Career change

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emily Case

Reaction score
Hi all :)

My lovely mum is looking for a change in career. She has been a financial adviser for over 25 years and is trying to decide whether she wants to enter the beauty business. I'm just trying to work out what sort of treatments she could offer that she would enjoy. Her business has done so well over the years but things aren't looking so good for the future, especially after the recession. She has a wonderful manner and I think people would instantly warm to her, but she needs something that would stimulate her mind.

At the moment I'm just compiling a list of things that I think would suit her... I'd really appreciate your thoughts and advice!

- Indian Head Massage
- Reflexology
- Hopi Ear Candles
- Facials (traditional and anti-ageing)
- Microdermabrasion
- Shrinking Violet Body Wraps
- Hair Removal (waxing, threading, electrolysis)?
- Aromatherapy (can you do this without massage, perhaps incorporated into a Reiki treatment or something?)

I have suggested massage but she gets achy joints so perhaps not the best idea (although she is happy with Indian Head Massage and Lymphatic Drainage that goes along with some facials).

I am a nail technician/beauty therapist so don't really know a lot about holistic therapies which is why I'm asking you guys! Has anyone got any suggestions? Would the above be a good treatment list to start with?

Thanks in advance for any replies - you're a lovely bunch and I'm sure you'll all be very helpful!

Xxx

I am the mum in question, and would be really grateful for any advice. Thank you.

I think when you do beauty you find what is right for you. Have a look at your colleges and see what evening courses they do as it might give u a chance to try a couple of things out. I find (in my opinion i know everyone will be differant) that some people enjoy the more hokistic side i.e just doing massages etc or some people prefer the treatments which is more about looking good i.e nails, waxing.
There is many options for you. There is also make up artistry, tanning, eyelashes. Where would you be loomig to open ur business in a hairdressers, a spa or mobile?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I think when you do beauty you find what is right for you. Have a look at your colleges and see what evening courses they do as it might give u a chance to try a couple of things out. I find (in my opinion i know everyone will be differant) that some people enjoy the more hokistic side i.e just doing massages etc or some people prefer the treatments which is more about looking good i.e nails, waxing.
There is many options for you. There is also make up artistry, tanning, eyelashes. Where would you be loomig to open ur business in a hairdressers, a spa or mobile?

I would be working from a building that I own (it's currently my office for financial services). I have also considered being mobile. I feel I would enjoy holistic therapies more as my daughter does the nails, waxing, lashes & brows etc.

My eyesight isn't the best so lashes/makeup/nails really wouldn't suit me! I like to work with my hands being practical but I'm not creative at all. I know the beauty industry is a lucrative trade and would like to do something I know I would enjoy, I'm just after finding out what treatments have worked well for others because we have premises and things already worked out.

Thank you for your reply.

Good luck ♥

Hi all :)

My lovely mum is looking for a change in career. She has been a financial adviser for over 25 years and is trying to decide whether she wants to enter the beauty business. I'm just trying to work out what sort of treatments she could offer that she would enjoy. Her business has done so well over the years but things aren't looking so good for the future, especially after the recession. She has a wonderful manner and I think people would instantly warm to her, but she needs something that would stimulate her mind.

At the moment I'm just compiling a list of things that I think would suit her... I'd really appreciate your thoughts and advice!

- Indian Head Massage
- Reflexology
- Hopi Ear Candles
- Facials (traditional and anti-ageing)
- Microdermabrasion
- Shrinking Violet Body Wraps
- Hair Removal (waxing, threading, electrolysis)?
- Aromatherapy (can you do this without massage, perhaps incorporated into a Reiki treatment or something?)

I have suggested massage but she gets achy joints so perhaps not the best idea (although she is happy with Indian Head Massage and Lymphatic Drainage that goes along with some facials).

I am a nail technician/beauty therapist so don't really know a lot about holistic therapies which is why I'm asking you guys! Has anyone got any suggestions? Would the above be a good treatment list to start with?

Thanks in advance for any replies - you're a lovely bunch and I'm sure you'll all be very helpful!

Xxx

there are local adult learning courses in our area (government run) like taster introductions to different treatments alot cheaper than full private courses. if there is in your area maybe a good idea to try these as could be quite costly only to find out your mum doesnt enjoy them and if she does enjoy a paticular treatment she could then go for full training . i think if you google adult learning in your area should show up. hope this helps xxx

I've found some taster courses, and thought I might book in for Indian head massage and hand reflexology to see whether they would suit me. Thanks for your help.

I passed my anatomy and physiology course a couple of weeks ago... I'm now enrolled on a microdermabrasion course for the end of July!

When I applied for Indian head massage, one of the requirements was to either be studying Swedish body massage or have this already completed x

You can do one day Indian Head Massage course with no previous quals or experience.

x

You can do one day Indian Head Massage course with no previous quals or experience.

x

surely that's only for leisure and not to be carried out on paying public

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

x

That wouldn't be a NVQ or VTCT though, would it? x

surely that's only for leisure and not to be carried out on paying public

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

You would hope so :-(

there are many around. The one I did was accred by the Guild and insurable

I have in the last few year gone back into beauty/holistics after a different career and enjoy it, many of my clients are over 40 and after having kids etc are happy to and feel comfortable stripping off for various treatments, I think that life experience helps you to be compassionate and get on well with clients, ofter they need time out for themselves, especially if coming for massage or holistic treatments. I think that there are so many people out there offering the same, it may be worth going for something a little different, I am doing well with hot stone therapy and anti-aging facials (which I really enjoy) but am happy to do a quick spray tan or cluster lashes etc. Feel fee to inbox me if you want to chat. Good luck x

Latest posts

Back