cat up-date

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nail Perfection

Reaction score
Hi there.

A couple of weeks ago I posted saying that I was being nagged by my kids and hubby for a cat. Well I finally caved in and we are now the proud owners of "wee Bobby"!

He is only 9 months old and we got him from the Cat Protection people. He was looking for a new home and his brother had already been re-homed so we couldn't resist. He is jet black and this type of cat would not have been my first choice but he really is adorable. He is very affectionate and playful, perfect for my 2 boys, who love him to bits.

He is litter trained and seems to be the perfect cat at the moment. He eats everything put down to him, although he is not so keen on dry food. We are trying not to over feed him cos I think he would eat all day if we let him!

I am a little concerned that he scratches his neck so much. I was told he had no fleas and I have just put a flea collar on him. I don't know if the collar is bothering him or maybe the microchip inserted recently?

Another concern are the long sharp claws he has. Do any of you know if the vet would trim them for us or is this a no no. At the moment he is only indoors but we plan to let him out after 2 weeks so maybe he needs his claws so long to climb trees?

Hopefully some of you cat owners can answer my questions.

Thanks

Sharon

Congratulations on your new arrival!

He might not like the collar at first if he isn't used to wearing one but they soon get used to them, if it seems to really bother him perhaps take the bell off for a while until he becomes acustomed (sp).

Usually they don't need their claws trimming as when they're outside they wear them down themselves, if he's been inside at the cats protection for a while he might not have been able to do this. You can get trimmers for their claws which look very much like tip cutters! You need to be careful when trimming the clarw not to go to far down to the quick as this has nerves and blood vessles in.

HTH's a little x x x

congratulations on your new edition to your family !!!!! if your cat does not get on with the collar what about the liquid flea killers......i have them for my dog (yes i know its 2 different animals!!) but i am sure cats can have them....you just put it on its neck every 2 monthe....it also kills fleas that have fell off him/her so you dont have to bother about flea powders,etc...xxx

Thanks for your replies.

I might take the collar off if he does keep scratching. The thing is the collar looks great next to his black fur, it's a silver sparkly one! I thought the bell would be good for when he goes outside to reduce the chance of him bringing home a mouse or bird!

I will see how it goes. If he does have fleas, can they be transferred to humans?

yes huni they can....thats why i have the flea stuff for my dog....this flea killer will not only kill fleas on your cat it will kill them in your house....you have to go to vets to get it...for my dog it cost £35 per year xxx

He could be allergic to his collar which is why he keeps scratching mine used to get eczema because of his flea collar. Re his claws I trim one of mines with nail clippers just nip the ends off, mine doesnt go out due to having cancer in his eye last year, and we have a lot of bully boy cats about so I cant let him out coz they sneak up on his blind side:mad:
I use frontline for the fleas which is easier than a collar just once a month or two empty the pippette of stuff on his neck and hey presto.. no more fleas.
By the way bells dont work hun, mine still brings home, mice, birds, squirrels, weasels and snakes lovely prezzies me thinks.......NOT!!!!
HTH
Jen

Latest posts

Back