Change in career, advice needed please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAC0822

Reaction score
Hey,

Im looking towards a change in career from an office based role into skin care and eventually SPMU. I have spent hours researching but feel a bit lost with all the information that ive found.
Im 32 and have no beauty experience.
I would like to focus purely on skin- RF facials, peeling, microneedling, diamond microdermabrasion etc and eventually SPMU.
My biggest sticking point is how best to enter the industry?
Ive found VTCT courses that i like the look of but is it best to complete level 2 & 3? Or complete the A&P level 3 and go straight in and complete a VTCT level 4. The course provider i like the look of is Skin Philosophy.
Instincts are telling me to start at the bottom, even though i wont use the practical element, im guessing the knowledge will be useful? Or will this be covered later down the line anyway? I have a habit of wanting to learn things from the basics, even if it may not be required, or even needed in some cases. If i can save myself some time and money and not compromise on knowledge then thats an ideal option.
Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks all x

If you have got the time to start at the level 2 and 3 courses then do it. Don't underestimate the value in learning from the basics as I can vouch.
Whilst the advanced invasive treatments are not for me, I wouldn't even attempt something so skilled without the confidence of my thorough underpinning knowledge of the basics.

The practical element is not to be ignored for all it's worth because you are without the skillset to actually work on another human until you have tried it. Office work is nothing like the interpersonal relationship of therapist to client and you may find it necessary to gradually ease yourself into it. The level 3 will concentrate on all electrical applications of face and body work and will provide you with a great deal more skills than you can imagine.

Had you also thought that you can earn whilst you learn? Gather clients as your case studies along the way and go on your beauty journey with them. So you may end up actually using the practical elements that you have already decided are not for you. Don't close any doors and be open minded is my advice, so good luck.
I can't comment on the VTCT 4 sorry.

If you don’t want to wax legs, paint nails or massage it’s going to be pretty demoralising spending the time and money studying these practical skills in order that you understand the industry better pre-entry. Earning whilst you learn could leave you with a client base that isn’t right for your future skincare business.

You would probably benefit from learning level 2 eye treatments and facial waxing so that you can start learning how to shape eyebrows and I’d suggest training in henna brows. I was a Mina Brow trainer and all my students did very well. You need a VTCT qualification for eye treatments and facial waxing for insurance purposes and a private school henna qualification.

I’d also recommend make up training. There are lots of great schools that run amateur to professional courses. The London School of Beauty and Makeup has a great rep. My daughter-in-law had her Wedding makeup done by a LSBM graduate, she was a former architect that retrained in 4-6 weeks and launched her own business doing something she loved. Her experience inspired me to train in beauty at the same school. I live in Bath and there is a Bath make up school Home - BAMM - Media Makeup School - Bridal, Fashion & Prosthetics which focuses on film work whereas LSBM is more about fashion. Both will teach you the aesthetic skills you will need for SPMU work

It might be worth training in lash extensions with Nouveau lashes. The patience required to do great lashes will stand you in good stead for SPMU work and you’ll be able to build a relevant client base. Nouveau also teach SPMU and are considered among the best trainers so it would be a chance to get to know the company.

For your skincare journey train with Sally Durant. She’s the leader in education. I checked out skin philosophy and it all looks great, but you need level 3 education, so that means you need to learn the basics of skin anatomy (taught in level 2 and 3) and the fundamentals of electrical treatments as well as A&P
https://www.sallydurant.com/courses.html
You should be aware that you are planning to invest considerable sums in education in order to provide treatments which are at the limit of a beauty therapists reach. Advanced skin treatments (aesthetics) require a nurse background and most practitioners are nurses who have retrained in beauty. Yes there are lots of beauty therapists who have upgraded, but the general level of education is considered too poor to be able to attend classes taught by doctors. The medical sector is regulating this area and squeezing out beauty therapists. Beauty therapists are increasingly working in clinics under the supervision of medical staff.

SPMU meanwhile is medical tattooing and its future seems fairly safe in the hands of those with artistic training.

when I trained at LSBM one of my fellow students was a lash tech/make up artist who had trained in SPMU. She was learning level 2/3 in a combined part time course called CIDESCO because she wanted to train to add advanced skin treatments to her business. Her lack of knowlege about skincare was rather fascinating and she learned a great deal on the course. Its important to understand the basis of skincare to be able to retail skincare products. All the aesthetic nurses Ive worked with know nothing about skincare and are frankly missing a business trick.

Although Ive given different advice to Rosie, i agree with the principle of making a modest investment of time and money and starting to provide hands on treatments as soon as possible. This will help protect you from becoming overwhelmed. You need to get a few small successes under your belt to build your confidence and you also need to gain some work experience rather than discovering, post qualification, that you don't like building and running your own business.

I’m also doing a career change at the age of 31. I eventually want to reach level 4 so I’ve opted for VCTC level facial and skincare, which I’ve completed, and have now started my level 3 beauty therapy which includes massage, electrical facials and microdermabrasion, which will take me through to December.

The plan is to start treating clients mobile as I pass each module - possibly alongside a part time Job until I build enough clients - and add dermaplanning and microneedling before doing my level 4.

If you find a local college prices are much cheaper and you can do it in stages.

Good luck x

Latest posts

Back