'Chameleon nails' at the click of a switch

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kerrie

Reaction score
Just found this when surfing around, it was on annanova.com

'Chameleon nails' at the click of a switch

Women will soon be able to change the colour of their nails at the click of a switch thanks to a bit of electronic wizardry.

Researcher Carlos Gonzalez has been working on an electrochromic false nail at the Cidetec research centre in Spain's Basque country.

The hi-tech cosmetic accessory is fitted on top of the natural nail and, once in place, can be changed to the colour of the wearer's choice.

The nail is made up of a number of superimposed layers, which are sandwiched between various electrochromic polymers to allow the colours to change.

A digital control device is then used to programme the desired colour on to the nails.

This includes a camera which can capture the colour of any surface which is then reproduced on the nails.

There is also a screen to allow the wearer to visualise their colour selection before it is transferred to the nails.

Mr Gonzalez said the technique, which has already won an innovation prize, could also be used to cover other surfaces.

Kerrie :)

Hmmmmmm .....
Sounds expensive to me!! But a cool concept for those who like colour ... I guess. Bet it will be used more for 'other surfaces'.

Who remembers the film 'Total Recall' with Arnie Schwatrznegar :?: There was a receptionist at the beginning of the film sitting there with what looked like a silver pen and everytime she touched it to a nail, it changed colour - looked cool but was obviously meant to be futuristic :shock: maybe we're not so far off that :huh: :shock: :rolleyes:

wouldn't it be cool if the "other surfaces" were cars - then you could change your car colour to suit your mood - and REALLY confuse ppl like my mum, who only describes cars by their colour, and not make/model :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

yeah Mrs Geek..... I remember!!!!! When I was reading Kerrie's post I was thinking about where I had seen it and couldn't remember the name of the film then I scrolled down and saw your post......... it was cool wasn't it - but no fun in the end I suppose!!!

THATS THE MEEPING FILM!!!!!!!! ALL day I've been tryna think of what it was, all I could remember was the very bored looking receptionist with her nails!!!!!!!!

It sounds like a cool idea...but I dont think the nails would look that real, or nice!! Then again, at least you wouldnt get any chips, and you wouldnt have to wait for polish to dry!!

But, how many people dya reckon would be able to afford it?! Apart from the rich and famous ;)

xxlaylaxx

I don't know because I only saw a bit of that film when I was younger and it scared me! :(

However, it's too weird, I don't like the fact that they can do that, and choose what sex to have their next child! :shock: Some things should be left alone!

Kind of a cool concept, but I'm a traditional gal! Don't mind change, but not too much. I could change my mind if I saw it though! :D

beautifulnails03 said:
II don't like the fact that they can do that, and choose what sex to have their next child! :shock: Some things should be left alone!

You know what, I totally meepingly (for you Layla :rolleyes: ) agree!! Glad some of you remember that mad film!! It was cool actually but I always remeber the 'nails' bit and you're right, she was 'like totally bored dude - furrr surrreee!!!' bit of valley girl for you all there ;) ;) I'll probably get shouted at now and told this should be in chat :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :oops:
NEVER MIND :tongue:

WOW !! It does seem such a futuristic kinda idea!! Are you sure it wasn't written on April 1st??? LOL !!

:D Fiona x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back