Castor oil disaster: what happened?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serendipity13

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a very short pixie cut and I wanted to try and give my hair some more thickness.
I bought Naissance Castor Oil and I was told to slather my hair with it for 2 hours or overnight. I put a cap on and slept with it.
I woke up late so the castor oil had been on my hair for 10 hours. I rinced and shampooed, to remove the excess of oil.
The result horrified me: my hair is now really, really thin, like baby hair. And it looks like I've lost a third of my hair. It's worse than any other things I've done to my hair, but it was supposed to be harmless!

Can someone tell me what happened so I don't make the same mistake again?
Was it:
- the length?
- the cap? (not heating cap, just a simple shower cap)
- an unusual reaction?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1778.PNG
    IMG_1778.PNG
    353.4 KB · Views: 124
Castor oil has no benefits to the hair.

It may be that it's just lank from the oil stuck to the hair.

Castor oil has no benefits to the hair.

It may be that it's just lank from the oil stuck to the hair.

I shampooed it twice since then and no change.

And it's one thing not to have any benefits, but it's another to have created this disaster :( ...

The best thing to do now is start using a volumizing shampoo and use some gentle styling products that add lift and body to the hair.

I don't know why the castor oil would do this to the hair but I don't know much about castor oil!

I shampooed it twice since then and no change.

And it's one thing not to have any benefits, but it's another to have created this disaster :( ...
You need a chelating shampoo or just go for the simple but effective washing up liquid, to break down the oils that your hair and scalp are coated in, and then look at a volumising shampoo and conditioner / or thickening shampoo and conditioner. And volumising products.
Nioxin is great for making the hair feel thicker, it swells the diameter of the hair, making it appear thicker and the diaboost is fantastic but expensive, so maybe try the thickening styling gel instead! And it also improves scalp condition and boosts circulation, so will create the perfect growing space for new hair, and allow it to grow at its optimum speed and condition.

You need a chelating shampoo or just go for the simple but effective washing up liquid, to break down the oils that your hair and scalp are coated in, and then look at a volumising shampoo and conditioner / or thickening shampoo and conditioner. And volumising products.
Nioxin is great for making the hair feel thicker, it swells the diameter of the hair, making it appear thicker and the diaboost is fantastic but expensive, so maybe try the thickening styling gel instead! And it also improves scalp condition and boosts circulation, so will create the perfect growing space for new hair, and allow it to grow at its optimum speed and condition.

Amazing, thank you so much for the advice! I will try that :) I've always had thin hair but I didn't realize how thin they really were until I got a pixie cut ;) Now I must use volumizing products. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back