Cash Only .....??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bagpuss

Sleepy Geek Zzzzzzzz
Reaction score
Hiya xx

Do you think its fair to request cash payments only.....? i am so sick of chq's

Last week i got nearly all chq's....i felt like i hadn't earned anything or been paid. I bank Chq's every Friday and they don't clear till the following Thursday, and i am beginning to get sick of having to wait to get paid.

Basically its like clients are getting credit...i've done the work but have to wait nearly a week to get paid for it.

Wouldn't mind but there are about 4 cash points on route to my house.

Am i being unreasonable.....?

I hate cheques and that was one of my reasons for installing a card payment system. Now I rarely have cheques and life is much easier.

I don't think it's unreasonable to stop taking them, just put up a big sign and give your clients plenty of warning of the date from which you intend to stop taking them. Sainsburys and Tescos have stopped taking them too

i'd never take a cheque ..... cash doesn't bounce, you can also arrange with your bank for immediate clearance of cheques (well you can here in AUS).

I take only cash. Absolutely no cheques. I have explained to clients of issues in the past. Even the most honest and budget-smart people can goof on occasion and whoops... bounced cheque that I have to chase:irked:

But here, it's not so difficult and no one really complains.
The only place you can pay with cheques these days is the electric company and credit card companies or maybe for a downpayment on a roofing job or other household sort of thing AND it has to clear first, before they do anything.
NONE of the stores anywhere, nor salons, take cheques around here.
They're a thing of the past. Have been for a very long time.

It's either cash, credit card or debit bank card.
As my business is small, it makes no sense for me to get a credit card thingy, MUCH too costly.

no you're not being unreasonable at all. As someone mentioned, all the major high street stores are not taking cheques anymore and it can be an absolute pain if you get all cheques xx

You know you have made me think. I have quite a few customers who pay by chq. I so find it inconvenient I know money is money but your right if you only bank at the end of the week like I do then any chq`s you have taken at the beginning of the week are not going to clear until the end of the next week. So it is really giving credit.

Occasionally if a client says oh I did`t have time to go the cash machine can I give you a chq, I will sometimes say look just drop the cash round tomorrow on your way home If I am out just put it in an envelope and post it.

I think I might stop taking chq`s in the New Year.

i only take cash....like nailzoo said "cash does not bounce" xx

Occasionally if a client says oh I did`t have time to go the cash machine can I give you a chq, I will sometimes say look just drop the cash round tomorrow on your way home If I am out just put it in an envelope and post it.
I think I might stop taking chq`s in the New Year.

Twice I have let someone do this, and now, I don't anymore.
People like to "take the piss" sometimes, and I do NOT like chasing my money down. If everything is paid upfront... then no one's unhappy.
My neighbor took me for a "run for my money". For months, she was always behind. Pay a little here, then add 2 more services, pay a bit there, never ridding the debt, only increasing it. Finally I put my foot down and said enough is enough. she got nasty, and I pointed out that I'M DOING HER the favor and that I HAVE BILLS TOO! She said "I just won't get my nails done anymore" , and so I said "you're right, you won't until the bill is paid. Feel free to go to the NSS and see if they run on credit".
Within a week, the bill was paid and she pays upfront all the time now. but it was ridiculous.. I had to hound her every 2wks and was getting FED UP! Made me feel bad, asking for my own hard earned money to pay for the products USED ON HER. I don't want to be that uncomfortable again.

My only exception is my long time friend who lives 2 blocks away. Mind you, she orders Melaleuca for me,and I sell Avon to her, and so... we just balance everything up at the end of the month. A lot easier than passing the cash back and forth several times :lol:
BUT we've known each other since highschool AND... we're very close friends AND she's very responsible with her money.
Different than paying clients, who at some point, might want to run a 'tab':irked:

You can't buy a newspaper or a coffee or get gas without money, WHY should anyone get nails without money???
This is a BUSINESS!!

ive been thinking about stopping cheques too but i would have to weigh up taking on the additional charges from a card machine, which i think still takes a few days to hit our accounts ?

yes many shops now do not take cheques, but remember they do offer alternative payment methods other than cash, do we take cash only and then hope client/s dont turn up have their nails done and "forget to go the cash machine" or continue taking cash or cheques (with guarantee cards) ... mind you having said that ive also had the odd one turn up without cash or cheques ! i guess this is where the investment of a card machines comes into play as then someone would have to completely forget their purse not to pay

im going to stick with cheques for the time being as im not sure i feel happy just offering one method of payment, ie cash, not sure what if any alternatives there are other than incurring charges from a card machine and then still waiting for the money to hit the account

i'm watching this thread with interest

kx

I hate cheques and that was one of my reasons for installing a card payment system. Now I rarely have cheques and life is much easier.

