Career choice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spooky

Reaction score
So, am crazy on make up, products,application,colours.. Watch you tube.. Pixi woo, lisa eldridge constant!!You name it, it just excites me!!! Have done basic make up application, level 2 and first year make up artist and worked on make up counters. My plan is to start my own wedding make up business (to work around other job) my Ustinov to you lovely ladies (and gents) should I study bridal make up o u think it will be a waste of money as know some things already? Any advice on training centres, thinking the beauty academy? Your advice, knowledge would be much appreciated :) x

Ok, well speaking personally, I have worked with a girl who had done make up training in London at the London College of fashion, but her attitude to business (cram in as many weddings as possible) and her make up application were mediocre to say the least. I worked in make up for many years and had no formal training, then trained during level 2 beauty, and felt that I knew most of it anyway - I think make up at college is one of the least considered courses. I have now worked for many years doing make up (amongst other things) and have had great success doing weddings. Bear in mind that your work will mainly be a) seasonal and b) saturdays. My sister only works in make up. We both stock Jane Iredale, and she really promotes weddings, and is really busy with them. She also does prom, special occasion. I retail lots as I do it more as a consultation! If you feel you need training then do it, but to be honest, the paying public don't really have a clue. Hope that helps!!! Finally, if you go with a brand like JI, they do really reasonably priced training for Bridal etc. x

Thankyou for such a quick, detailed reply :) yes, attitude and customer service has a lot to do with it doesn't it! Would be nice to work within the industry as well as build my kit for some more experience. Any other wise words of advice would be great, will take your advice on board thanks again x

Have just ordered some foundation samples from Jane iredale though can't get onto her bridal make up training site, any idea as to why? Will let you know what I think of the make up, Thankyou for the suggestion, her make up looks fab, is it all mineral and is it long lasting? What's the coverage like?... Clearly can't wait for samples to arrive hee hee x

Have just ordered some foundation samples from Jane iredale though can't get onto her bridal make up training site, any idea as to why? Will let you know what I think of the make up, Thankyou for the suggestion, her make up looks fab, is it all mineral and is it long lasting? What's the coverage like?... Clearly can't wait for samples to arrive hee hee x

I have ended up going to Jane Iredale for my home salon too and like you want to focus my work on bridal work (although not just make-up, I want to promo for the prep leading up to a wedding too).

They have a good range of foundations which are a light to medium coverage depending how you build them. The BB cream however is full coverage (I was very impressed at how it covered a freckle on my hand without looking like i had caked make-up on) and yes the whole range is all made up of mineral make-up.

Good luck with your samples! Also get yourself to a local stockest and take a look at their display stand, you will get a better chance to see what the full range is like or ask them to send out a rep who will show you the whole range :)

Latest posts

Back