Changing coloured acrylic on tips to clear acrylic?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heather27

Reaction score
If you have coloured acrylic on the tip and a client wants to change it to a clear design with just splashes of glitter shapes would you recommend soaking off and starting again or cutting the free edge off and sculpting with clear powder? Appreciate any advice.

Personally I would soak off and do a new set. I have a client who has a different colour tip every time and its sometimes a good idea to do a thin layer of clear before doing the colour so that when you rebalance you can file the colour away completely. Hope that helps. :D

Thanks a lot :D Also its hard when you do a new set of sculpted pink and whites then next appointment they want colour!

I've had the same set on since late April. I just file it down close, you'll see the original color, or clear, depending on what you laid down, and I just put the new color/clear over it. I keep mine pretty thin, so its not that hard/or take long to do. :)

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

Yeah thats what I do most of the time, its just if they want a totally clear free edge with encapsulated glitter shapes or something, not with nail underneath as if it was a nno, not sure if I like clipping off the free edge in case it cracks further up. Probably just soak off in this case.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

Watch young nails video on you tube.

Greg Salo's suggests just clipping off the free edge and re-sculpting it. Saves soaking off especially of nail bed product is fine.

I clip off and re-sculpt. Although, if you have someone who regularly wants a colour change, sculpt a clear free edge and paint / gel polish the colour on. It will save lots of time changing it the next time! xx

There's no reason to touch what's on the nailbed. Just thin it out at much as possible and then resculpt with reverse application

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using SalonGeek

So what if the client had colored tips? Usually I soak off but on YouTube I saw someone clip it off and applied a new tip on. What would you do in that situation ?

What do you use to clip it off, I have used nail clippers before but a couple of times it has cracked the acrylic on the nail bed? Also worried if someone has a high hyponychium about cutting them. I am young nails trained so I do reverse sculpt.

I mean cutting the hyponychium by accident, not cutting it on purpose :)

I turn my clients hands palm up when clipping their nails short. Also, I use my efile to put a groove in the acrylic just longer than where I want the length. Then I clip and file straight.(or oval, etc.) This prevents cracking up the acrylic still on the nail bed.

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

As long as your nails arent too thick, the free edge can be clipped off carefully. I clip above where i need to and just file down slightly to prevent any micro cracks. Make sure you hold on to the free edge as you clip it, they can fly across the room if you're not careful. As the above poster said, turning the hand upside down so you can see where the hyponychium is will stop you clipping it too low and hurting the client xx

Thanks everybody for your advice :D

Latest posts

Back