Caring for cuticles at home

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut butter

Reaction score
Ok, so in my attempt to give myself a manicure at home, I hurt my cuticles LOL I know I ask a lot of questions but I am figuring out the best way to do my cuticles at home. Do I have to push them back or nip them? Because every time I do there's a little issue. Thanks.

here’s a pic for reference. Ouch

Attachments

• B1DE71A7-5312-498D-8EA9-EDDB9B736422.jpeg
    B1DE71A7-5312-498D-8EA9-EDDB9B736422.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 204
Jesus christ woman, leave things alone. All you need to do it use your Solar oil, use your handcream and file the length down when they get too long.

Jesus christ woman, leave things alone. All you need to do it use your Solar oil, use your handcream and file the length down when they get too long.

Ok :( I am such a dumb ass LOL ughhh

Since the damage is already done on one cuticle, dang it hurts. I see a bunch of dead skin tags. I don’t want to pick it or nip it. Will the lotion and oil be enough?

Check out Doug Schoon for advice on what you can and can not remove 😀

What you have damaged is not your cuticle, it's living tissue! Leave to heal, like any other wound. As Trinity has told you numerous times, solar oil and hand cream. Nothing else!

What you have damaged is not your cuticle, it's living tissue! Leave to heal, like any other wound. As Trinity has told you numerous times, solar oil and hand cream. Nothing else!

thanks. How long does something like this usually take to heal

thanks. How long does something like this usually take to heal
It depends on whether you completely leave them alone or keep tampering. It looks like you've cut some pretty big chunks of skin, so at the very least maybe a week for the smaller areas to heal. There's no point in asking for help when you are not listening. I know it sounds harsh, but several people have spent a lot if time patiently answering your questions and giving valuable advice. You are wasting your time and theirs if you do not follow their advice, not to mention causing yourself physical pain. You must have felt this hurt when you were doing this. Good luck with your nails and I hope you can resist inflicting and further damage.

It depends on whether you completely leave them alone or keep tampering. It looks like you've cut some pretty big chunks of skin, so at the very least maybe a week for the smaller areas to heal. There's no point in asking for help when you are not listening. I know it sounds harsh, but several people have spent a lot if time patiently answering your questions and giving valuable advice. You are wasting your time and theirs if you do not follow their advice, not to mention causing yourself physical pain. You must have felt this hurt when you were doing this. Good luck with your nails and I hope you can resist inflicting and further damage.

I did feel the pain and it’s been hurting for the past several days. Literally keeps me up at night. It’s all anxiety related. Pandemic and panic attacks. I appreciate the advice because for the most part, it has helped A LOT. My nails are much better than they would be without these suggestions because I follow them to a T. It’s just sometimes I slip and pick. The day this happened I found out my hub may have been exposed to COVID. He got an email and we waited all day to see if he was... he wasn’t thank god but when I first heard seconds later, this happened. I need to beat the habit. But I appreciate the help along the way.

I was afraid this would take 4-6 weeks to heal.

Last edited:
I did feel the pain and it’s been hurting for the past several days. Literally keeps me up at night. It’s all anxiety related. Pandemic and panic attacks. I appreciate the advice because for the most part, it has helped A LOT. My nails are much better than they would be without these suggestions because I follow them to a T. It’s just sometimes I slip and pick. The day this happened I found out my hub may have been exposed to COVID. He got an email and we waited all day to see if he was... he wasn’t thank god but when I first heard seconds later, this happened. I need to beat the habit. But I appreciate the help along the way.

I was afraid this would take 4-6 weeks to heal.

I feel your pain, even if you are a pain!! 😆 ;)

I pick and bite the skin around my nails really, really badly just before my period. It's not uncommon, many of my clients do it, they don't realise until I pointed it out. Somehow the skin changes condition and becomes dry and tough, then it catches on my clothes, etc. and I start nibbling to removing the catchy bits, next thing I know I've ripped huge bits of skin off and they are bleeding. Sometimes the throbbing and pain keep me awake and night too. It's a completely subconsious habit, my Husband gets extremely upset with me as he can hear me doing it but I'm unaware until I'm soaking up the blood with tissues and complaining they hurt.

