Changing from Shellac to Gelish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylieb

Reaction score
I have hardly anyone asking me for Shellac any more but seem to be getting a lot of enquiries about Gelish. A lot of clients are just peed off with the colour choice. I understand there are more colours coming but they don't compare to Gelish. Shellac seems to be too plain for my ladies. They want bright and glittery. Can anyone recommend some popular colours to get me started? Also does anyone use their cnd lamp to cure Gelish? If so how do you find it?

Thanks in advance :)

I have hardly anyone asking me for Shellac any more but seem to be getting a lot of enquiries about Gelish. A lot of clients are just peed off with the colour choice. I understand there are more colours coming but they don't compare to Gelish. Shellac seems to be too plain for my ladies. They want bright and glittery. Can anyone recommend some popular colours to get me started? Also does anyone use their cnd lamp to cure Gelish? If so how do you find it?

Thanks in advance :)

I don't know about Gelish, sorry.
But to be honest, the freedom of color choice with CND Shellac is endless. It takes "no time" and every client feels special because you blended them a custom color. Ofcourse, to give them an idea, you have to created some colorpops and colorwheel.

Please have a look at my facebook pages before you kick out your Shellac, thinking you're limited in colors... :hug:
https://www.facebook.com/debeuf.conny
https://www.facebook.com/Nails.R.Us.by.Conny

To get you started, here 1 colorwheel with how to created every color on it:
picture.php

1. Haute Pop Pink: Shellac Hot Pop Pink + Additive Haute Pink
2. Violet Shimmer: Shellac Strawberry Smoothie + a mixture of 1 part Additive Haute Pink + 1/2 part Additive Cerulean Blue. (Always rub the additives into the sticky layer of the cured color coat (one will do in most cases)
3. Bright Blue Shimmer: Shellac Cream Puff + Additive Cerulean Blue
4. Vibrant Purple: Shellac Hot Pop Pink + Additive Cerulean Blue
5. Lemon & Lime: Cream Puff (2 color coats, very thin) + a mix of 1 part additive Yellow & 1/2 part cerulean blue.
6. Iced Lime: Shellac Iced Coral + a mix of 1 part additive Yellow + 1/2Cerulean blue.
7. Hot Pop Orange (My favorite & simple color for summer pedicure): 2 coats of Tropix + Additive Yellow.
8. Hot Pop Yellow: 2 coats of Shellac Cream Puff + Additive Yellow
9. Aqua Shimmer: 2 coats of Shellac Hotski to Tchotchke + Additive Medium Green.
10. Shimmering Cognac: (demi-sheer) Iced Coral + a mix of 1 part additive Yellow + 1 part Haute Pink.
11. Hyper Red: 2 Coats of Cream Puff + Additive Bright Red.
12. Pastel Blue & 13. Pastel Green & 14. Pastel Pink & 15. Pastel Yellow & 16. Silver Grey:
Always 1 coat of Cityscape followed by a mixture of 1 part additive Titanium Pearl (to create the pastel) and the color needed (Cerulean blue or Medium green or Bright Red or Yellow or Black).
17. Green Sparkle: Shellac Pretty Poison + Additive Green Gold Sparkle.
18. Hyper Pink: Shellac Wild Fire + additive Violet Pearl
19. Blue Dreams: Shellac Midnight Swim + additive Spectrum Shimmer
20. Vieux Roze: Shellac Ruby Ritz + additive Pink Gold Sparkle

Conny, these are stunning, I continue to be in awe of the wonderful creations I see here on Salon Geek! x

picture.php

2. Violet Shimmer: Shellac Strawberry Smoothie + a mixture of 1 part Additive Haute Pink + 1/2 part Additive Cerulean Blue. (Always rub the additives into the sticky layer of the cured color coat (one will do in most cases)
5. Lemon & Lime: Cream Puff (2 color coats, very thin) + a mix of 1 part additive Yellow & 1/2 part cerulean blue.
6. Iced Lime: Shellac Iced Coral + a mix of 1 part additive Yellow + 1/2Cerulean blue.
7. Hot Pop Orange (My favorite & simple color for summer pedicure): 2 coats of Tropix + Additive Yellow.
9. Aqua Shimmer: 2 coats of Shellac Hotski to Tchotchke + Additive Medium Green.
10. Shimmering Cognac: (demi-sheer) Iced Coral + a mix of 1 part additive Yellow + 1 part Haute Pink.
12. Pastel Blue & 13. Pastel Green & 14. Pastel Pink & 15. Pastel Yellow & 16. Silver Grey:
Always 1 coat of Cityscape followed by a mixture of 1 part additive Titanium Pearl (to create the pastel) and the color needed (Cerulean blue or Medium green or Bright Red or Yellow or Black).

