SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hairgurl

Reaction score
I’m currently renting a chair at a salon and I’m just interested to hear how it works for everyone else that’s doing this. I’m the only self employed one in my salon so the other 4 are on the salon booking system, I do my own with clients contacting me directly, the new ones usually find me via social media (but this is a bit infrequent). I pay a set amount of rent per week and don’t do any percentage payments apart from if it’s a salon client I’ve ended up doing, which only happens very occasionally. My problem is I’m not getting busy enough as new clients don’t know I’m here, of course I have my old client base of people I’ve done for years but I need some ways to advertise to new clients, as people don’t seem to understand how it works with me as an individual working in the salon but not working for them. The salon is a lot busier than I am and I often have empty half days while everyone else is fully booked. Is this how it normally is for anyone self employed? Just looking to maximise my business to its best potential really, whilst enjoying working in my salon with my colleagues (who have become friends).

Hi hairgurl. I have worked in rent a chair and from home for many years. My best ways of getting new clients in the same situation as you are:

Having business cards on me and chatting about hair & giving one to every lady i meet when im out shopping or doing chores. There might be an introductory special you can put on the back of the card. Commenting on their hair is a good way to open the conversation and it takes a while of practising this on the spot way of promoting yourself. It took me about 50 goes before i relaxed and could do this in a relaxed natural way...

Having flyers, walk around the area of your salon delivering flyers to letterboxes or reception desks of other businesses. Have 2 or 3 special introductory offers on the flyer. I find a pic of you smiling on the flyer helps too.

Ask your existing clients if they have any relatives who might need a hair revamp. Give them a card with a special offer for the client to give htat person. Ask them if they would like to come in together and have a double appointment. Example, mother in law brings daughter in law for a ladies pamper day

Do an Instagram & facebook page and ask all your clients to add them. Then do weekly posts about your business. Get all your clients to have facebook messenger with you. Then you can keep in contact on messenger with everyone.

A tuesday special or something fun Is a good page post.

I would go out of the salon if I have a big gap between clients and get yourself a bit of fresh air & free time to promote, or get some shopping...Or get a coffee...
Its disheartening hanging around waiting , so get out and do other stuff. Theyre not your employer so you dont have to feel obligated to hang around. Have your phone handy, they can call you and you can be there in 20-30 minutes.
If you can be bothered, get a website done. But I found a facebook and instagram page was enough

I hope these ideas help
Have fun!
Tyson

Latest posts

Back