Certificates

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's nothing to do with cost……..it's just that keep being lost by the PO.

I hope I didn't imply you were worried about cost. I just meant since everyone else seemed ok with PDF those that wanted a hard copy should be happy to pay the postage :)

I'd still say sign on delivery is your best bet. Stupid post office. As Monica in friends said: it should be the lost office :) x

I hope I didn't imply you were worried about cost. I just meant since everyone else seemed ok with PDF those that wanted a hard copy should be happy to pay the postage :)

I'd still say sign on delivery is your best bet. Stupid post office. As Monica in friends said: it should be the lost office :) x
No of course I didn't think you were implying that:)

I don't think I'll go down the route of signed for post as that will be more cost and aggro. Just want to make it simpler x

Hi Kim

I can't help really with the postal issues other than say if a certificate is returned then the person could maybe contacted by email, saying it has been returned. I know you already have those details for sending out pack information. Advise them that if they wish for another one there will be a fee for re-printing and sending by recorded/special delivery or sent by pdf.

I know this is more work for you and a bit of a faff.

With regards to PDF files being altered by unscrupulous people, yes they can be edited, even if locked. Someone will always find a way, especially if they have the correct software and determined enough to do it.

Even a hard copy can be changed, a good scanner saved to a pdf file and edited. So easily taken from a website unless that has been locked in some way. I know your website is because I tried to copy your postal address to put in AA route finder. I'll have to put that on my website when updated!

I sound like a crook, seriously, I'm not, hubby is a printer and edits artwork all the time. Even with the Apple and no software it can be done, although a lot of hard work for anyone.

Maybe as suggested incorporate postal charges into your fees but not until I have done my course with you, :Grope:

We send all our certs now by email.

And not ashamed to say that there is a cost factor involved! With the amount of 'students' we see in a month the printing and recorded delivery postage costs were pretty much the same as we pay for rent of our premises!

As has already been mentioned there will no doubt be people who will alter certificates. I think generally nearly everyone is good and honest, but there will always be the odd one.

Case in point from last week - a girl left one of our courses and took a training head 'by mistake' that was not included in her kit (5 others managed not to make the same mistake). Contacted her...yes really sorry I would like to keep it I will call and pay...nothing. Emails and phone messages left...still nothing. The one saving grace is that we have not sent her certificate, so she is currently not qualified or insured. BUT, we find out with a bit of digging that she is already installing extensions and claiming to be qualified.

All of this because she cant be bothered to post the head back, or pay for it. At least she doent have a certificate to alter:lol:

In our opinion though these type of people do not generally make a successful business for themselves.....so if anyone new pops up in the Tipton area offering extensions ask to see her qualifications and insurance!!

I think I would personally prefer a hard copy - it's a bit like photographs for me, I love taking them digitally and it's awesome being able to edit them there and then. But, once I've finished doing what I'm doing, I have them printed out in books.

However, if it's easier and would save time then the PDF would be best. Perhaps offer a choice?

Imagine my surprise when this person, who had friended me on Facebook, posted the following:
"haha, just managed to blag a free pot of xxx from the stupid supplier"
Oh lovely! Not only dishonest but stupid with it!

If it was me, I would want a hard copy of any certifcates I had earned. I'd also begrudge paying to have a PDF file printed after I had already paid out for the course. I would expect the cost of the certifcate to be included in the course fee's.

I was anoyned enough when I had to pay the postage and collect my CND Manicure certifcate from a royal mail depot because it was sent out with no postage paid on it.

Sam xxx

I think I would like the choice, mainly because I have a laptop which for some strange reason does not like PDF.

But for those who have decent laptops or computers it's a great idea.

There are ways of altering PDFs unfortunately and someone, somewhere, at some point will start reproducing them and possibly selling them on, what then - lots of untrained people with bogus certificates.

I know you will say but they won't be insured, but most people who would purchase a bogus certificate probably won't be bothered about insured anyway.

I certainly won't be sending any of my certificates out via pdf.

