Certificate delays-endless issues with course!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This may be a bit confusing but I'll try and be clear. I'm extremely annoyed, frustrated, upset, everything rolled into one because I feel that this situation is holding me back from purchasing certain products, signing up to trade companies and furthering my business.

In October 2013 I began a Level 2 manicure course at my local college, 2 nights a week (which was suppose to be 8 weeks long) and was also enrolled to do level 2 nail technology straight after (which was another 8 weeks) and then start nail art straight after that (which would be for 4 weeks). Almost nearing the completion of the manicure course, the 2 top heads of the beauty faculty came in to hold an emergency meeting. Our course was undergoing major changes because City & Guilds were taking over the course and adding in loads of extra stuff so they added 50 hours on top of (which wasn't a problem, I preferred it, it just annoyed me that this had happened only a couple of weeks before the end of the course). We had to do assignments on health and safety, biology and anatomy, physics, and working in a salon/marketing, sales, promoting etc. after a massive hoohaar from the students and staff complaining to the heads of faculty how the marking and course content was all a mess we got on with the course and got it done with along with the Nail Tech course too. Manicure finished in mid-February and we began nail tech in March and completed it at the end of June. Half way through Nail Technology, we were told the WHOLE of nail art was cancelled because of the extra weeks that were added on to the other 2 parts of the course, but our lovely tutor incorporated nail art into out nail tech every so often so we didnt miss out, we just didnt get a qualification for that. we were told that we would get our certificates by August through the post. They never arrived. Throughout both courses we were never kept informed about what was going on. We had to keep asking when things kept changing eg: course content, marking procedures. At one point we were told we wouldn't have to sit an exam we have to complete assignments only then last minute we were told to revise like mad because the tutors were told we must complete online examinations in order to qualify. I understand it wasn't down to my tutor, she was lovely throughout and felt really messed around herself. She then resigned from her role at the college because all the staff were told they had to reapply for their jobs as the college were making redundancies etc. it was all a big mess but she promised to see us through the whole course until it finished before she left , which respectfully she did do and was a fantastic support to us all.

So my certificates have not arrived. I rang today to ask them what is going on, they've informed me that they have experienced some difficulties with the EV and we should hopefully hear back in a couple of weeks or so. I told the lady in a very respectful way that this isn't really my problem and throughout the past few months of doing this course we've had nothing but mix ups and nobody telling us anything and now the delays with our certificates means I can't further myself in my profession because I want to do other courses and sign up to trade salon supplies companies and without those certificates I can't do this. She has told me she can't help me further but it is a priority and they are doing their best to sort this out.

It really is disheartening. I signed up to added more services to my existing business thinking that I would get trough the course and would be able to hit 2013 with a bang, new products, new services, really start to make a go of things. Now it's almost a year on and I'm still not getting anywhere with this new venture of mine! nobody seems to want to help or do anything about it. She wouldn't give me an answer as to when my certificates will actually arrive she said "they haven't been claimed for yet due to issues with the EV so it is being reviewed hopefully in a couple of weeks".

I'm not too sure where to go from here now. It's been a nightmare. Obstacle after obstacle! uuurrrrggghhh. Please do excuse me for the long essay of a post. Just trying to make my frustration clear :(

xProjectPrettyx

Am I right in thinking that it is a manicure certificate you need to allow you to open an account? In your place I would be looking at available courses to do a quick one day manicure course, get the certificate and get started.
The college situation sounds so muddled and could take ages to sort. Courses are not expensive and you could have made that back in a few treatments with the right products.
I know that you shouldn't have to, but it might be the quickest solution right now.

Can you not get something signed by the head of exams or someone from city and guilds to say you have attended and completed the course and are awaiting certificates? I misplaced my GCSE certificates during a house move and got the head of my old schools exams office to list my quals and grades and confirmed dates of attendance and city and guilds accepted this as proof of qualification, worth a try Hun xxx

Am I right in thinking that it is a manicure certificate you need to allow you to open an account? In your place I would be looking at available courses to do a quick one day manicure course, get the certificate and get started.
The college situation sounds so muddled and could take ages to sort. Courses are not expensive and you could have made that back in a few treatments with the right products.
I know that you shouldn't have to, but it might be the quickest solution right now.

