Changes in beauty education (over the last 20 years!)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubywoo

Reaction score
Whilst I understand this is an unusual question, the situation has perplexed me for some time and I wondered if any of the wonderful geeks on the “interweb” may be able to cast some light on this subject as I can't seem to find any answers.

Over the last 25 years I have seen drastic changes in education in the beauty industry, approximately 20 years ago, as a director of a large day spa, I used to like to hold the trade tests myself and noticed that there was a sudden and drastic decline in the quality of massage ability in newly qualified therapists, since then I have noticed a steady decline in the skill set and knowledge base that new therapists are leaving college with. 25 years ago course were 3 years and full-time which meant 5 days per week (not the current two days that somehow qualifies as full time now) and 9.00 am – 4.00 pm with one late night. You had to train in a broad spectrum of subjects, nothing was optional and anatomy and physiology was taught to the same level as nursing.

I have a student therapist working for me whom I encouraged to change colleges at the end of her level 2 as not only was the teacher appalling, she was a relentless bully – teaching incorrect A and P was just the tip of the iceberg. Thankfully she is in a much better college now but still only learning for two days per week.

I haven't trade tested one, newly graduated therapist over the last decade that knew how to use a cuticle knife correctly, the look of astonishment when I show them how it actually works is delightful.

It now takes me 12 months to train a newly qualified therapist to industry standard which I am beginning to find exhausting. I just want to hire people who are qualified and ready to go after a more usual, week long induction on your particular methods. I don't feel I'm asking too much.

My questions are; how has beauty eduction declined so far over the last two decades?, what caused the transition from 5 to 2 days per week that now constitutes as full time?, Why do we no longer teach detailed A and P?, Why aren't graduates able to complete treatments in standard times such as a half leg wax in 20 minutes?, Why am I interviewing graduates who can't even apply nail polish correctly? Why are teachers simply telling students to go home and learn chapters of text books without teaching it first?, and everything else you can thank of that relates to changes in training over the years, I'm not asking much am I!.

I know I sound like I'm having a grumpy old rant, but I'm genuinely trying to find out what happened, maybe it's reduced government funding for students or college profits, I have absolutely no idea and would be incredibly interested and grateful to hear all opinions, advice, facts and fiction.

I thought using a cuticle knife was considered a bit dated now? Never seen someone use one!

Colleges in my area are full time for school leavers, 5 days a week so I am surprised that you mention 2 days as I haven't heard of that before! It's usually full time for school leavers, and one day a week for adults who work full time and then they have to practice at home. This is how I did my training (with the VTCT) at a salon and it was to an excellent standard and although I was confident straight away, I still needed to get used to treatments in order to complete them in a quick time, I think that's pretty normal as we're all a little daunted when we start a new job especially young girls straight from college who may have never had a job before. The nerves slow you down and make you more unsure of what you're doing I think!

My A and P was also to an excellent standard, but again I did my training privately and I think my friend who did beauty at college didn't learn half as much A and P as I did

Thank you for the reply. Well I'm definitely an old duffer!, what happens with cuticles now, are they just pushed back and left in situ, how are they removed from the nail plate?

I totally understand that graduates need more time to complete treatments, that's completely normal. I'm glad that you had good experience with your education, maybe this is just a London wide issue. I'm perplexed!

Perhaps government funding in London differs? The college nearest to me has really good tutors and a lovely salon the students learn in, however some years it doesn't run as not enough people even apply for the course!

For cuticles I use CND Cuticle Away with a cuticle pusher and a curette. I suppose people teach differently, as some techs still cut away the eponichium. I did my nail training again with CND which I found to be more updated :)

I remember my tutor telling me that when it comes to painting nails you can either do it or you can't. She said some people practice and practice but are just never that perfect at it. I have always loved art and painting so I found picking up that skill easy but for other people who aren't good at drawing or fine art I can imagine it being a hard thing to get good at

Thank you for taking the time to explain, I really do appreciate it. I've tried a curette but still often need to cut away any thick or raised cuticle, so just stuck with the cuticle knife method as it's six and two threes for me.

I think I might have over egged the custard on the nail painting front, I was only referring to applying a coat of colour polish not nail art, I've had trade tests where polish is smeared across the nail sideways, I had quite an education that day!

I think things must be different in London, I really just want to find therapists that I don't have to take so long to train and it's making me really drained and slowing down the development of my business.

