarah, how are you finding your card merchant service (card sense)? Please could you Pm me if you don't mind? Not sure if I should go for them. I've been given a good ok quote but as I don't have a line yet in the salon, I thought I'm best going for the mobile terminal but unfortunately its high.
Any help will be highly appreciated:)

Latest posts

Back