This whole college situation has left me with a year long headache almost. the whole reason I went to the college in the first place was to get a legit NVQ qualification. I think it might be a manicure certificate but I'm not sure. I find it ridiculous that I completed that part of the course in mid-feb and 6 months on still haven't received my certificate for that! it wasn't even a joint course because a handful of people didnt go on to doing the Nail Technology after that. I feel like I've out so much time and effort into the course, really worked hard, even got great feedback from the clients that used to come into our college to get their nails done and it's all been a waste of time. seems I'll be waiting another month or so for actual certificates to come through.

xProjectPrettyx

Can you not get something signed by the head of exams or someone from city and guilds to say you have attended and completed the course and are awaiting certificates? I misplaced my GCSE certificates during a house move and got the head of my old schools exams office to list my quals and grades and confirmed dates of attendance and city and guilds accepted this as proof of qualification, worth a try Hun xxx

I didnt actually think of this because my head was so clouded with being annoyed and frustrated. I'll get on to them now and check :)

xProjectPrettyx

Do it :) I'm sure they'll hop to it if you tell them they're actually stopping you from working, it's worth a try anyway, and hopefully S2 will be ok with this until the real certs come through :) xx

After being on hold to the exams department, they just cut me off. So angry!!

xProjectPrettyx

Round 3 of phone calls, the lady that deals with everything to do with City and Guilds isn't available as she's on another call, so they've taken my details down and what content I need/want for the letter and they said the lady in charge of City and Guilds courses will get back to me... I'm not feeling very hopeful at the moment as they just seem so unorganised. *sighs*

xProjectPrettyx

Keep hounding them Hun, it's the only way!! Xx

This whole college situation has left me with a year long headache almost. the whole reason I went to the college in the first place was to get a legit NVQ qualification. I think it might be a manicure certificate but I'm not sure. I find it ridiculous that I completed that part of the course in mid-feb and 6 months on still haven't received my certificate for that! it wasn't even a joint course because a handful of people didnt go on to doing the Nail Technology after that. I feel like I've out so much time and effort into the course, really worked hard, even got great feedback from the clients that used to come into our college to get their nails done and it's all been a waste of time. seems I'll be waiting another month or so for actual certificates to come through.

xProjectPrettyx

Are you currently working? What are your plans?

As I suggested, get a manicure course sorted and get an account with a supplier. You will need to move fast if you want to make the most of the christmas market.

By all means chase them for your certificates, after all you did all the hard work, but in the meantime, you need to put your efforts into getting the best products to work with and retail.

Do you have an enrolment letter or email? As I think some salon suppliers will accept this. I'm pretty sure that Sally's at least will do this, even if they won't accept you as a qualified technician they will accept you as a student. This probably goes for some other companies too, so it's worth calling/emailing/visiting the stores you want to buy from and explaining your situation with your enrolment documents to back you up. Also with your enrolment correspondence I think you will manage to find at least student insurance if that's needed also. I really hope you do get your certificates soon though, your frustration is totally understandable. Deep breaths and try relax.

I'm not too sure where to go from here now. It's been a nightmare. Obstacle after obstacle! uuurrrrggghhh. Please do excuse me for the long essay of a post. Just trying to make my frustration clear :(
xProjectPrettyx
This is a really nightmare situation but there is a light at the end of this tunnel - I got my trade card at Sally's as a student, I only needed to print off the e-mail I got when I enrolled the course. I can't remember if my Capital card was on the same basis but it's very likely, you'd need to check with them. So there's an access to professional products sorted as you must have some proof that you study at the college. Those student cards expire at some point but will do for a while.
As someone suggested it's a good idea you'd sign up for a cheap, even 1 day course so you can get certificate and insurance - decide what you wanna do, maybe initially only gel polish as it's the most popular? Again both Sally's and Capital do courses like this frequently - at least you could get your career started, hopefully meanwhile all this mess at the college would get sorted.
Remember that college is not the only one to provide training and qualification, also their courses take ages - nowadays it's better, cheaper and easier to train with wholesalers or brands.
Good luck! :)

I had to wait ages for my C&G certificates. My college did me a letter for insurance company so I could get cover before certificate arrived.

Thanks for all the feedback. I did have to breathe and do a little WOOSAH! I've looked at a couple of courses I might just enrol on and get it out the way. It's just disheartening after all the effort I put in along side running my business and holding down a job too. I have potential clients and feel like I'm losing out on business because they can't pull their finger out their *bleeeeep* and claim our certificates!

The lady did call me back but it was a pretty pointless call. She didnt seem very convincing when telling me they were waiting for the go ahead from the EV to "claim the certificates" whatever that means. That's all she kept saying, kept repeating what I already know and couldn't give me any answers. She said she couldn't give me a letter stating my grades but can send out something to state I've done the course and i am await certs and grades, but wouldn't tell me when I'd receive that either.

