Castor oil and how it promotes eyebrow/eyelash growth

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisstyB

Reaction score
i have seen a few threads on here about castor oil and how it can help your eyebrows and lashes grow thicker, and as a the majority of my customers over 50 have sparse thinning brows I decided to do a bit of research into how it works so here goes.....

Castor oil (Ricinus communis) is an oil derived from the seed of the plant, it contains high amounts of ricinoleic acid which has great anti-inflamatory properties, its incredible nourishing and can work as deep as the stratum corneum, so is fab for dry skin or eczema to. Its a very viscous, sticky oil so should be mixed with a lighter carrier for massage. There are as yet no studies on how it works on hair regrowth, but it undoubtably does work.
Everytime we remove a hair, be it with wax or tweezers we are gradually damaging the hair follicle, in turn this means that the hairs grow back finer, shorter or sometimes not at all, using castor oil can help nourish not just the hair shaft but also the follicle itself. As terminal hair growth is mainly controlled by hormones, menopausal women are much more likely to experience thin sparse eyebrows and lashes, plus they are in the age group of people who tweezed their way through the sixties when thin arched eyebrows were the fashion.
So whats the best way to use it? I would mix 5ml of castor oil with one capsule of wheatgerm oil and then decant it into a mascara bottle (you can buy these easily on ebay) Apply to the eyebrows in the direction of the hair growth, then lightly massage with the ring finger. Be careful not to over use as it is a very heavy oil and you may end up with spots and milia if you apply to heavily. For lashes just massage the oil on gently every night, if you have sensitive skin it might be worth doing a patch test first, discontinue use if you experience any irritation. I am going to take some before pictures and then try it for a month to see whether it works or not....so will let you know. If anyone has any more info to add please do,
I also blend castor oil with avacado oil, plus basil and rosemary essential oils for a great way to encourage hair growth on the head, great for any one with fine hair or hair loss problems, just massage it onto scalp and hair before shampooing and leave for at least half and hour then shampoo and condition as usual.
tinaxxxxxxx

Ive been using my Castor oil for just under a week Ive taken before picture and will wait a month a take after pictures.

I too put it in a mascara bottle for ease of application!

Oh loving this idea. My brows are quite sparce on one side due to waxing when doing Beauty course. Would be interesting to see the results. Where would I get the wheatgerm oil from?

Going to try this. I have full eyebrows but they are patchy. Thanks for the tips! X

You can buy wheatgerm oil from any holland and barrett or Boots, best to buy it in capsules adn just add one to any other oil to prolong its shelf life, its also great for scars..just drop a few drops on twice a day!
Amelia post the pics after a month, I would love to see them, some of my clients are now using it and getting great results.
xxxx

I have been using it for a couple of months on my eyebrows now but unfortunetly have seen no difference yet :suprised:

Hi Maisy Mouse (god my daughter used to love those books!) Are you massaging as well?? Is the castor oil still fresh, once opened it goes rancid v quickly? I would keep going if I was you....lets face it its cheap and doesnt take long to do!
xxx

Wow I'm going to start using it that I'd great if it does work, I also have fine'ish hair so defo going to try it
Where can I buy caster oil from as the majority of places have stopped stocking it

Hi Maisy Mouse (god my daughter used to love those books!) Are you massaging as well?? Is the castor oil still fresh, once opened it goes rancid v quickly? I would keep going if I was you....lets face it its cheap and doesnt take long to do!
xxx

thanks for quick reply! I am massaging in well but I have had my brows tatooed - maybe thats why??? I am using jamaican black castor oil, dont know if that makes a difference?

Will keep going though as am desperate to get my brows back :D

thanks for quick reply! I am massaging in well but I have had my brows tatooed - maybe thats why??? I am using jamaican black castor oil, dont know if that makes a difference?

Will keep going though as am desperate to get my brows back :D

I think that ordinary castor oil is thicker than the Jamaican Black...could be that? xx

I think that ordinary castor oil is thicker than the Jamaican Black...could be that? xx

Ok, do you know where you can get it? This was the only stuff I could find X

Very intresting marking this for later x

I've ordered some from Amazon apparently it needs to be pure and cold pressed.

Another geek posted a link:

How Does Castor Oil Help Hair Growth

It actually says it can stop gray hair!!! I think I'm going to buy a gallon of the stuff :D

I also found this page interesting:

List of Best Oil for Hair Growth
Patchouli is great for hair loss to, I actually make a great hair balm for a client who takes very strong tablets which make her hair fall out, avacado butter, jojoba oil, caster oil ylang ylang and patchouli, she loves it!
Apparently castor oil is also good for dark circles, not sure how true this is though!
xxx

I think everyone is buying Castor oil! I have tried all my Boots, Superdrugs, Holland & Barratt's and local chemists....completely SOLD OUT!!! :-(
Wanted to avoid buying online as I wanted it yesterday!!!....but think it's the only way I'm going to get some....bring on the bushy brows!! Whoop whoop....

Castor all me up baby!

Would love to see all the results! x

Just marking this.. Looks like I need castor oil in my life!

Asda sell it! I just picked up a bottle of castor oil from Asda Isle of Dogs. It was in the beauty aisle....located where the Asian/Ethnic products, hair dyes, treatments etc were. There were some lovely oils there to choose from X

Sent from my AT100 using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back