Cardiff or Edinburgh

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeautifyMe19

Reaction score
Hello ladies and gents!

I am wanting to book a nice weekend trip away for me and my boyfriend and I have decided between cardiff centre and Edinburgh centre - don't ask why these two I just couldn't think of other cities in the uk I haven't been to.

If anyone has been to both or either I'd love to know which is good to visit. To be honest nice bars and restaurants, shopping and a few sight seeing attractions is what I'm wanting from wherever I decide.

Any help to choose between these two would be fab :)
X

Edinburgh is a lovely place :) lots of things to see & do, the castle, princes street gardens, "the high street" and if you are thinking of going the end of November/December/start of January or for new year there is massive celebrations! A beautiful German market, ice rink, reindeers & the shows its a beautiful place at Christmas and all this happens in the main shopping bit so Christmas shopping is easy too :) there is princes street for high street shops and just behind is George street with the more up market & expensive shops and resteraunts! Also a new all you can eat buffet has just opened called Cosmo its beautiful :). Absolutely loads to see and do in Edinburgh & from someone who lives here it is a truley beautiful place especially at Christmas time. I hope I have helped :)
Sarah xx

Edinburgh is a lovely place :) lots of things to see & do, the castle, princes street gardens, "the high street" and if you are thinking of going the end of November/December/start of January or for new year there is massive celebrations! A beautiful German market, ice rink, reindeers & the shows its a beautiful place at Christmas and all this happens in the main shopping bit so Christmas shopping is easy too :) there is princes street for high street shops and just behind is George street with the more up market & expensive shops and resteraunts! Also a new all you can eat buffet has just opened called Cosmo its beautiful :). Absolutely loads to see and do in Edinburgh & from someone who lives here it is a truley beautiful place especially at Christmas time. I hope I have helped :)
Sarah xx

Oh wow thanks Hun this has hugely helped.. I've been searching online for ages but it's hard when you don't know what streets are the main places :) driving me crazy looking for nice hotels too that aren't soo expensive!
We are off November so be all Christmassy .. Love the festive period!

Thanks for your help xx

I like Cardiff I've been once it's nice but I wouldn't rush back but Edinburgh is amazing and would definitely be my choice too :)

Oh wow thanks Hun this has hugely helped.. I've been searching online for ages but it's hard when you don't know what streets are the main places :) driving me crazy looking for nice hotels too that aren't soo expensive!
We are off November so be all Christmassy .. Love the festive period!

Thanks for your help xx

More than happy to help Hun! Anything else you want to know just ask! Unfortunately Edinburgh is an expensive place if you stay in the city centre but we have one of the best busses in the world so you can always stay just outside and almost every bus takes you into the city centre were all the fun is lol! I can recommend a few hotels I know of that are just outside the city centre, what kind are you looking for? A travel lodge/premier inn hotel type or a b&b? The Christmas lights are being turned on by Sir Chris Hoy on the 27th of November :) xx

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1381178675.001829.jpg

Here's a map of the city centre (looks tiny on that lol) and princess street is the main high street and just behind that is george street with all the more up market expensive places :) & princes street gardens is were all the Christmassy stuff is (although The dome in george street has to be the most beautiful building in Edinburgh at Christmas time). Also just behind the gardens is "the royal mile" or the high street as the edinburgers call it! If you start at the bottom there is the queens palace at Hollyrood & at the very top or it is Edinburgh castle, beautiful place. Also just below the royal mile you will see the bit that says grass market that's full of pubs & clubs. I promise you wouldn't be disappointed xx

More than happy to help Hun! Anything else you want to know just ask! Unfortunately Edinburgh is an expensive place if you stay in the city centre but we have one of the best busses in the world so you can always stay just outside and almost every bus takes you into the city centre were all the fun is lol! I can recommend a few hotels I know of that are just outside the city centre, what kind are you looking for? A travel lodge/premier inn hotel type or a b&b? The Christmas lights are being turned on by Sir Chris Hoy on the 27th of November :) xx

Yeah true it's just hard getting a hotel out of the centre when you don't know the area you always want to be super close to everything haha:)
I've looked at all sorts b&bs and hotels the one I liked was the apex European hotel? Wasn't sure how far things were to it.
I want quite a modern hotel but wasn't bothered if it was a premier inn as I know they are reliable! Off for 2 nights.
Just want somewhere close to shops bars and restaurants and probs go to the castle :) looks a beautiful place xx

The apex is right in the heart of the city, directly under neAth the castle! It's on the grassmarket were there is lots of pubs and a 5 minute walk up to the royal mile were there's lots more places to eat & drink then over to princes street all in all about a 20 minute walk! You have all the streets linking princes street and george street with lots of lovely places to eat & drink too :) xx

Just avoid the Travelodge in St Mary's St just off the Royal Mile. I used to run training along the road on Sundays and I saw some sights hanging about outside there, and had to watch where I put my feet on the way by :green:

The Apex Hotels are excellent, one is in the Grassmarket and the other out by Haymarket just along from the railway station and still close enough to the centre for taxis and buses.

