Card reader/payment advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barneybubble

Reaction score
I have been a mobile therapist for many years and have decidedly it’s time to start taking card payments. I was going to purchase a Sum up card reader but it states you have to have a business account to use this. I don’t have a business account all my payments go straight into my personal account as I don’t earn lots of money. I have a fully registered accountant and pay all my tax and National insurance contributions and declare all of my income but don’t want to set up a separate business account. Can anyone recommend a card reader that would pay straight to my personal account. Many thanks

Paypal Here is great and reasonable costs, immediate transfer to your account. No those paying don't need a PayPal account they are just the middleman like WorldPay or Izettle or SumUp

Paypal Here is great and reasonable costs, immediate transfer to your account. No those paying don't need a PayPal account they are just the middleman like WorldPay or Izettle or SumUp

Hi Trinity,
I've just been having a read of the PayPal Here web page. It says the money goes into your PayPal account straight away. If you then transfer the money into your own personal bank account, is there a fee that Paypal charge for this service?
Thanks,
M x

Hi Trinity,
I've just been having a read of the PayPal Here web page. It says the money goes into your PayPal account straight away. If you then transfer the money into your own personal bank account, is there a fee that Paypal charge for this service?
Thanks,
M x

Not that I'm aware of, it goes into your PayPal account in a similar way that WorldPay put it in their account until it transfers to your bank account (after however many days it takes). The thing I like about PayPal here is they take their fee there and then so if I take a payment of £25 for instance, I can immediately transfer it to my bank account less their fee so I get £24.xx (I can't remember the exact amount off the top of my head) - I don't have to pay a fee monthly which I would often forget was due out with WorldPay.

Hi Trinity,

I’ve been using iZettle for over 3 years now and find it great. You can use it on your phone and set up all you treatments and retail stock on it (like a register in a shop) showing you weekly/ monthly income which helps with you accounts and showing good months and bad. Transfer of funds after payment takes about 2/3 days into your account (business or personal) low interest rate 1.9% on each transaction and the more card transactions you have the lower the interest you pay. I charge my clients for the convenience of using a card transaction ( you should not be out of pocket). It’s very portable and works on WiFi but you cannot take deposits over the phone with it as you need to insert the card into reader for payments, that’s the only down problem I have with it. Google it and have a good read, [emoji6]

Remember, since Saturday 13 January, it is illegal to charge clients an additional fee to pay by card. Just in case anyone had missed this.

Yes, your right about the new additional fee but companies will still be able to add booking or admin fees as long as they also apply to other forms of payment.

New rules which will come into effect on 13 January 2018 will mean you cannot be penalised for choosing to pay by card, either online or in-store.

Under the current rules, which came into force in 2013, companies should only charge you what it costs them to process a debit or credit card payment - they shouldn't make a profit on these surcharges.
From Saturday 13th January 2018 you should no longer be charged a fee for opting to pay by credit or debit card – but companies will still be able to add booking or admin fees as long as they also apply to other forms of payment.

I got this off Google site [emoji4]

Latest posts

Back