Personally, if I'd been on a course and by all accounts the KL ones aren't inexpensive, I would expect to have a proper certificate included in my course fee.

If post going missing is an issue, then for an extra paltry 95p you can send them recorded signed for.

A PDF is a bonus for satisfaction of having passed the course & for insurance purposes, but for me, you can't beat the feeling of having a proper certificate on proper certificate paper.

I think if I paid money for a course I expect to have my cert sent out without being charged for it,after all I have done the course so I am entitled to it.

It's a good idea to send it via email but should always have a hard copy at home if something was to happen to your email/trainers database etc etc.

I think it would be quite rude to be charged, most of my courses have been £500+ so if I had to pay for my cert I would look somewhere else as shouldn't it be including in the cost of the course? X x

This seems like a perfectly acceptable, cost effective, expeditious solution. I say, go for it!

I don't think Kim is questioning the fact that she should charge for sending out. Her problem, if I'm reading this correctly, is that the PO are returning some back to her folded and undelivered. I think up until now she includes this in her fees. At least I've not been told the certificate is extra to post out.

So as a way to avoid, not only time and effort on her part, to look at an alternative option.

At least I hope that I have read it correctly.

I think for us we would prefer a hard copy for the very simple reason of digital copy can get lost when the of crashes or the external melts or what ever at least with a hard copy we can scan it and have the best of both world but the original would be safe

Why not send them in tubes Kim? They won't get folded that way and if you send them recorded delivery, 70p extra they should arrive ok. :wink2:

Sorry guys but just to clarify. I don't give two hoots about the cost of postage as you've paid good money to do the training and you earned your qualification, so I would hardly begrudge anyone the coat of a stamp. In actual fact, it will cost me more to pay my PA to spend a day each month emailing certs, so cost is not the issue

There are three issues:-

1. Quite of lot of them don't reach their destination or they arrive battered and torn, despite being in a DO NOT BEND hard backed envelope.

2. Most people don't actually display a certificate (maybe they're mobile or not into wall decorations) so they could reduce the size if they wanted to keep it handy to show people.

3. Would people find it easier to have a PDF that they can attach to CV's, email to insurers etc.

There are three issues:-

1. Quite of lot of them don't reach their destination or they arrive battered and torn, despite being in a DO NOT BEND hard backed envelope.

2. Most people don't actually display a certificate (maybe they're mobile or not into wall decorations) so they could reduce the size if they wanted to keep it handy to show people.

3. Would people find it easier to have a PDF that they can attach to CV's, email to insurers etc.

#3 is especially convenient, Kim. There's also the added benefit that the PDF file may be saved on the device of the recipient's choice (hard drive, CD, flash) and the recipient may also print the certificate on the paper of their choice and as many times as they need directly from their own printer.

It depends on the design of the cert, how snazzy they are!

Like the CND certs are amazing!! But my dermalogica are A5 just printed of and handed out at the end of class!! them i could do with out! but i still like the fact they i have a copy of my certs and i dont display them but i like to have them all nicely in a folder!

Do you get many that do not pass first time round? as when your students leave you can hand them out and if there is one student just leave them till last and explain that you would like them to come back again so they can fine tune there skills and will get it then! i cant imagine many people dont pass, so could you give them out on the day?

I've been on courses where my name on the certificate was spelt wrong. With the time delay in getting another sent out for it still to be wrong, I think i'd have appreciated the speed of someone being able to correct and 'ping' it straight back. Sure it's great to have that certificate waiting on your doormat and you know you've got another for the collection but for speed of it I'd like the pdf.

I know what people mean about editing them...not sure how you'd get round that one.

😃

Personally, I want a proper certificate.

PDF would be good for emailing to insurers etc but i still want a hard copy for my salon

Do you get many that do not pass first time round? as when your students leave you can hand them out and if there is one student just leave them till last and explain that you would like them to come back again so they can fine tune there skills and will get it then! i cant imagine many people dont pass, so could you give them out on the day?
I wouldn't want to embarrass anyone and I hate those course that give an automatic pass. I get your point though. x

Latest posts

Back