Edinburgh is a fab city for a weekend break.

Cardiff hasn't got anything on Edinburgh ... Love Scotland xx

Edinburgh is great! The Scottish whiskey experience beside the castle is worth a visit as well as the national museum. X

Sent from my LG-E612 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks ladies really appreciate the comments all really helpful!

Decided on staying at the residence inn at Edinburgh which is right in the centre :) read some trip advisor comments and it sounds good.. Wasn't the cheapest but I suppose you've got to treat yourself now and again ;) it is a 3-4 hour trip up north from where I live.

Ooo whiskey experience haha sounds tempting. So the grassmarket bit mostly where the bars etc are?
Can't wait now!
Thanks again! Xx

I'm glad you picked Edinburgh! It's one of the best cities in the world, although I would say that - I live here!

It depends what sort of bars/night out you're looking for, this is Scotland - there are pubs everywhere :p

Royal mile - some good old fashioned pubs, lots of tourists though so can be a bit pricey. Try the villager or Whiski for drinks, and angels with bagpipes, the witchery or the tower for a fancy dinner!

George St - the 'fancy' clubs/bars. Lots of students, but Grand Cru, Tonic and Lulus are all worth a shot. Also the Harvey Nics bar for the views!

Grassmarket - some great times have been had down there. Can get a bit rough with loads of hen/stag dos but good for a laugh! Best club is down there too - Dropkick Murphy's. Live Irish bands and lots of sweaty birling, I've always had a great time in Dropkicks!

Shore - down by the sea in Leith there's a pocket of nice little bars right on the canal - it really feels like you're on holiday down there! Try Leith beer co or the cameo. Nice for your slightly rarer beers (cameo even has Bacchus on tap). Or Joseph Pearces at the top of the walk.

Get one of those pub tour Edinburgh tea towls/posters and try following it. Grand fun, even if you don't remember it the next day!

R x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Excellent choice, I love Edinburgh! Check out Tigerlilys in George Street, they do amazing cocktails.

It's soo good at Chrsitmas, the Dome is worth a visit too! Xx

Oh wow we did Edinburgh for new years and went to TigerLillys on a client reccommdation and it was fantastic :)

Ohhhh to go back.....

Oh yeah I did see that tiger Lilly's place for rooms it looks amazing - jealous I aren't stopping there, will definitely go for a cocktail there!

Yeh I prefer bars to pubs to be honest but ill go anywhere :)
how far is it to down to leith from the centre?

Is there any really nice Italian restaurants in the centre anyone recommends?

So glad I picked edinburgh it sounds such a lovely place xx

Oh yeah I did see that tiger Lilly's place for rooms it looks amazing - jealous I aren't stopping there, will definitely go for a cocktail there!

Yeh I prefer bars to pubs to be honest but ill go anywhere :)
how far is it to down to leith from the centre?

Is there any really nice Italian restaurants in the centre anyone recommends?

So glad I picked edinburgh it sounds such a lovely place xx

5 minute walk from the east end of princess street to the top of leith walk, just depends on we're you are going in leith :).
Bella Itallia and prezzo on "the bridges" are lovely, there's lots of lovely places to eat in the centre but these are the 2 Italians I know off lol! Sorry I can't be more help on that one.

Sarah xx

Vittorias on George IV Bridge (just off the royal mile), La favoritas on Leith Walk or Asti on Broughton St are all amazing, especially Asti. Also they're independents, not chains so the food is generally better quality and value!

Leith Walk is just north of Princes St, paste the omni centre. Follow it in a straight line to the bottom (15-20mins) and you get to Leith Shore. It looks a bit rough going down the walk but there are absolute diamonds of bars/restaurants to find down there!

Bar/Pub means the same thing in Edinburgh, we more delineate by clientele... posh bar, old manny bar, poser bar, student bar etc :D

R x

There's a pokey wee italian directly across from the omni centre which is lovely - cant remember the name of it though xxx

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

There's a pokey wee italian directly across from the omni centre which is lovely - cant remember the name of it though xxx

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

guilianos opposite the playhouse? it opens up through the back into a much bigger restaurant. food is lovely x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back