Caring for cuticles at home

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can a professional fix this or this is just something nature needs to take care of?
Just let nature do its thing. It will grow back perfect if you just leave it alone.

Just let nature do its thing. It will grow back perfect if you just leave it alone.
Ok thanks. My fear was I would need a pro to shape it up in order for it to grow back perfect.

Hi I am a huge pain. I didn’t pick but man is it peeling after showers. Would a manicurist be able to tidy it up so it grows in more regularly? I know she can’t make the skin grow back, I’m debating whether I should just bit the bullet because it’s so hard not to play with it. If not, maybe I got to use bandaids lol

Attachments

• 07275914-B403-45B1-A218-2016680E7D79.jpeg
    07275914-B403-45B1-A218-2016680E7D79.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
Hi I am a huge pain. I didn’t pick but man is it peeling after showers. Would a manicurist be able to tidy it up so it grows in more regularly? I know she can’t make the skin grow back, I’m debating whether I should just bit the bullet because it’s so hard not to play with it. If not, maybe I got to use bandaids lol

Anyone? Lol 😂 I am so so sorry but if a 5 mincuticle cleaning will help then it’s worth it

just out of curiosity, is there a reason it peels even with the solar oil? Is that like the healing process lol

You have a lovely hand and fingernails. If you can’t keep yourself from fiddling with the skin, maybe try white cotton gloves. They come in a pack of several at the drugstore. Pretend you are a hand model and need to keep them safe.

If you HAVE to nip and clip, be sure to have extra sharp nippers. A dull pair will make you pull instead of slice. I use NGHIA brand. D-01 or 04, ultra sharp 14 jaw (according to how they size full, half, quarter, etc. jaw). They are available online, of course.

Ok, went back over your pictures and your comments to put it all together.

So, very basically, the skin on your hand and fingers extends to include the roll of skin most people call ‘the cuticle’. This is not the cuticle according to most experts. It is live skin and will indeed bleed, break and peel when damaged.

I have had people who peeled back to the first knuckle when someone cut the skin and didn’t know what they were doing.

641E83F8-7BFB-4657-BE5F-0BF9A28089A2.jpeg

You have a lovely hand and fingernails. If you can’t keep yourself from fiddling with the skin, maybe try white cotton gloves. They come in a pack of several at the drugstore. Pretend you are a hand model and need to keep them safe.

If you HAVE to nip and clip, be sure to have extra sharp nippers. A dull pair will make you pull instead of slice. I use NGHIA brand. D-01 or 04, ultra sharp 14 jaw (according to how they size full, half, quarter, etc. jaw). They are available online, of course.

Thanks so much. I know it’s silly to be so preoccupied with them considering I’m sure you all have seen much much worse. But they look as good as they do due to all the advice. When quarantine started during first wave it was so bad I literally yanked my fingernails out deep deep deep into the nail bed. I wish I had pics to show you. It was so bad, so I have gone quite the way.

I got some tiny pieces of product on them but I don’t even bother anymore. I just put on my nail strengthener and call it a day.

And yup I bet it is the living skin I tore off. Usually it’s fine because I oil them up but after showers I get all those hanging pieces which drive me crazy. I only cut those with the cuticle nipper gently if I can see it’s hanging and not just ragged. The cuticle clipper is sharp and does the job. I can’t wait for it to grow back. It’s taking soo long. I think the silk gloves is a good idea though so I just stop looking at them lol to be honest, I bought gloves for this reason when I walk my pup!! As silly as it sounds I also wear latex gloves in the shower too so I don’t even have to look at them. I know it’s a distraction for me the nails for other things. Thanksgiving is Thursday and it’s the first without my family so it’s a tough one!! But I’ll make it through. I’m hearing a lot of good things about the vaccine.

Here is a pic of them with the nail strengthener and cnd oil. :)

Attachments

• 4919E38F-87AB-4C4D-B666-C8B3295FB37F.jpeg
    4919E38F-87AB-4C4D-B666-C8B3295FB37F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
  • F2083734-0407-46E8-AFB9-33DB64F86431.jpeg
    F2083734-0407-46E8-AFB9-33DB64F86431.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
Ok I did some searching to show you how they were before all your wonderful advice, I want to show you guys I truly from the bottom of my heart have used your advice despite small slip ups and appreciate it because it’s night and day from where I started. The progression is miraculous. This was during the first wave.

Attachments

• 5F4DFA5C-A179-4FBE-8362-E5A2577DF965.jpeg
    5F4DFA5C-A179-4FBE-8362-E5A2577DF965.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
  • CFAB0D45-44B3-4C99-81B2-D6DA7FCA3A4D.jpeg
    CFAB0D45-44B3-4C99-81B2-D6DA7FCA3A4D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
Here is a tip to get rid of the flaky hanging pieces. Use a sugar scrub. I do it all the time.
I just use it like I am washing my hands. I only use sugar scrub, nothing too course.

Here is a tip to get rid of the flaky hanging pieces. Use a sugar scrub. I do it all the time.
I just use it like I am washing my hands. I only use sugar scrub, nothing too course.

Awesome. I will try this!

After two weeks they got so long sooo I used the scrub and painted them. I am still getting used to following the shape right. As pros, what you think? 😋

Attachments

• 0EA79FF6-01B6-407E-9099-65CE464F53B1.jpeg
    0EA79FF6-01B6-407E-9099-65CE464F53B1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
  • D92F5298-7240-4F74-9A00-49FD1F3C1E6C.jpeg
    D92F5298-7240-4F74-9A00-49FD1F3C1E6C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
Hey, you’re hired! They look very nice. Don’t forget to add a swipe of polish and top coat along the free edge. Maybe make the polish last a little longer.

They look so nice now. And thanks for looking back at the original pics of ‘after acrylic removal’ damage. Boy, that kind of acrylic is impossible to soak off and so hard to file off. It only takes once to cure one from going down that road again. Proud of you.

Hey, you’re hired! They look very nice. Don’t forget to add a swipe of polish and top coat along the free edge. Maybe make the polish last a little longer.

They look so nice now. And thanks for looking back at the original pics of ‘after acrylic removal’ damage. Boy, that kind of acrylic is impossible to soak off and so hard to file off. It only takes once to cure one from going down that road again. Proud of you.
Thank you so much. This really means a lot. Looking at the pictures before and after really show my progress thanks to every one of you guys. :)

Latest posts

Back