Carlton institute...nail training?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leanneday85

Reaction score
Hi guys really excited, doing my nail extention courses in august?

Has anyone been....is it ok?

x x x

Good for you hun its the first step. Unfortunately not wanting to put a dampner on your course, but I learnt with the Calton group (as have some other geeks) and for the money I spent, I wish I had found out about other companies i.e. Creative, Ezflow sooner and booked with them.
If you do a search and type in Carlton Institute you can veiw previous threads. Im only saying as I think everyone who chooses this path should get quality training and the best knowledge that they can. hth

have to agree with louge on that one. sorry xx

So do I, sorry but they seem to just cover very basic stuff and some of that is suspect.:eek:

iI am starting there too……! X lol

Hi there, i hate to add to the slightly negative slant, but i also started out by doing an intensive course at Carlton Institute too, and while they are nice people the trainers are v friendly, i believe this course alone is by no means enough to go on and start up a business without further training and lots & lots of experience. There have been lots of threads on this so if you do a search i'm sure you'll have plenty of comments to help you make your mind up. Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to read, wishing you the best of luck & above all have fun x

Don't be too down heartened hun. The first course I did I thought was pretty crap, but now I just think I was expecting to come out of it as an "all singing all dancing I can do it all tech" and was surprised when I didn't!!! Of course now I know this isn't the case with an intense course. A lot of dedication and practice and further training will be required. Have fun and good luck!

hey, i trained there too (last year) but found the course really good, they offer the nvq now so theres lots of emphasis on health snd safety and professional conduct which i think we all agree is V.important!!had a good converstion with one of the tutors about conversion courses and training with other companies, the genral gist was that this course is a foundation course and she stressed to me and the rest of the class that we should all keep training and learning to get better.
Maybe some people haven't had such a good experience with the carlton institute but any training you recieve is what you make of it.
Have fun and enjoy yourself, and goodluck!!

keri R said:
hey, i trained there too (last year) but found the course really good, they offer the nvq now so theres lots of emphasis on health snd safety and professional conduct which i think we all agree is V.important!!had a good converstion with one of the tutors about conversion courses and training with other companies, the genral gist was that this course is a foundation course and she stressed to me and the rest of the class that we should all keep training and learning to get better.
Maybe some people haven't had such a good experience with the carlton institute but any training you recieve is what you make of it.
Have fun and enjoy yourself, and goodluck!!

Having talked to people that did a nails course at the Carlton Institute, I notice that a good part of what teach you on the nails course including Health and Safety is thrown out the window when you do better and more thorough training by main suppliers...At the Carlton, they can tell you things that are not accepted by most organisations especially to do with PREP. If it is a weeks intensive course that you are going to do, then beware, as by the middle of the week most people are so overloaded with info that they have forgotten half of what was said to them the day before, some couldnt even remember what course they had covered the day before!!! I did my basic wax certificate with Carlton and ALL the others on the waxing course were on a weeks intensive course doing various beauty aspects, a different one each day and I was horrified by some of what they were telling me:eek:. I personally cant see the point of wasting money on a course that will only mean that you will have to book yourself on another better and more thorough one straight away, just a waste of cash and time IMHO:rolleyes: !! Why not start the correct way and train with a good, reliable and recognised name in the Industry.

Think she's already booked it lovey she may lose her money if she drops out:confused:

oh cheers!!! i forgot only creative do the best courses? do they do NVQ level yet?

Leanneday85 said:
oh cheers!!! i forgot only creative do the best courses? do they do NVQ level yet?
Yes they do have assesment centres at some of the acadamies, I notice in your profile it say's that you use creative so I assume that you must have trained with them already!!

HI all..

Ok been doing some reading as i am also due to do my nail course (1 day)in September with Carlton at Exmouth, have opted to go for the IHBC qual though as i am already IHBC Beauty Therapist qualified.

We all know Creative is the best (no offence to be taken wasnt being funny lol)but unfortunatly some of us cannot or are unable to get to an academy to do a course.. mine would be in Plymouth as a 5 day course and as i am a single parent.. i just cannot do it :O(

I think your learning only reflects what you put into it, I dont think anyone is perfect when they first start, only patience and practice makes this possible, after all foundations are layed before the house is built!!

Sara

I think your learning only reflects what you put into it, I dont think anyone is perfect when they first start, only patience and practice makes this possible, after all foundations are layed before the house is built!!

