Change from highlift ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angiehuxley

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm not a hairdresser but I did train in hairdressing year ago. I chose to continue with make-up and nails etc and leave the hairdressing world behind. That said, I have always done my own hair colouring when I've had full head colour. I use wella 12/61 with 40 vol, but lately I have not been getting the lift I used to get, and my hair feels more damaged. I don't know if my hair has changed as I'm getting older or whether it's hormonal - not sure. I lost quite a bit of hair after I had my daughter and it's never grown back the same.

My natural hair is a base 6 I reckon and very fine. It grows ridiculously quickly which means that when I've been for highlights, it looks nice for a couple of weeks then the roots are too long and it looks scruffy. I love the highlighted look but I simply cannot afford to go every three weeks for them.

Would anyone be able to recommend an alternative? Would I be best going for bleach and tone? I do love being blonde! My ends are a lovely platinum colour but the roots (1st 3 or 4 inches) are "warmer" and you can definitely see the difference - I do not like the orangey/yellowy tones. I haven't bleached for years so would anyone recommend a particular brand etc.

The other thought I had was to start doing my roots in a darker blonde (Kind of honey coloured) and then after a couple of months have bleach highlighlights through those roots so that it blends with the ends, and after a while it will look more natural.

I hope I've made sense here? Can anyone help?

xxxxx

Hello all, I'm not a hairdresser but I did train in hairdressing year ago. I chose to continue with make-up and nails etc and leave the hairdressing world behind. That said, I have always done my own hair colouring when I've had full head colour. I use wella 12/61 with 40 vol, but lately I have not been getting the lift I used to get, and my hair feels more damaged. I don't know if my hair has changed as I'm getting older or whether it's hormonal - not sure. I lost quite a bit of hair after I had my daughter and it's never grown back the same.

My natural hair is a base 6 I reckon and very fine. It grows ridiculously quickly which means that when I've been for highlights, it looks nice for a couple of weeks then the roots are too long and it looks scruffy. I love the highlighted look but I simply cannot afford to go every three weeks for them.

Would anyone be able to recommend an alternative? Would I be best going for bleach and tone? I do love being blonde! My ends are a lovely platinum colour but the roots (1st 3 or 4 inches) are "warmer" and you can definitely see the difference - I do not like the orangey/yellowy tones. I haven't bleached for years so would anyone recommend a particular brand etc.

The other thought I had was to start doing my roots in a darker blonde (Kind of honey coloured) and then after a couple of months have bleach highlighlights through those roots so that it blends with the ends, and after a while it will look more natural.

I hope I've made sense here? Can anyone help?

xxxxx

Hi,

I am also level 6, and love to be blonde - when i had it full head colour i used to have KP 12/81 and 40vol, which is the cleanest blonde you will get with a high/lift. (do you use the proper wella welloxon peroxide with the colour cause it will make a huge difference to the result).

Then i got fed up of all one colour so i had panels of 12/81, bleach (with 9% on the regrows and Pastel developer on the ends), and 8/07 (with 9% on the regrowth and with pastel developer on the ends). (the 8/07 on its own can look "tabacco-y", and the bleach on its own can look very "stark" so adding chunky panels of all three work beautifully together! Although this could be tricky doing it on your own hair.

If you decide to go for full head bleach - Wella Blondor Creme with 6% or 9% is one of the best you will find - gentle on the scalp but very effective. Again using the matching manufacturers peroxide makes a massive difference. You could always add some foils of 8/07 + pastel developer in just break it up and will make the blonde look blonder.

Hope it helps!!

L xxx

Oh and if you do go for bleach- be really careful on those ends - its so strong and can cause damage if not processed correctly.

this is my personal opinion, and i dont know your hair condition, but is just from my exprerience on my own hair
xxx

Wow thank you! You've been really helpful! I'll try the wella 12/81 for a change I think, and maybe try a little 8/07 and see how I get on. I did not realise that not using the wella peroxide would make a difference, I just thought they were all the same! So I'll try that too. A friend mentioned last night that putting a little bleaching cream in the tint would help it lift. What do you think? I've never done that before so am a little wary. Is this common? Thanks again. Xxxx

Latest posts

Back