Cash or card payments?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinkyboots33

Reaction score
At The moment I work frm home and take cash payments only but I'm buying s shop and wondered whether I will need a card machine? Would like to hear views/pros and cons etc X

If you will be operating from a shop then I think the public will assume you take plastic.

Perhaps other SG bods can advise on the cheapest systems for you?

Definitely need to be able to offer card payments. Majority of what I take are by card. Lots of offers and deals to be had, use the search tool to view similar threads. If you have insurance through babtac they offer membership discounts x

Definitely take cards. I don't care if your salon is next door to a bank, it's a massive pia to have to go and draw cash out. I had a card machine working from home and I've had one in my premises and clients spend much more on cards. I retail a lot so it makes sense as clients want to get points for card use. But do your homework. Some low cost with no rental card machines charge an excessive amount. Once your clients know you take cards, cash in your salon will nose dive.

Good luck with it.

Vic x

I love my card machine, the fees are completely covered as people do spend more, if they have to draw cash from a machine to pay you they think twice about what they are spending whereas it's easier to put it to the back of your mind if your just popping your pin number in so more likely to spend more.

The cash goes into your bank as well so your not stuck with loads of cash having to go to the bank all the time.

One client I had chose to pay cash on one occasion she usually paid card and when I took the money she said ohhh have you put your prices up? That's not what I usually pay is it? Err yes it is -lol, I had never hidden the price from her but she just obviously just chose not to listen when paying by card just popping that pin number in.

Definitely need a card machine! I actually throw a little strop in shops if they don't have a card machine :rolleyes: I've even put things back and not gone back ever again, I had a card machine since day 1 & I'm glad, yes it costs money to have one but it's only a small amount, people are more inclined to buy retail if you take cards too :)

My naughty hairdresser STILL hasn't got one. I'm thinking of voting with my feet except he's lovely and doesn't mind that I swear all the time - oh and my hairs quite good too x

My naughty hairdresser STILL hasn't got one. I'm thinking of voting with my feet except he's lovely and doesn't mind that I swear all the time - oh and my hairs quite good too x
When your feet walk, i've got a chair waiting for you in my salon :) we can swear together :rolleyes: I currently owe £49 into my swear jar according to my daughter :eek: she doesn't take cards either so I'm not paying ;)

I only started taking card payments two years ago and it's made a huge difference. I don't sell masses of retail but so much more than I did before I got the card machine. It saves me going to the bank with cheques too.

Last edited:
I would recommend to use a web-based appointment scheduling system. I literally don't need to handle cash, plastic nor even mention the 'money' word as my clients pay online ahead of their booking. It's such a relief. I'm using 10to8.com for that, and they are plenty of alternatives. With 10to8, I can send manual follow-up messages if they are additional charges, which is handy too

Last edited:
Thanks guys, looks like I'll need to look into getting a card machine then x

I have a card machine but avoid using it, I work from home and aside from mini Solar Oil bottles, I don't retail anything.

I found it so frustrating that it took 5 days to clear into my account, I want something instant, if anything had gone wrong with the payment I lost track of it so I only use in emergencies now - which is never!

Many clients pay by PayPal and Bank Transfer, it's so simple, the majority are regulars and just use the apps on their phones so I'm paid at the appointment and it's instant..

I am moving into a beauty room in a gym from being home based and I know I need to get a card payment system. I am thinking of using paypal though with my ipad or iphone. Does anyone else use this?

The problem with PayPal is 1. the fees (which may not be too bad depending on the amount of card payments you take) and 2. They can whip that money back for up to 30 days without a word to you through PayPal resolution centre. PayPal 99.9% of the time always side with the buyer despite whatever the case may be.

The problem with PayPal is 1. the fees (which may not be too bad depending on the amount of card payments you take) and 2. They can whip that money back for up to 30 days without a word to you through PayPal resolution centre. PayPal 99.9% of the time always side with the buyer despite whatever the case may be.

Thank you for that info, that's really helpful to know!

Card save is only a 3 day clear

Can anyone suggest the best/cheapest cars machine or does it depend on the amount of transaction there are or how much money you take in?

Research all the main ones & haggle with the company you choose, that's what i did with card save, they beat all the other companies :) but only because I'd done research

Definitely get a card machine, and preferably one that lets them leave you a tip [emoji6]
I still have my payleven machine which I'm quite happy with, I take quite a lot each month so I'm on their lowest rate at the moment, plus it has a gratuity option which almost always I get a good tip, also I can take over the phone payments with it which is good for deposits, Soon I will be looking for a more salon friendly one but for now this ones been great. I actually prefer card payments than cash... Cash always slips out my hand to quick lol

I'm glad I came across this I was going to buy a paypal one this week but I think i'll look around now!
Is there anything I should be thinking of? I don't have an i-phone but I do have an i-pad, will that make a difference to what i choose?
I'm a bit old school LOL

Latest posts

Back