No problem! :) When I use the cuticle away and leave it for 2 minutes, that takes away any excess cuticle and the rest is just the eponychium, but I guess it just depends whatever works for you and how you've been trained

Ah yes I wasn't referring to nail art I just mean people who aren't particularly arty find it hard to get used to painting nails. But painting nails sideways is something else, I see what you mean there :eek:

Could you maybe go round private training centres in London and let them and their students know you're taking on, maybe if they've been trained privately they might be a bit better than from the college? Just as they may have had more hands on experience. Other than that I would probably only employ someone who has a couple years salon experience!

I done my training 15 yrs ago and I studied 5 days a week 9-5:30 and had too have a placement voluntarily based for Saturdays. My a and p was a very high standard. Maybe it depends on each individual college. They were phasing out the cuticle knife then too in favour of the curette xxx

Thanks ladies, that's been really helpful, it's obviously just where I'm based.

Interesting post- sadly I would never employ a newly qualified therapist again..... I found myself spending more time training her on the very basic treatments. I trained over 24 years ago and did attend 5 days per week, was pass or fail not resit upon resit and NO one day courses. I do believe that some therapists have a passion for the trade and prepared to put in the extra work and personal development required to succeed. However as a small salon owner I simply do not have the time to get newly qualified therapists up to standard on simple half leg waxes/nail varnish application. It is a shame but just being honest.

Thanks ladies, that's been really helpful, it's obviously just where I'm based.
I done my training in 2010 and full time for me was 2 and a half days from 9 until 3.30pm. In my final year i done 2.5 days and also a day in the carrick spa loch lomond for my placement. I felt my A&P was detailed but i cant compare it to what it used to be, maybe years ago it was better. I felt at college alot was written work and not enough practical, maybe thats where its changed? X

Thanks Harel33, I'm glad I'm not on my own, it takes me weeks of training to get new therapists ready for even a simply leg wax. A and P used to be far more detailed, it seems no one teaches even origin, insertion and action anymore, which I though was pretty basic. There seems to be no knowledge of body organs and their function or a rudimentary knowledge of the endocrine system, I'm beginning to feel overwhelmed and fed up with the amount of time I spend teaching instead of running a business.

Thank you Lauraiacoblli, it does seem that there is quite a large disparity between then and now, I have despaired as there seems to be so little written work, underpinning knowledge is essential, but then there seems to be an equal lack of practise, but then if students are only in college for 2.5 days per week I think this is where a lot of the problem lies.

I find it very hard to find experienced therapist and whenever I advertise a position I'm inundated with applications from students which is bloody infuriating and makes you wonder if they can actually read. Why would you apply for a job you're net even qualified for, I now place a sentence in all job adverts that if you are not qualified for the position you will not receive a reply, I just don't have that much time to waste. God, I'm ranting now, I shall stop!

I think that the training should be the same across the whole of the country how can someone who attends 2 days be getting the same education as someone who attends 5 days? There is a lack of a lot of things compared too when I done my training and I know my tutors told me my training was easy in comparison too there's. I think the education system is more bothered about pass rates and statistics rather than the standard of training sometimes xxx

Thanks Harel33, I'm glad I'm not on my own, it takes me weeks of training to get new therapists ready for even a simply leg wax. A and P used to be far more detailed, it seems no one teaches even origin, insertion and action anymore, which I though was pretty basic. There seems to be no knowledge of body organs and their function or a rudimentary knowledge of the endocrine system, I'm beginning to feel overwhelmed and fed up with the amount of time I spend teaching instead of running a business.

Thank you Lauraiacoblli, it does seem that there is quite a large disparity between then and now, I have despaired as there seems to be so little written work, underpinning knowledge is essential, but then there seems to be an equal lack of practise, but then if students are only in college for 2.5 days per week I think this is where a lot of the problem lies.

I find it very hard to find experienced therapist and whenever I advertise a position I'm inundated with applications from students which is bloody infuriating and makes you wonder if they can actually read. Why would you apply for a job you're net even qualified for, I now place a sentence in all job adverts that if you are not qualified for the position you will not receive a reply, I just don't have that much time to waste. God, I'm ranting now, I shall stop!
I was taught about the endocrine system in A&P, the digestive system, the respiratory system, muscles, bones organs etc, maybe the students you are meeting didnt listen lol. A&P was my favourite part when i was at college! I loved it. I dont doubt for a second being there 5 days is clearly alot better than being there for 2. Wonder why they chaned it!!! Cut backs, too many students and not enough lecturers to let them do 5 days, who knows. X

A and P is assessed by multiple choice with vtct qualifications so you could argue that it's merely a memory test.

