Card payments

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunflower46

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a self employed stylist in a salon &, in the past ,have only accepted cash or Cheque payments, the same as the other stylists in the salon . However, thinking ahead to when we return to work ,& the ongoing risk of handling cash with corona virus , I'm wondering about maybe getting a card reader , but don't know much about them . Would I need a business bank account in order to use one ? And which are the best ones to consider ? Any help would be appreciated . Thank you

You could try square and sum up and if you haven’t got a business bank account starling do one and it takes two mins to set up via the app. But you don’t need one x

I'd recommend Starling for a business account too.
Also recommend square :)

I also recommend Starling Bank, I have a PayPal Here card reader, I'm very happy with that too

I use Izettle and I just have a separate standard current account which I use for business. I work from home.

I use Sumup. Its a card reader that connects to your mobile via blutooth. It costs about £20. You just connect it to your bank account. You also get to use a virtual terminal. So If you don't have your card reader with you. You can logon to your account on a laptop or ipad and use the virtual terminal. You can use this to take payments over the phone as well or just use the chip and pin machine thingy....

I have an iZettle, that pays into a regular account that I use for work purposes. I get paid weekly for the previous weeks takings minus the fee.
Costs 1.75% of every transaction, or if y0u take more you can have a flat monthly cost.
I've a mini printer with mine for receipts but you can email or text them to a client.

It's actually easier than sorting notes and change and trying to remember who you charged what and on which date...

I am also looking into getting a card reader but I would like one which names the transaction,reading Trust Pilot it looks like iZettle hold this information,it would be much easier to do accounts if I could have a client's name next to the funds. Any advice please?

I have an iZettle, that pays into a regular account that I use for work purposes. I get paid weekly for the previous weeks takings minus the fee.
Costs 1.75% of every transaction, or if y0u take more you can have a flat monthly cost.
I've a mini printer with mine for receipts but you can email or text them to a client.

It's actually easier than sorting notes and change and trying to remember who you charged what and on which date...

I use Sumup. Its a card reader that connects to your mobile via blutooth. It costs about £20. You just connect it to your bank account. You also get to use a virtual terminal. So If you don't have your card reader with you. You can logon to your account on a laptop or ipad and use the virtual terminal. You can use this to take payments over the phone as well or just use the chip and pin machine thingy....

Thank you

I'm in the same boat Sunflower 46. I've only ever accepted cash or cheque. I've looked at Square and Sumup and Sumup sounds more reliable going by Trust Pilot. I only use a current account too. Didn't think about a Pay Pal one. I know nothing about these things either. I don't have internet connection at work, so it would use all my data on my phone....is that right? I am one that likes a simple life

I'm in the same boat Sunflower 46. I've only ever accepted cash or cheque. I've looked at Square and Sumup and Sumup sounds more reliable going by Trust Pilot. I only use a current account too. Didn't think about a Pay Pal one. I know nothing about these things either. I don't have internet connection at work, so it would use all my data on my phone....is that right? I am one that likes a simple life
Aw god I never even thought about the WiFi we do have it but the connection is rubbish . Aw man x

Aw god I never even thought about the WiFi we do have it but the connection is rubbish . Aw man x
I know, it's overwhelming when you don't know which one to plump for. Those that can, can do bank transfers. I have elderly clients though that probably wouldn't be able to do that. Going to look at the Pay Pal thing haha. No idea what I'm doing x

Apart from the issue of handling money at this time - it just looks so much more professional as a business to offer card payments.
When I see ‘Cash only’ I just think ‘Tax dodger’

I know, it's overwhelming when you don't know which one to plump for. Those that can, can do bank transfers. I have elderly clients though that probably wouldn't be able to do that. Going to look at the Pay Pal thing haha. No idea what I'm doing x
Me either good luck xxx

You too xx

I’ve used iZettle for years and have just got the contactless one which is arriving tomorrow. Never had problems they’ve always answered my questions and ideas quickly. They’ve been great for the past 10 years or so.

I’ve used iZettle for years and have just got the contactless one which is arriving tomorrow. Never had problems they’ve always answered my questions and ideas quickly. They’ve been great for the past 10 years or so.
Thank you I have been looking at Izettle always good to hear customer service is good to thanks

i also use Izettle. Their customer service is great. I like the dashboard in the app, so I can send out a link for a payment and print various reports off. I use it as a till of sorts, as can put through my cash bookings and print/text/email a receipt to the client, and it keeps all my sales in 1 report then.

i also use Izettle. Their customer service is great. I like the dashboard in the app, so I can send out a link for a payment and print various reports off. I use it as a till of sorts, as can put through my cash bookings and print/text/email a receipt to the client, and it keeps all my sales in 1 report then.
This is very helpful and constructive advice. Most of my clients have been the elderly and mostly prefer to pay by cash. This will throw them out lol. Thank you very much x

Thank you so much

Latest posts

Back