Beautiful colour wheel. However, some people do not like mixing and layering colours and additives and prefer stand alone colours for choice and quickness x

Those colours look fab :)

Thank you l.a.m.x

picture.php

Beautiful colour wheel. However some people do not like mixing additives and layering colours and prefer stand alone colours for ease and quickness x

Ooer my post duplicated sorry x

Conny thanks for sharing hun :) These look fab but as waffle 4 said I deffo prefer to save the time with stand alone colours. But this is so good for me to use up the Shellac I have so thank you!! xx

The CND lamp works great for Gelish.

If you already have some Shellac colours I'd advise going for the Gelish shades that are totally different from the Shellac you already have. Then you can offer a wide range over both brands (this is what I do).

The Gelish Holiday collection is a set of glitters and the Rio collection are fab neons. Midnight Caller is a steel grey which is popular. Good Gossip is a sparkly red and Bella's Vampire is popular.

Hi Conny I love all of these!!! I have some additives but to be honest I haven't had much luck using them, I find they don't stick very well to the cured layer. I tried yellow over cream puff and it was more a pale lemon yellow and was a bit patchy. How did you get yours so bright?

I don't know about Gelish, sorry.
But to be honest, the freedom of color choice with CND Shellac is endless. It takes "no time" and every client feels special because you blended them a custom color. Ofcourse, to give them an idea, you have to created some colorpops and colorwheel.

Please have a look at my facebook pages before you kick out your Shellac, thinking you're limited in colors... :hug:
https://www.facebook.com/debeuf.conny
https://www.facebook.com/Nails.R.Us.by.Conny

Conny, you took the words right out of my mouth. And BEAUTIFUL combinations you have there. :hug:
A LOT of new colours coming this year, and endless possibilities with additives and glitters... I love the creativity of CND Shellac. :)

Ooer my post duplicated sorry x

Pro's and contra's of creating custom colors with layering, additives and glitters:
Contra's:
It takes some time (if you're organised, only 2-3 minutes extra).
You can say it's not easy, but ones you get to know your 'colorwheel', it's like driving a car :wink2:
Pro's:
You buy less bottles and you produce a lot of colors with them.
You make you clients feel special.
You offer them a custom service, colors to match their shoes, dresses.....

For me, the "custom service" is important.
For my clients, the idea of wearing an unique color is important. :lol:

Layering colors, that is 'included', meaning no extra charge.
When i use additives to create a color, i charge 4€ extra.

Lovely colour wheel and thanks for sharing your mix ratios and combos.

Will be having a little play this week. :lol:

Hi Conny I love all of these!!! I have some additives but to be honest I haven't had much luck using them, I find they don't stick very well to the cured layer. I tried yellow over cream puff and it was more a pale lemon yellow and was a bit patchy. How did you get yours so bright?

With the CND Additive Yellow? Before i knew about the CND Additives, i bought some mica powders, a lot of choice in color, but non of them where pigmented like the CND additives are.
If you use the CND Additive Yellow: (no base coat on colorpops) 1 thin layer Shellac Cream Puff (Cure), another thin layer of Shellac Cream Puff (Cure). Then apply the additive Yellow on the nail with an old gel brush (more fluffy than a new one) and rub it in the tacky layer. Remove the excess powder with a fan-brush. The brightness of the yellow will become visible after you put on the topcoat.

With the CND Additive Yellow? Before i knew about the CND Additives, i bought some mica powders, a lot of choice in color, but non of them where pigmented like the CND additives are.
If you use the CND Additive Yellow: (no base coat on colorpops) 1 thin layer Shellac Cream Puff (Cure), another thin layer of Shellac Cream Puff (Cure). Then apply the additive Yellow on the nail with an old gel brush (more fluffy than a new one) and rub it in the tacky layer. Remove the excess powder with a fan-brush. The brightness of the yellow will become visible after you put on the topcoat.

Yes my additives are the CND ones. I maybe need to have more of a play with them, just tried them a couple of times and then felt disheartened. You have inspired me to try again though! I will try a different brush maybe that's where I am going wrong, thanks Conny 😃

The CND lamp works great for Gelish.

If you already have some Shellac colours I'd advise going for the Gelish shades that are totally different from the Shellac you already have. Then you can offer a wide range over both brands (this is what I do).

The Gelish Holiday collection is a set of glitters and the Rio collection are fab neons. Midnight Caller is a steel grey which is popular. Good Gossip is a sparkly red and Bella's Vampire is popular.

Thats really helpful thanks hun :) x

So to get a yellow you have to use additives and then you charge more for using additives?
Clients won't want to pay extra to get such a basic colour as yellow!

Latest posts

Back