Chair rental during lockdown

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angie1098

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone new of the legal aspect of paying chair rent during lockdown.. The salon where I rent a chair have invoiced me for all the weeks we have been off, and no doubt I will be invoiced for more when we go back. We finished work on 23rd March
But my contract actually ran out on the 4th April. I know the salon has received the ten thousand grant and all the staff are furloughed. They are saying I have to pay it when/if i return, and there would probably be a rent and commission increase as they would want to renew my contract. .. Although I got money from my self-employment scheme, this was only up to the end of May.. I can apply for another but not till August.. I just wanted to know if I had to pay it as my contract ran out..
Anyone with any answers?

You need to check in detail your agreement with them.
Does it state that it expired on 4th April, or that is the date it will renew unless either side terminates it? You know like lots of car or travel insurance auto renew unless you cancel.

If you had to give notice, and didn't, then the terms of the agreement stand. Whether not being able to work as the salon is closed could be a reason not to enforce it is debatable based on what the agreement says.

Have you had any contact with the management since the business closed? Have you been part of any discussions, or conversations regarding going back to work where they may have taken your participation as agreement to continue?
Do you want to go back to them? Could you give notice to leave anyway? What timeframe is that?

Do some digging, see what you agreed to then have a think.

Don't end your agreement just yet, you might be able to get a discretionary grant from your local council. I live in Manchester and they're giving £5k to micro businesses who had a tenancy agreement in place on 11 March, and were paying at least £1.5k a year in rent. It applies to anyone who rents a space but doesn't pay rates.

Don't end your agreement just yet, you might be able to get a discretionary grant from your local council. I live in Manchester and they're giving £5k to micro businesses who had a tenancy agreement in place on 11 March, and were paying at least £1.5k a year in rent. It applies to anyone who rents a space but doesn't pay rates.
Can I ask did you receive this?

Can I ask did you receive this?
No, I pay rates so I got the full payout but I know other people who rent chairs that did. It finished in Manchester on 10th June though.

The discretionary grant only closed in my area on Monday but it said not Eligible to apply for rent a chair

If your contract expired, it would be up to the salon to prove that you had agreed to renew it during lockdown.

The discretionary grant only closed in my area on Monday but it said not Eligible to apply for rent a chair
It’s opening again soon my local council rang me the other day to tell me. Keep an eye out on their website for the next phase

Latest posts

Back