I don't think it's unreasonable to stop taking them, just put up a big sign and give your clients plenty of warning of the date from which you intend to stop taking them. Sainsburys and Tescos have stopped taking them too

I took my first and last cheque last week,
I have decided I will not accept cheques now..I have put so on my website and will be saying so on price lists too,

It was a major hassle for me...I took the cheque last week and only managed to get it to the bank yesterday..now have to wait until Friday in the hope it clears..

Its a pain in the bum...tbh .
I have worried over it bouncing
client went on about money worries quite a bit although she appears to have money and also went on about horse riding lessons and disneyland holidays ...oh to be that poor :rolleyes::green:

although on the other hand , she was amazed with custom blending as she has always wanted something like that, but never knew it existed,
she always got her old tech to place whites higher to give an appearance of a longer nail bed...but then obviously needed re-balances quite often...
so she did seem mightily impressed lol,
so i do feel positive it will not bounce now.....watch this space hahahaha

I would rather have the cash and know i have been paid...rather than hope to god i get paid the week after when client is a week away for infills !

I have taken a few cheques now, but over over we are able to draw from our cheques straight away up to a certain limit. I must admit though everytime I take one I think - what if it bounces? So I only take them from regulars.

I know EXACTLY how you feel and have thought about this a LOT myself.

I have the same old crew that always have paid by cheque and i feel i cant say anything now:irked::irked:

Cocks up cashflow too sometimes GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Asda have a sign now saying they do not accept cheques on all their checkouts (but they do take cards which i dont) HOPEFULLY they will do away with cheques in the near future.

AMb xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

well most of my clients have been with me 2-3 years but the two cheques i have had bounced were regular clients ! i won't tarr everyone with the same brush but really what are we to them ?

im not sure they all see us the same way we see all of them ! i trust them all even the two that let me down and i never saw them or their money again !

im steering now towards dropping cheques and taking the hit with the card machines ! im so fickle

if i did cash only i just know that someone would forget the cash ! they do now so what can you do ... stop being so nice and treat our business like a business i guess !

kx

I have taken a few cheques now, but over over we are able to draw from our cheques straight away up to a certain limit. I must admit though everytime I take one I think - what if it bounces? So I only take them from regulars.

Cash only for me too

I don't think your being unreasonable at all, they're now advertising in petrol stations that they won't except cheques for much longer, it seems like they are on their way out. I've had a client who paid with a cheque but asked if I could not bank it until the end of the month as thats when she got paid! Also theres nothing to stop a one off client giving a false address and cancelling it as soon as they walk out the door. As long as you make it definate and don't make any exceptions people will just have to get used to it, x x x

I had a cheque bounce on me only last week, luckily i have managed to get the money but that was enough for me, once bitten twice shy,
a sign is going up in my salon now
No Cheques
cash payment only
Please

I take cheques!

I reckon about half my takings or possibly more, are paid in cheques, it doesn't bother me at all. In fact when I have had a good week I'm quite relieved I haven't got a big stash of cash lying around :)

However, I did used to have to find the time to bank them and that was a minor annoyance but I recently opened an All & Leics a/c and now I do the banking at my local PO and it's easy peasy.

I think you are quite within your rights to ask for cash Angie. Give all your customers notice first so that they can adjust to the new method of payment if they have been used to paying by cheque.

Don't be like me though and take in a fake note. A customer gave me a fake £10 (quite unbeknown to her I'm sure) so remember to check the money is genuine.

I own a salon and we take cash, cheques and card payments, I have NEVER in a year of being open had ONE cheque! not a single one! It's always either cash or card. Suuuperb for me as the money from card payments is credited in roughly 24 hours, not alot of cash to bank! :green: x

I too am beginning to think about not taking cheques.
I have had trouble with one (she wrote 'eight pounds' on it and in the figures box put £18 (wish it was) bank wouldn't accept it.
And then i spend the rest of the time hoping the ones i get don't bounce.

I have one regular who pays by cheque and i don't have a problem with her - i know it will be ok and i there ever was a prob she would rectify it.

I might stop accepting them - but being mobile what happens if they have nomoney in the house only a cheque book? What do i do drive them to the cash point myself?

If it were me and i knew i had someone overto do my nails i'd make sure i had enough cash on me - but people don't tend to carry it nowadays and put it all on their cards x

Latest posts

Back