It's a hard habit to break, we're in such uncertain and scary times so it's not a surprise you are being hit hard. Use your Solar Oil and Hand cream, find a distraction if possible when you know you are picking. It's disgusting but my Husband puts his dirty socks on my hands to stop me 😆😆:eek::eek::eek:o_Oo_O

I feel your pain, even if you are a pain!! 😆 ;)

I pick and bite the skin around my nails really, really badly just before my period. It's not uncommon, many of my clients do it, they don't realise until I pointed it out. Somehow the skin changes condition and becomes dry and tough, then it catches on my clothes, etc. and I start nibbling to removing the catchy bits, next thing I know I've ripped huge bits of skin off and they are bleeding. Sometimes the throbbing and pain keep me awake and night too. It's a completely subconsious habit, my Husband gets extremely upset with me as he can hear me doing it but I'm unaware until I'm soaking up the blood with tissues and complaining they hurt.

It's a hard habit to break, we're in such uncertain and scary times so it's not a surprise you are being hit hard. Use your Solar Oil and Hand cream, find a distraction if possible when you know you are picking. It's disgusting but my Husband puts his dirty socks on my hands to stop me 😆😆:eek::eek::eek:o_Oo_O

Thank you. God knows how bad my nails would look without all this advise. I mean 9 out of my 10 nails have perfect cuticles and skin in tact. There's a little product left on each nail but I just put nail strengthener to conceal it to prevent picking the surface. I have done (believe it or not) pretty good until that email...

I honestly never did any of this pre-quarantine and the pandemic. These are very vey uncertain times and I have been hard by all of it. Another time I fucked up my nails my hub and I actually had to quarantine for 2 weeks. It was so scary... I felt like every symptom was it. He teaches so these emails of possible exposure come so regularly. It scares me. Plus my state has 4k cases per day now and we have a president who is golfing.

Anyway I am just keeping a bandaid on it until it heals to prevent myself from picking but aawwww gosh those showers burn like the sun. XD

Thank you. God knows how bad my nails would look without all this advise. I mean 9 out of my 10 nails have perfect cuticles and skin in tact. There's a little product left on each nail but I just put nail strengthener to conceal it to prevent picking the surface. I have done (believe it or not) pretty good until that email...

I honestly never did any of this pre-quarantine and the pandemic. These are very vey uncertain times and I have been hard by all of it. Another time I fucked up my nails my hub and I actually had to quarantine for 2 weeks. It was so scary... I felt like every symptom was it. He teaches so these emails of possible exposure come so regularly. It scares me. Plus my state has 4k cases per day now and we have a president who is golfing.

Anyway I am just keeping a bandaid on it until it heals to prevent myself from picking but aawwww gosh those showers burn like the sun. XD

The pain will stop in a couple of days, if you have some antiseptic cream (we have Savlon or Germolene here in the UK) put somebon too. The more you use the Solar oil the more conditioned and soft your cuticles will be abdless likely to get hang nails or dry skin.

The pain will stop in a couple of days, if you have some antiseptic cream (we have Savlon or Germolene here in the UK) put somebon too. The more you use the Solar oil the more conditioned and soft your cuticles will be abdless likely to get hang nails or dry skin.

Thanks. Yea I’m using it like crazy. I bandaged it with neosporin for now, too.

3 days later and it’s looking better. Pain subsided. Any idea how long proximal nail told will grow back? Thanks.

Attachments

• 05D0D439-222C-4266-ACBB-D7B40CC71059.jpeg
    05D0D439-222C-4266-ACBB-D7B40CC71059.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 53
3 days later and it’s looking better. Pain subsided. Any idea how long proximal nail told will grow back? Thanks.

Someone has been reading her new textbooks 😂 however long it usually takes you to heal from a cut

Someone has been reading her new textbooks 😂 however long it usually takes you to heal from a cut

I have lol XD Oh ok, awesome. So about a week or two. I read somewhere 4-6 weeks and I got so nervous lol

I’m thinking to get a manicure in a few days to clean up the finger but am not sure it’s worth the risk. Is there anything my nail tech can do or should I just ride this one out? It wouldn’t be worth the risk if she can’t really do anything. It’s not peeling but when I was my hands or take a shower, I can see like the skin growing it which is a little raggedy. It’s fine when I oil it up but I’m just considering the picking.

Attachments

• D1399232-38B2-43DE-AF69-9BAB836B583B.jpeg
    D1399232-38B2-43DE-AF69-9BAB836B583B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 54
Just an update on how it looks. The proximal nail fold isn’t as whole as the other nails. It’s a pain in the ass to say the least because it makes my nail strengthener peel. The other fingers are fine, any advise?

Attachments

• 5A893CF3-327C-4212-8EB7-442131B68599.jpeg
    5A893CF3-327C-4212-8EB7-442131B68599.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 44
Just an update on how it looks. The proximal nail fold isn’t as whole as the other nails. It’s a pain in the ass to say the least because it makes my nail strengthener peel. The other fingers are fine, any advise?
Just leave it alone to heal.

Latest posts

Back