I think I might just put my own complaint in. Such a frustrating waiting period!

xProjectPrettyx

Sorry to hear that you're having so much trouble getting your certificate of qualification.
EV usually stands for External Verifier. From the information you have provided, I'm just guessing that the college is struggling to get approval for the NVQ award from City & Guilds.
I know it's not uncommon for colleges to begin teaching courses without having obtained the final approval from C&G and assume that this will be a tick box formality, which in most cases, it is. However, as your college had to change the delivery of the course quite considerably, it may be that C&G are still unhappy about aspects of it meeting their requirements. Hence the ongoing discussions with the EV.

I recommend checking with C&G directly to see if your course has been accredited as an NVQ yet.
Your college can award you a certificate themselves, just the same as the lady down the street can award a certificate for painting nails but until the course is accredited, any certificate from the College may be worthless when trying to obtain insurance.

You might have to wait a bit longer for your NVQ but as others have said, you could probably do a short course in the meantime if you desperately need a qualification.

Let us know how you get on.

Last edited:
Hiya ProjectPretty,

I really feel your frustration.

It is my understanding (and maybe I could have this wrong) but as a student you would need to have been registered with the VTCT for Registration and Examination in respect of the NVQ qualification. It might be an idea to check with them to see if you are in fact registered with them. They can also tell you if your college is a certified NVQ training centre, and the date they were accredited.

At least this way it will give you some idea of what is going on with the college, and what you can expect in terms of receiving your certificates. They also have a complaints procedure if you wanted to go along those lines.

I hope this helps x

I've not had the chance to check up on C&G or VTCT about my college, ive literally just walked through the door as I've had a majorly busy day. Thank you also much for letting me know who to chase and contact about this situation I'm having with my college though. Will definitely look into it tomorrow because I am so close to making a complaint now.

The "City of (My Town) College" allow real clients to book and we also have a spa with a price list so it all works and runs like a business as well as a college. Initially, when the change over was happening, we were told that it the original course stands as a quick fix and we would only get an "Award" only but changing over to C&G would mean we would need to put in 50 extra hours of extra added work. This included physiology and anatomy, physics and science behind the chemicals, health and safety around a salon and business studies to help start or grow a salon/spa business. The original syllabus was purely practical with only a little bit of theory, which was the structure of the skin and nails. So in this sense the C&G change over was more beneficial. C&G Syllabus was marked as Pass, Merit or Distinction and rather than only having an accredited "Award" we would all receive an accredited "Certificate" instead, which is apparently heap loads better than an award when it comes to employability etc. All I was told once I did my practicals was "well done you've got a distinction". This was word of mouth. Since then I've not been told anything, haven't received anything in writing and the college themselves couldn't confirm my grade over the phone yesterday. They seemed completed clueless, as if they were covering things up. They've made us take on an extended course with heap loads of theoretical assignments as well as work on real clients and now they can't tell us anything about the course and our qualifications. What a joke. This whole ordeal right now feels like a total waste of time.

Reading my own posts on this topic makes me feel all re-angry again lol

xProjectPrettyx

I'M SO ANGRY!!! I actually feel like 1) crying and 2) writing a massive letter of complaint to my college!

I've received a letter finally, it states nothing at all to prove that I have done a manicure course, it does however state that I have completed a Nail Technology course with the completely wrong dates (Nov to Jan). They said that's all they have on their systems! So i rang them again today telling them how wrong they have gotten the letter. they told me that is all the information they have on their systems and that there is no record of a manicure course! They gave me another lady's number and told me to ring her as she was a co-ordinator and this woman isn't available. She's not answering her phone. I rang C&G, who have told me they aren't allowed to discuss anything with me as I'm not a course provider. I'm so angry I feel like I'm just being fobbed off over and over! nobody seems to want to tell me anything at all!!!

xProjectPrettyx

they told me that is all the information they have on their systems and that there is no record of a manicure course!
This is unbelievable :eek:
Sorry, I know it's not very informative post but I just can't believe it!
Do a quick manicure course ASAP and if you paid any money for the college start thinking of getting solicitor to claim your money back. I hope I'm wrong but it seems that the course hasn't been acredited indeed - god knows when you'll get your cert, if you get it. It's gotta be some timescale for it?
Unbelievable.

Do yo mean oct 2012 as were only in september x lol x

Ye i would hound them too or they will just leave it until its convenient for them xx

Latest posts

Back