Changing manicure colours

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lily_brownies

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a question about changing manicure colours. My situation is that I have two very important events coming up, and these two events are 3 days apart from each other. I’d like a gel manicure for both (because I like the durability and look of gel) but I want to change the colours as I am wearing different coloured outfits.

I feel that getting two gel manicures 3 days apart is expensive for me.

Is there any nail treatments you recommend that will allow me to change the colours but also be durable like gel? (Just to add, I am not looking for length increase). Thank you!

Last edited:
If you’re dead set on gel polish for both events can you show your tech a picture of both outfits and see if she can come up with a design that incorporates elements/colours of both that would look great for both events, I know I personally love creating designs like that!
You could of course opt for a French gel polish, pink & white ombré or a nude with or without a glazed chrome finish that should work with pretty much any outfit.
If you’re after doing something yourself you’re unlikely to get anything near the durability and quality finish of a professional gel manicure and if you opt to go to a nail tech for a professional manicure with regular polish, you will (or should’) receive the quality finish, it would be easily removed for the 2nd event and a fresh mani, however I can’t see this being much if any cheaper than 2 gel polish manicures and it’s highly unlikely to last as long as gel polish would.
I hope someone else has some ideas for you if my suggestions aren’t suitable xx

Hi lily_brownies, welcome to the forum.

If my clients are undecided about a nail colour to try and match to their outfit , I always recommend going for a match to their chosen jewellery.
Yellow Gold, Rose Gold or Silver is an option that you can maybe consider. Obvs French goes with all outfits and is a good suggestion by Swifty84.

Two gel manicures in 3 days is expensive and hard on your nails. And I certainly appreciate the look and durability of gel polish, but you don't need durability for a manicure meant to last 3 days. Why wouldn't you get the color for event #2 done in gel and then use regular polish over it for the color for event #1? You would then use a non-acetone remover to to remove it for the second event revealing the other color. It's not as durable as a gel mani, but regular nail polish over gel is still pretty tough.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your advice and suggestions, all comments were very helpful. I appreciate it!

Your event is probably over and done with by now, but JFYI, I will buff the top coat of a gel mani and apply 2 thin coats of the new color. This will last nicely.

I’ve seen clumpy gel polish applications, where this would not be practical. Always use thin coats of gel, not only to insure correct cure, but also, correct color and look.

Latest posts

Back