Certificates

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim Lawless

Grande Dame of the Brazilian Wax for Men and Women
Reaction score
Hi geeks, I'd appreciate your views please.

I don't give my certificates out on the day of training as it's not an automatic pass. I send them out in the post and those that didn't quite make the grade are discretely invited back for free training/practical assessment.

I'm finding more and more that certificates are being returned by the post office (folded of course) even though they were correctly addressed or they simply don't make it to where they were going and I then have to re-print and re-send to the student who has already waited a long while.

As most people don't or can't (mobile therapists) display a certificate, I'm wondering if the time has come to just email a PDF of their certificate so that they can email it to their insurer asap, attach to CV's and they can either keep it safe in a file on their computer, iPad etc or print it off if they need to.

What do you think? x

Why don't you give people the choice? (I know it make more work for you)

I'm not in a position to display my certificates but as soon as I can I will...can wait to get my shellac and Brisa gel ones up as there different.

I do keep all my a4 ones in my record of achievement that I got given at school. And I took them to interviews with me.

Hth

Laura. X

I think a PDF is just fine, there are many low cost on-line printers if one should choose to get it printed to display on their wall. X

i think it's a great idea.

very efficient and as you say so handy for insurance etc...

I would personally prefer PDF, for the speed it would be delivered and convenience of being able to use for various purposes then. You can get a piece of nice paper from the stationers if you wanted to print it x

It's more environmentally friendly that way too if you're into all that! Xx

My insurers used to get a minor spelling mistake wrong, not great when its your name made out! so eventually over the past 2-3 years they have phased out the hard copy unless required, which the will eventually be sent laminated. if required. But for me to know its all be processed my insurers always send a pdf when everything has gne throu, it is easily to read and stored to file. My only thing is i think you could do both as a option in case pdf doesnt open or computer crashes etc. hths xoxo

PDF is fine.
As for the royal mail I no longer send anything at all unless it's a signed for service.

You could send as a pdf and explain to students the various reasons you have done this (as you stated above) and if they would like a copy printed (if they didn't want to print it at home) they could contact you then? This way you don't automatically have to do both and it still gives people the traditional option of receiving your printed certificate if they want/need it xx

not very computer savvy Kim, but if you sent it by pdf is there any chance that the receiver could change it by, say, adding someone else's name on it, so that someone not trained by you could wrongly use one of your certificates? Like I say, not computer savvy, but just a thought to protect yourself?

not very computer savvy Kim, but if you sent it by pdf is there any chance that the receiver could change it by, say, adding someone else's name on it, so that someone not trained by you could wrongly use one of your certificates? Like I say, not computer savvy, but just a thought to protect yourself?
No, a PDF can't be changed Elaine:) Just realise who you are!

Thanks for all the input guys. I think that this will be the way forward from now on. x

I'm going to be the odd one out and say I'd rather have my certificate sent to me although having a pdf file as well is a good idea.
I think I'd be a bit cheesed off if I paid for a course and had to print my own certificate.

I agree. I definitely would want mine printed for me and sent to me. A PDF would be handy but I'd say just ask the students individually if they would like it printed or PDF.

I'll be sure to let you know when I come to train with you that I want mine printed. Oh and I'll even pay the extra for sign on delivery! :) x

A PDF file is in the main a good idea, however they are not secure as people think.

There are free websites about that can "unlock" PDF files so they can be edited! :eek:

Just something to be aware of.

I'm just about to take delivery of adobe acrobat X pro which is the proper software to create, and more importantly, to edit PDFs. I will check whether there is a function whereby the document can be protected against unauthorised editing.
Kim, if you're producing very fancy certificates then I'd be tempted to build into the course price the cost of sending out the certificate Signed For. As I said earlier I send nothing out unless it's trackable.
One of my trade customers ordered a single pot of product from me at £50 plus vat. I naively sent it out regular post and it "didn't arrive". I sent out another pot, this time signed for and all was well.
Imagine my surprise when this person, who had friended me on Facebook, posted the following:
"haha, just managed to blag a free pot of xxx from the stupid supplier"

I put a comment on the post saying "hmmm" and she then promptly defriended me.

I'd be happy with a PDF with one exception - CND - those certificates are highly covetable in their original form!

I would like a certificate in print and as said before would be happy to pay the delivery cost, but would like a PDF to for speed and efficiency so it can be forwarded to insurers kept safe incase hard copy gets lost etc. but there is something very satisfying about going on a training course and then receiving ur certificate!
🌸

personally i think i'd prefer a hard copy of my certificate from a course. I think also you may be permanently being contacted by previous students telling you they can't remember where they saved it blah blah (think that would be me :confused:!) could you please resent!

Also with regard to pdf i thought there were certain packages /ways you could use to edit them even if they have a lock on them - could be wrong though.

I'm just about to take delivery of adobe acrobat X pro which is the proper software to create, and more importantly, to edit PDFs. I will check whether there is a function whereby the document can be protected against unauthorised editing.
Kim, if you're producing very fancy certificates then I'd be tempted to build into the course price the cost of sending out the certificate Signed For. As I said earlier I send nothing out unless it's trackable.
One of my trade customers ordered a single pot of product from me at £50 plus vat. I naively sent it out regular post and it "didn't arrive". I sent out another pot, this time signed for and all was well.
Imagine my surprise when this person, who had friended me on Facebook, posted the following:
"haha, just managed to blag a free pot of xxx from the stupid supplier"

I put a comment on the post saying "hmmm" and she then promptly defriended me.

unbelievable! Some people never cease to amaze!

It's nothing to do with cost……..it's just that keep being lost by the PO.

Latest posts

Back