career or family life?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ns21

Reaction score
Let me start off by letting everyone know that my parents opened a beauty salon 15 years ago. I have been working there for the past 7 years doing everything from waxing, haircuts, highlights, and my ultimate favorite NAILS! What can I say but that business is great. I am booked everyday and I love what I do. I've been married for the past year and I recently had a baby girl Nayeli. Now I find myself wanting to spent my time taking care of my husband and my baby. I have debated over whether I should quit working or open a new salon since business is good. I know I'll miss doing nails and I don't want to lose all my clientle that I have gained over the past 7 years. But all I want to know is how any of you mothers and wives juggle home life and your career? I hope I'm not alone in feeling this way. Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Nidia

ns21 said:
Let me start off by letting everyone know that my parents opened a beauty salon 15 years ago. I have been working there for the past 7 years doing everything from waxing, haircuts, highlights, and my ultimate favorite NAILS! What can I say but that business is great. I am booked everyday and I love what I do. I've been married for the past year and I recently had a baby girl Nayeli. Now I find myself wanting to spent my time taking care of my husband and my baby. I have debated over whether I should quit working or open a new salon since business is good. I know I'll miss doing nails and I don't want to lose all my clientle that I have gained over the past 7 years. But all I want to know is how any of you mothers and wives juggle home life and your career? I hope I'm not alone in feeling this way. Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Nidia
Hiya,
I have a 6 year old daughter and I went back to work full time when she was 6 weeks old and have worked full time ever since!!! I also have two step daughters who come on a reugular basis (they are 12 and 9) as well as my 11 year old sister. Also I have a hubby (worse than kids for looking after). No he is good at houswork and helps alot......In my free time I have been attending college doing a beauty therapy course and also obtaining my NVQ in Nails and I am also shortly attending college to gain my teachers certificate...In the little bit of time i do have left I look after my elderly gran who is house bound, I do her cleaning and washing and take her out in her wheelchair....All I can say is that it has been hard, but worthwhile and my family do not feel shall we say left out....they support me 100 per cent.....If you enjoy what you do go for it....try part time first and see how you go....good luck
Amanda aka Lily

Hi there Lily. Thank you for responding. So i guess it doesn't get any easier huh? My concern is who will take care of my baby when I'm at work? My husband refuses to take her to daycare. Right now between me, my mom, and my mother in law we take care of her but i got to tell you that it's getting hard. I have to take care of the salon, my baby, my husband, and then maybe myself. My dad keeps on telling me that we should open another salon and I'll take of that one but I just don't know what to say to that. I guess it's just harder when you own a salon then rather just work for someone right? Thanks again for your perspective.

Nidia

ns21 said:
Hi there Lily. Thank you for responding. So i guess it doesn't get any easier huh? My concern is who will take care of my baby when I'm at work? My husband refuses to take her to daycare. Right now between me, my mom, and my mother in law we take care of her but i got to tell you that it's getting hard. I have to take care of the salon, my baby, my husband, and then maybe myself. My dad keeps on telling me that we should open another salon and I'll take of that one but I just don't know what to say to that. I guess it's just harder when you own a salon then rather just work for someone right? Thanks again for your perspective.

Nidia
Hiya,
I run my own salon on my own amd I am currently in the process of opening a larger one!!! my daughter goes to a registerd childminder, she is very good with her but it can work out expensive, its a bit easier now that she is at school....i drop her off with the childminder and she takes and picks her up from school....sometimes though I dont get home till after 8 and she is in bed:cry: but these are the things you have to do (well in my case anyway)
See Ya
Amanda

I'm a medical secretary - mum to 3; aged 12, 8 and 4. I went back to work when my first baby was 6 months old, and apart from maternity leave with the other two have worked ever since. It's been very very very hard, as we've no family support, but have had fantastic childminders and now a fantastic nursery. It's a constant juggling act - racing around to catch up on everything at the weekends, running from pillar to post, but I don't think I'd have it any other way. I'm doing my 4-day Creative Foundation Course in a few months, and will see where that takes me. Work have also enrolled me on the AMSPAR Advanced Medical Secretaries Diploma in September. That's a year course at Cannock on day release (one day a week 9-5), so I know I've got my work cut out for me on top of normal family life - but I still want to try to do the things that I want to do....i.e., learn about nails to see whether I can even think about doing that once as a part time thing.

