Carlton Institute and Nail Lite

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretty pink

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I have been shopping around for places to do my NVQ 2&3 in the South of England. I wanted to do it this summer and have found the Carlton Institute in Windsor do a course which I think sounds good and is a good price. I have to do a 2 day nail extension course first covering all the basics again but thought that might be a good thing to re-fresh everything as its quite a few years since i did a course. At the end of the 2 days i would of covered acrylic, gel, fibreglass, tips and sculpting. At the end of the first 2 days we do a test, practical and written to make sure we are up to scratch then we get all the case studies to do at home/salon and then go back for our assessments.

I was just wondering if anyone had done this course or trained at the Carlton Institute?? What did u think? Its a lot of money and wanted some feedback from u guys!

Also i phoned them on Friday to ask what products would be used, Nail Lite, aparently its from USA. All the kits are included in the £460 that it will cost me. Anyone used these products?? I have never heard of them.

Thanks very much x x

I did NVQ Beauty Levels 2 & 3 at The Carlton Institute.
I'll be re-doing level 3 at evening school, but i have passed my level 2 with them.
It's very intensive, and isn't the most comprehensive of courses.... you need to be a person who learns quickly, recalls well, and who is aided well by written manuals.
Is it a refresher for you? if it is, then it'll probably help you very much as the tutors can be very good. If it's the basis for your learning and you intend to continue on to a recognised qualification, it can be real hard work.....

Well i have done my certificates in nail extensions already so yes its just a re fresher really. I havent done acrylic yet though but have dabbled a bit when i get a spare moment at the salon i work at. I am a bit worried about the sculpting bit as i havent done it but i'm sure it will be ok, its all practice practice eh!
Its good to hear good things about the college though!!
I will be doing it with another girl i work with so at least we can help each other out.

Thanks very much for your reply x x

I did make enquiries about the Carlton Institute, in fact I received some more mail from them today. I was going to study NVQ level 2 Beauty Therapy with them. My concern with Carlton though is that the actual on site training only takes about 5/6 days with them and then you are on your own basically.

You are expected to do all your practise on your own to build up your portfolio in preparation to take your NVQ exam. If you are making errors during your time away from college, then there is really nobody to observe you and correct those errors, thus you continue to make them.

I pasted the above comments made by myself from another thread. This is just my own opinion though. Please don't take this as gospel though. I have no experience with Carlton at all but think it may be better to find a course where you are supervised much of the time.

No offence please to anybody who trained with the Carlton Institute. We all know our own training abilities and what works best for ourselves and we all have different learning styles.

I used nailite before.... They are lower range products, very cheap... But they do an odorless system too which is what attracted me to them....

PM me and i can get their website for you

this is my own personal opinion so please don't shoot me.

NVQ's were brought in so that more peeps could have recognised industry standard qualifications and its a dam good idea.
But it bugs the hell out of me how much it CAN cost.
If you go to collage it doesn't cost anthing like as much as private industry charges if fact I personaly don't pay for collage courses, I get working family tax credit and that means I only pay for the exams / assesments and only pay for the 1st one of those. but if like me you do rotating shift work then what choice do you have? collages just arn't set up so that you can go mornings one week, evenings the next and double up the 3rd because you need to miss the 4th:irked: If I was on jobe seekers it would be a different story:irked:
I have promoted Profecional Choice before. Why? because the Lady who runs the one in N'ton who also does courses didn't tell me to Pay her shed loads of money for a 5 day course and then do everything on my own. She told me to bring in what certificates I already had, then she would tell me how to do my case studys and send that lot in for assesment. At no cost. then I could see what I still needed to do and how to go about it, which is what NVQ's are all about.
Like I said this is just my take on things but why should I pay to do a course that covers what I've already done? Why cant I just pay for the stuff I havn't done yet? Pro choice say I can:irked:
I've trained with the best, I use the best products out there and my client cards provide all the information needed for my case studys. I don't mind paying some one to help me put it all together and submit it but £460 is IMO a very high price to pay for corolating my information and hard work.

Have a read of this article ... http://www.salongeek.com/training/27430-answer-most-faq-training-should-i-choose.html ... it may give you a few more paths to take that you may not have realise existed!

Also do a search on here for training & read other members experiences, there is some great advice on here!

And also contact a few more training providers as just for a refresher course seems to be expensive ... try not to also make your choice on how close the college is or how cheap the course is!!

I did my lash extension course with the lady from Nottingham who trains at Professional Choice - she was great! Extremely down to earth, and exceptionally good value. I can probably try to find her number if you are interested, or if you ring Professional Choice in Northampton I'm sure they will be able to help.

With regard to the two day course, that is quite short (intensive) if you are doing uv gel, fibreglass, acrylic, and sculpting although I appreciate it's a refresher for you. But... after you've done your refresher you will then need to choose a brand (unless you stick with Nail Lite) and then you will want / need to do the training offered by that company. If I were you I would choose a brand and then do their training. Hope that makes sense.

Yeah i'm thinking i might just stick with Ez Flow or Creative, I think I will have to buy the kits and do conversion courses first, then see if i can do the NVQ assessments through them maybe?

Many thanks for everyones advice!!

x x x x

If by Nail Lite, you mean nailiteinc.com, I have used many of their products and been satisfied. VERY satisfied.
Also, I know of many geeks who are happy as well. It all depends on what products you are interested in, and what your specific needs are.
They're very cost-friendly, and also have a UK distributor known as Sensual World.

Hth's
:hug:

Yeah i'm thinking i might just stick with Ez Flow or Creative, I think I will have to buy the kits and do conversion courses first, then see if i can do the NVQ assessments through them maybe?

Many thanks for everyones advice!!

x x x x

You can do your NVQ assessments and training though selected Creative Nail Academies. Ring the main number to find out where. 0113 275 0433

Latest posts

Back