Career decisions.. could do with some advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sugastorm

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new! My friend recommended joining here so I thought i'd give it a go : ). I've just moved down to Cornwall to be with my partner and have started working in warehouse admin which I hate. I really want to get an NVQ in beauty and start a career.

Bit of background.. I wanted to study beauty therapy after my GCSE's but was pushed into doing A levels and ended up with a degree in history whilst working as a make up artist / skincare consultant and in various other retail roles.

I'm worried that my education background will effect how employable I am as it's such a big change? Did anyone else have a big career change? I would also need to study part time and I'm worried about getting salon experience?

Cheers,

J.

Hi,

I left school did A levels (art English psychology), then did nvq2 in childcare, had children worked in a school and retail...hated it all. Trained nvq2 beauty for 2 yrs partime while working and kids, then did nvq3beauty for 1 yr fulltime and managed to get a job in a salon partime.

5 years on i am now self employed running my own beauty room within a hair salon and love it.

It was worth all the hard work, you can do it anything is possible with a positive attitude and supporting friends and family

Good luck

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

i left school and did secretarial then had kids then re trained as beauty/nails, ive gone back and worked in an office over the years and did nails etc in eves and weekends,

now i have a home salon and love it, its the best thing ever!!!

id say as long as you want it and you will stick with it nothing else matters x

Hello and firstly welcome to cornwall! I live a ten min drive from bodmin so I know where you are (not meaning to sound creepy). No there will be absolutely no problem with a career change at all, go for it it will be the best thing you ever do! Oh and if you need any advice I know some local trainers and colleges so feel free to PM me if you like xxxx

Welcome to SG.

Most people will have between 10-20 jobs in theirs lifetime and average 3 different career roles within that. Big career changes are quite common.

Turn a positive into a negative - to have obtained a degree in History you have proved that you're intelligent which you need to be to succeed in business, and you've proven commitment to a course of action. You've had to persevere and knuckle down to get through exams, assignments etc not all if which you will have enjoyed. That sort if commitment to training/learning will see you in good stead. You will also have picked up academic skills and a discipline to learn that most people don't have if they haven't been through HE.

You need to look at what you have to offer hon rather than thinking about what you haven't got :) the rest you can learn xx good luck

*waves* Hey!

I was the reverse, my mum wanted me to do beauty at age 16 and I told her I had more brains :eek: so off I went, did my a-levels and a degree, had a baby and worked in events and hotels in London.

I had to move back home for family reasons last summer and have been unable to find a proper job (i work part time for boots) and so I have signed up to retrain in beauty and I have to say I couldnt be more excited!! I feel the life experience we have will help. We will know more about people and how to react to situations we are thrown into more than the average 16 - 18 yr old.

If you want to do it then do it, dont let anyone hold you back and enjoy it :D

Latest posts

Back