It is possible to juggle, you just need to be a bit determined and be prepared for a few bad days. You can still have the best of both...

Hope this helps..xx

Angela
xx

hiya
i've had my own salon for 17 yrs, since i was 21!
my daughter jema is 11 & my son callum is 6 tommorow.
because my sister looked after jema for me, & because of difficulties with my landlord, i returned to work after 3 wks.
same with callum, & i continued breast feeding him till he was 8 wks old, expressing inbetween clients etc!!!
having family to help made all the difference, but if u r the kind of person that copes well with everything that life throws at u, then u will work thro' it.
a few years ago, i changed my work hours.
i used to do 1 late night & finish at 5.30 every other night; the rush to pick up children, feed them, feed the cats, get dinner for me & hubby was a nightmare.
i changed to 2 x late nights (mon & wed), day off tues (b4 i started teaching!)
& thurs & fri i finish at school time, pick up the kids & we have a couple of hours together in peace & quiet(well, sometimes!)
it is never going to b easy, but u can only try to give your all to the people you're with at any 1 time.
ie when i'm at work i have to stay focused, when i'm with the children i try to listen to everything they have to say, & when they're in bed i like to cuddle up on the sofa with paul.
sounds like i've got it sussed, eh?
well it doesn't always go like little house on the prairie, especially as jema is reaching "that age"!
but i think we're doing ok
liza xx

Hi,
I actually took the opposite aproach and didnt work untill both my children started school full time. I just loved the time we had together when they were younger and enjoyed every minute. I did attend college in the evening and did maths and psychology A levels.
I now do mobile and that fits in with my children great.
I think each person is entitled to do what they feel is right for them.

I was at home with Haydn (now 11) until he started school at 5 but I worked from home. When Dexter was born (now 4) I had family help out and he started full-time nursery at 15mths. I have to say that his nursery is wonderful and the girls who work there are fab so we have been lucky; yes it is a huge expense and one we shall be glad to get shot of in September when he starts big school!! Sam and I work between us at dropping off and picking up but as long as you are organised, it's OK!! The worst times are holidays - that takes minute and precision organisation. I just wanted to add that I can fully understand your husbands fears but nursery is a place that helps your child grow, learn to deal with other children, a fun but organised routine etc etc - if you have nurserys near you I would go with him to check them out so he can put his mind at rest!! HTH's!!

Thank you everyone for your point of view. It feels good to hear that someone else shares some of my dilemmas. I was use to working long hours and not having to worry about kids or a husband when I was single. But that has all changed and I guess I'm just going to have to get a little more organized and I think I'll be fine. My husband supports my decision whether it be to stay at home or to work. I think I'm going to stick with juggling career and home life. I really enjoy doing nails and I can't imagine myself not doing that anymore.

Nidia

hi i have been working in a salon (self employed) now for three 1/2 years my little boy has been going to a childminder and nursery for three days a week while i work and he loves it i have coped pretty well so far, but i am now pregnant with my second child due in dec so with my boy at school in sept i have decided to work from home and do a little bit of mobile. i have built up a fairly steady client base now an d they refuse to go anywhere else and are quite happy for me to have the baby tag along for a while until i dedcide i am ready to have the baby in childcare.
i have been so lucky my partner has been supportive of all my decisions home or salon, childcare or not, child minders are a very good option if you want a more home from home environment and more attention on your childs needs, as my boy got older i found he needed more fun so he started nursery for five mornings a week and has been the best thing i have ever done he just thinks its great.
dont feel guilty about enjoying your job its a very rare thing y'know and we are lucky that we can also be flexible and spend time with our children..... happy parents= happy children!!!!! thats my view anyway,

kim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back