Career advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunner83

Reaction score
Hi Ladies and Gents... I'm looking for some advice on a career direction - I hope this is in the right forum. I'm 33 but seem to be having a mid life crisis.

I'm a qualified beautician (ITEC & CIBTAC) and I worked in a salon for 3 years before it closed down due to recession. So to make ends meet as I was getting married and getting a house I took on an office job full time but also set up a salon in my home and worked there evenings & weekends keeping up with the latest trends, but not up skilling as such. 8 years later I'm still working the office job as it is regular money & 10 minutes from my home however the relaxed office environment has changed and I hate coming to work. But out of myself & husband I am the higher earner.

So my dilemma is this.. I'm fed up working office I have always wanted to go back to working in a salon or even better owning my own salon... but they are almost every second shop here in Dublin. Where I live alone there is 4 salons within a 1km radius. I'm stuck and need advice,but do I
(a) take the risk of leaving a full time weekly wage in the office
(b) go back to working in a salon? Would anybody have me after being out if the loop for 8 years
(c) do I go it alone in my home salon - which would be ideal but massive undertaking

It is such a huge risk given I bring in such a chunk of the wage to the house, but I am miserable and want to go back doing beauty - can anyone please give me some advice??

Thanks in advance
Elaine

What's your client base like? Are you booked solidly? Do you have mostly regular clients?

What's your client base like? Are you booked solidly? Do you have mostly regular clients?

I would have a regular 15-20 clients coming to my home salon. Mainly for nails, tan, tint & small bit of waxing. Working full time I do try to work my salon hours around clients so its mainly evening & weekend work. But on the other hand if I was to do this full time it would open me up for daytime and being able to advertise more. I feel that only working a couple hours in the evening/weekend I am reluctant to take on new clients in case I cant accommodate them.

Would there not be the option in the office of cutting a day down to dedicate one more day before you take the plunge. It's a big leap because you are the main income of the household. Until you have a full booked diary on the days you work I wouldn't risk it, that's just me though. I would try cut a day or two from the office and try and get clients in on them days & see where you go from there. Hope this helps you X

Would there not be the option in the office of cutting a day down to dedicate one more day before you take the plunge. It's a big leap because you are the main income of the household. Until you have a full booked diary on the days you work I wouldn't risk it, that's just me though. I would try cut a day or two from the office and try and get clients in on them days & see where you go from there. Hope this helps you X

Thanks for the comment Paige.. No unfortunately not. I'm reception/Admin and they don't do part time positions in the office I'm in. Its all of nothing I'm afraid... Another option for me would be to leave my current job and try get somewhere else part time while trying to build up more clients.... x

Maybe the answer is under your nose, work the hours the salons don't do? You could test this by taking some holiday/burning the candle at both ends for a couple of months and offer more evenings. If the demand is there then you have your answer, if not you can cut back and go back to normal. Otherwise, honestly, I would talk it over with an accountant and get a good idea of what figures/turnover you need.

Latest posts

Back