I have to half heartedly dissagree with you Sara,

IMO it is the products that you use, the foundation course & followed up training courses there after that makes it possible!!

Of course you have to practice but I agree with Geeg's signature - Practise does NOT make perfect ... PERFECT PRACTISE makes perfect!!

ANY course is only as good as the teacher!

The NVQ covers all the necessary areas BUT the skills taught rely heavily on the skills of the teacher. Also, some NVQ training centres are very good at missing some essential things! E.g the appropriate number and quality of assessments so the course is completed very quickly!

Creative and NSI are often recommended on this site as good training because they, as companies, take a lot of trouble in finding and training very good teachers. Some companies aren't so careful as they just need staff.

Lots of training centres have excellent teachers. Cost and speed of the course is not the starting point. The Occupational Standards (available on the Habia website) is the basic that should be taught in any course. Facts are facts (and these cannot "go out the window" after!) and these can be supported by textbooks and the Habia Code of Practice.

In my opinion and that of many experienced technicians, no one has enough learning or practice in less than a year filled with courses and working with a wide variety of people.

Hi everyone, I am desperate to start training as a nail tech but I have taken on board the advice offered by most people here and am spending a while researching EVERY course on offer. To think if I had gone with my original choice and paid £400 for a distance learning course (which was all online NO practical!!!) with one of the many colleges out there I would be absolutely gutted right now as they seem rather substandard in comparison with the courses that everyone speaks of on here. At the mo I am set on going with Essential Nails but Im still researching! Could anyone possible tell me where to find further details on Ezflow? The website I go to seems to be for people in America and Im in Scotland. So all I can advise anyone looking for a course is research research research, and take on the advice offered by the professionals on this site who take the time out to help and advise all us newbies, thanks guys!!!

Teresa xxx

Do ignore my request above for further Ezflow details, I have now scrolled down and found what I need, doh!!!

Teresa xxx

Do ignore my request above for further Ezflow details, I have now scrolled down and found what I need, doh!!!

Teresa xxx
Hi,
Id like to say i done my training last year at the Carlton,if i had internet access last year i wouldnt of gone their,i would ofstarted a course in Creative after reading this web site,to take manicures,pedicures,applying tips ,sculptured nails,gel overlays,fibre glass, acrylic and nail art in four days was mind bogoling,i didnt feel that tip applying was covered well enough IE:tipping different types of shaped nails,and nail disorders,i asked questions on two occasions they couldnt be answered ,and many a time i looked up for some help and couldnt see no tutor around.
Its definatly about practice after ,and learning by your mistakes,i also found with this course your not trained in a certain product ,therefore you go out a buy all these cheap brands from Sallys,(which i did),and i couldnt get on with any of them,kept getting probs. with lifting.Im Bio trained now and have no probs with lifting now.
I then had to pay out more money to apply for my nvq 2 ,which i cant complete because theres certain things in there i need to be working in a salon to do,and unfortunatly ive given up on applying to salons as they dont want to know me ,so im starting up mobile,so i dont feel im gonna get my nvq finished now,as now ive converted to Bio ,i think other gels ,L&p,etc.are a blur now!!!!!

I trained at the carlton in may this year i paid over £1200 inc kits to do my nvq ihbc nail services, i must admit i did a lot of searching on the internet before booking my course and i was not very happy with the training tbh. i was really peeved when they passed a girl who left my nails all lumpy and bumpy that i removed it as soon as i got home that night, i couldnt believe that a course that cost so much has such a low quality control in its passing of students, i will be doing further training with either nsi or creative. It doesnt help that the carlton only train you using uv acrylic so you have no idea how to apply the air dry acrylics as the uv stuff doesnt set until under a lamp like normal.
they dont teach pink and whites or anything else and their nail art course and ear piercing leave a lot to be desired. god i could have a good rant about this.
we had and hour each morn on theory then a test then practical where we only got to do one practise nail each which isnt enough imo.
I am a perfectionist and they didnt like that i would take my time to make sure i filed just right and when one of the trainers said that she couldnt tell the difference between the nail i had done and the one the trainer had done made me feel good about my work but worried at the standard of training iykwim.
I wouldnt recomend them they are too expensive and overrated and the kits are way too expensive as you need to buy more stuff while you are there as they dont include all you need to get started!!
hth

Latest posts

Back