A therapist can definitely learn how to paint nails with practice. I went from struggling to being shown a technique. Quality of teaching and belief in a students propensity to learn something new can go a long way here.

Admittedly I wasn't that good after college (both private and FE). I rectified this with further training.

I would imagine that salon jobs attract an overwhelming number of newly qualified applicants due to the pay not attracting more experienced therapists. Perhaps a more balanced workforce across the industry would help. I worked in one place where I couldn't take the management seriously due to their general immaturity but then what is the employed side of the industry doing to attract stronger candidates.

I trained in 2010. Have done a vast range of courses and the quality of the education is such a mixed bag. The best tutors have been passionate about education. The not so good tutors give the impression that they're teaching because it's better pay but would rather be doing the treatments themselves. Again, if the industry was made more attractive to experienced therapists, I think this could help all round.

I have to admit you're right rubywoo.... after 16 years in the industry I'm now back to working by myself as I'm fed up of having to spend months and months training people who don't have even enough basics to leave unattended.
Maybe I'm a control freak but for the moment I'm quite happy in my little own world ha.
As for the cuticle knife thing, some training places don't recommend cutting and just push back with cuticle cream etc. I personally was training in using a nippers but can see why people have been told avoid doing this as some get over zealous and cut far too much away.

I studied with ITEC and CIBTAC and CIDESCO in Ireland and now after moving to Scotland 9 years ago I still find all the different levels etc quite confusing and it's difficult to ascertain at what stage a therapist is at.
Sometimes it looks like it's 'collect 5 crisp packets and become a therapist' training [emoji85][emoji33]

A and P is assessed by multiple choice with vtct qualifications so you could argue that it's merely a memory test.

A therapist can definitely learn how to paint nails with practice. I went from struggling to being shown a technique. Quality of teaching and belief in a students propensity to learn something new can go a long way here.

Admittedly I wasn't that good after college (both private and FE). I rectified this with further training.

I would imagine that salon jobs attract an overwhelming number of newly qualified applicants due to the pay not attracting more experienced therapists. Perhaps a more balanced workforce across the industry would help. I worked in one place where I couldn't take the management seriously due to their general immaturity but then what is the employed side of the industry doing to attract stronger candidates.

I trained in 2010. Have done a vast range of courses and the quality of the education is such a mixed bag. The best tutors have been passionate about education. The not so good tutors give the impression that they're teaching because it's better pay but would rather be doing the treatments themselves. Again, if the industry was made more attractive to experienced therapists, I think this could help all round.
I didn't have mutiple choice with mine it was a written exam so the standards are definitely changing xxx

I didn't have mutiple choice with mine it was a written exam so the standards are definitely changing xxx

That's the one. It changed around 2010/2011 kind of time (I think anyway).

I think the real money in this industry is in 'Fast track' training.

The profession is now broken down into 'bit size' pieces, instead of being taught as a whole subject.
This make's it more appealing to those wishing to enter the industry quickly, often gaining a qualification over a weekend.

I trained 'old school', learning the whole range of treatments to include what was then known as
'Body therapy', (all electrical treatments and massage).
'Beautician', (facials, nails, waxing, make up)
Electrolysis.

A lot of time was spent on A&P.
I don't remember the course covering marketing yourself, as it was assumed you would be going into a salon once trained, and we all did.

As I was a full time hairdresser, I did the course on my day off, once a week 9.00 - 7.00 over 4 years!

Hi all,
The standards have changed again from Sept 2016, HABIA & the awarding bodies have listened to salon owners and industry professionals, and now students have online exams & practical assessments assessed for each unit by the college they are enrolled with ...
but also now also end exams, in both written & a variety of practical assessments over a whole day which could be any treatment, these are observed by the awarding body, if the students don't pass, they only have one more opportunity and if they still don't pass have to complete the whole year again.
Xxxxxx

Hi all,
The standards have changed again from Sept 2016, HABIA & the awarding bodies have listened to salon owners and industry professionals, and now students have online exams & practical assessments assessed for each unit by the college they are enrolled with ...
but also now also end exams, in both written & a variety of practical assessments over a whole day which could be any treatment, these are observed by the awarding body, if the students don't pass, they only have one more opportunity and if they still don't pass have to complete the whole year again.
Xxxxxx

Latest posts

Back