Changing from Shellac to Gelish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So to get a yellow you have to use additives and then you charge more for using additives?
Clients won't want to pay extra to get such a basic colour as yellow!

This is what I'm finding Angelina!

So to get a yellow you have to use additives and then you charge more for using additives?
Clients won't want to pay extra to get such a basic colour as yellow!

Mine do ;)
But i offer more then 100 different colors Shellac (some of them layered at no extra cost) to chose from.
Not all other brands have 100 colors i think.
I only charge 25€ for Shellac (choice of 100 colors), my clients don't pay 4€ more for "yellow", I can offer 10 different types of yellow :lol: and that is why my clients are willing to pay 29€ for a custom Shellac yellow, or purple, or orange, or pastel... many other salons charge more for a color out of the bottle.
(I'm mobile & slightly cheaper than salons in my area)

I do see what you are saying but techs have been custom making colours for years with pigments and mica so if they wanted to techs could be doing that.
I think the point is, that techs don't want to. I think they want the ease of just being able to grab a bottle and go. I think Gelish has over 100 colours on their own so the possibilities are endless there too.
I think what the OP is getting at is that there isn't enough choice of colours for techs that don't want to layer or mix. Something as basic as an orange or a yellow shouldn't really need to be 'made'.

I'm fascinated, and from a client perspective I know I'd love what Conny does. Personally I don't like wearing nail art, not even glitter tips. Used to, just a change in taste. For me I love one colour nails and that someone could create just what I want for a little extra is no different to me to paying extra for some design. I have stood before now in a salon with a dazzling array of polish colours in front of me to choose from and still been able to look and think 'I would have loved this of it were a little darker or loved that if it were a little lighter'. I'd be bowled over if my tech said on hearing that 'I can do that'. X

Conny I have used quiet a few additives Nd they come out beautifully on the colour pops and on my clients, the problem I have however is I find that sometimes I get a kind of halo around the cuticle where the additive wont stick but I also find that as the clients wear the, the additive only at the free edge starts to chip away, any clues what I'm doing wrong?

My additives chipped at free edge on first day of wear so I would like to know where I'm going wrong too! I'm lucky to have all the additives but to be honest, my first play with them and it going wrong I haven't touched them since. :(

I only have about 3 Shellac clients left now, they are all Gelish clients has i have more colours. I have been thinking of giving the Shellac the boot for a few months now has its just dead stock sitting there. I decided final last week I will no longer offer it but I'm finding it so difficult to part with. :(

Conny I have used quiet a few additives Nd they come out beautifully on the colour pops and on my clients, the problem I have however is I find that sometimes I get a kind of halo around the cuticle where the additive wont stick but I also find that as the clients wear the, the additive only at the free edge starts to chip away, any clues what I'm doing wrong?

I had the same problem at first. The halo is visible if your color is a little bit to far away from the cuticle. Or, if you rub it in to hard, you will remove the tacky layer and it will cause the halo.

Same with the chipping on the free edge, that happended when i used to much additives,of my topcoat is not fully covering.

Mine do ;)
But i offer more then 100 different colors Shellac (some of them layered at no extra cost) to chose from.
Not all other brands have 100 colors i think.
I only charge 25€ for Shellac (choice of 100 colors), my clients don't pay 4€ more for "yellow", I can offer 10 different types of yellow :lol: and that is why my clients are willing to pay 29€ for a custom Shellac yellow, or purple, or orange, or pastel... many other salons charge more for a color out of the bottle.
(I'm mobile & slightly cheaper than salons in my area)

But there's not 100 shellac stand alone shades are there? We don't even have a lovely raspberry pink! I know you can layer but then you need 2 bottles of colour anyway! plus ive seen pics on here and you can see the colour has been layered (a slight overlap near the cuticles usually gives it away) We don't even have a range of French nudes or cover masques so we are very limited unfortunately. I have invested in shellac so can't afford to switch but it is frustrating when they bring out a new colour range and they all look similar to what we've already got!

To get you started, here 1 colorwheel with how to created every color on it:
picture.php

1. Haute Pop Pink: Shellac Hot Pop Pink + Additive Haute Pink
2. Violet Shimmer: Shellac Strawberry Smoothie + a mixture of 1 part Additive Haute Pink + 1/2 part Additive Cerulean Blue. (Always rub the additives into the sticky layer of the cured color coat (one will do in most cases)
3. Bright Blue Shimmer: Shellac Cream Puff + Additive Cerulean Blue
4. Vibrant Purple: Shellac Hot Pop Pink + Additive Cerulean Blue
5. Lemon & Lime: Cream Puff (2 color coats, very thin) + a mix of 1 part additive Yellow & 1/2 part cerulean blue.
6. Iced Lime: Shellac Iced Coral + a mix of 1 part additive Yellow + 1/2Cerulean blue.
7. Hot Pop Orange (My favorite & simple color for summer pedicure): 2 coats of Tropix + Additive Yellow.
8. Hot Pop Yellow: 2 coats of Shellac Cream Puff + Additive Yellow
9. Aqua Shimmer: 2 coats of Shellac Hotski to Tchotchke + Additive Medium Green.
10. Shimmering Cognac: (demi-sheer) Iced Coral + a mix of 1 part additive Yellow + 1 part Haute Pink.
11. Hyper Red: 2 Coats of Cream Puff + Additive Bright Red.
12. Pastel Blue & 13. Pastel Green & 14. Pastel Pink & 15. Pastel Yellow & 16. Silver Grey:
Always 1 coat of Cityscape followed by a mixture of 1 part additive Titanium Pearl (to create the pastel) and the color needed (Cerulean blue or Medium green or Bright Red or Yellow or Black).
17. Green Sparkle: Shellac Pretty Poison + Additive Green Gold Sparkle.
18. Hyper Pink: Shellac Wild Fire + additive Violet Pearl
19. Blue Dreams: Shellac Midnight Swim + additive Spectrum Shimmer
20. Vieux Roze: Shellac Ruby Ritz + additive Pink Gold Sparkle

These are fab thank you for sharing xx

I use gelish and have now decided to offer shellac too but will get different colours as what has already been advised. At least then the client can decide x
HTH xx

I guess it all depends on :
- How do you want to differentiate to other salons in your area?
- Are you mobile carrying everything with you?
- What do your clients need? What colors do they crave?
- What do you prefere to work with?
I'm happy with the choice i've made, and i'm sure that Gelish users are to.
But before i chose Shellac, i knew the company wat not know for its trendy colors....
If i had a trendy clientèle, maybe Shellac would not be my first choice.

Since i'm running a business, i would never stick with Shellac if my clients where in need of another solutions. But honestly, 90% of the time, it comes down to "sales".

I used to work in IT Security, and selling a need for a custom treatment is not that different from selling a security solutions for a wireless network.....

Anyway, hopefully some will find that the additives are really great. We have not yet talked about using them with acrylic or Brisa gel... but that is a bit more work ;-)

Latest posts

Back