Charge less because you take a long time?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gelly

Reaction score
I was just wondering as I have a message on my phone from a lady who wants to know how much I charge for a full set of P&Ws.

I have four regular clients who I charge full price - they love my work and are therefore not botherd about how long I take.... I think the fact that I go to them in the evening helps also, as they haven't got to be anywhere else - they can relax and have a chat.

It always seems to take me 2 1/2 - 3 hrs..... I am not botherd by this really as I am still in my first 6 months and I know that the only reason it takes me that long is because I like them to be perfect, so I take my time to get it right. My clients get very little lifting now, so I feel justified in charging full price.

But. This is my first call from a potential new client for nails (everything so far has been tanning enquiries).
Do I tell her the price and say that I will be with her for 3hrs? Do you think she might run a mile?! If so, should I explain that it takes 3hrs and offer her a lower price?

Thing is, I have no idea when I am going to get my times down! I am such a perfectionist! Everytime I improve on one thing that could reduce my times, I find something else to work on and bring them back up again!!

Anyways, what do you guys think?

i don't think you reduce your price as your time is partly what she's paying for!

You say that you charge your regulars full price, how does this compare to other techs in your area?

Personally I would say no, how do you think your regulars would feel if they knew that your prices were cheaper for this lady. Don't forget that even though your times may not be fab, you now have more experience and you are happy with the work you are doing. I would however make it clear how long you will take.

I would charge full price anyway hunny, she has seen nails that you have done , and likes them,
If anything, just say something like
mabey "as I am still relatively new to nails, I may take a little longer than you would expect, but this is because I care enough to be abserloutly sure your nails are perfect, and you will get NO lifting, and that is the only reason it may take me a little longer "

this way you are making the client aware that you will take a bit longer, but you are also making sure she knows , it is for HER benefit ,

once you get started on her nails, the time will fly anyway, it always does xxxxxx

Salon times should be 1.5 to 2hrs max for a new set and 1hr to 1.5hrs max for a rebalance. You may not mind how long it takes you but time is money for a lot of people. If you are in your first 6 months as a nail technician, you are still on a learning curve. I don't think I became fully proficient all round until about after 2.5 years experience. You may be a quicker learner but I would reflect that you are taking longer than you should in your prices but your full price may already reflect that.

i wouldn't reduce your price....just work on your times.

I am not the fastest worker either but i know i am capable of speeding up when i stop chatting...:lol: x

i wouldn't reduce your price....just work on your times.

I am not the fastest worker either but i know i am capable of speeding up when i stop chatting...:lol: x
I totally agree with you on this one,
when I first started a ful set of tip & overlay took me 3 hours ,
after a few months i got it down to 1hr 30 mins,
now somedays I find it still takes me 3 hours :eek: it all depends who I'm doing and how much gabbing I do,
but if i knuckle down and "talk to the hand" not the face , so to speak, :lol: I am a lot quicker .

I charge the same as the NSS salons.
I was advised when I qualifed, not to charge less.

You're right about how it would seem to my existing clients........ not fair atall!!
I'm ashamed I thought of it really....... it's a bit like exploiting their loyalty and rewarding a strangers doubt.

Thanks ladies.
:hug:

You're right about how it would seem to my existing clients........ not fair atall!!
I'm ashamed I thought of it really....... it's a bit like exploiting their loyalty and rewarding a strangers doubt.

Thanks ladies.
Having just seen your work on another thread I can honestly say, you my hun have nothing to be ashamed of, your work is good and if this lady is going to be getting a set of sculpts for the same price as a nss set, she is getting a bargain. As said before, talk to the hand and not the face, you will be gob smacked at how quick you get.:hug:

i agree with everyone esle

charge your normal rate but explain that you are recently qualified

i hope it goes well for you

I don't mean compete with the NSS.

I increased my prices as I became more proficient and skilled. My full price when I started out was more than half of what it is now.

Of course you need to be consistent in your pricing and charge all your customers accordingly.

Having just seen your work on another thread I can honestly say, you my hun have nothing to be ashamed of, your work is good and if this lady is going to be getting a set of sculpts for the same price as a nss set, she is getting a bargain. As said before, talk to the hand and not the face, you will be gob smacked at how quick you get.:hug:

Oh mate, that's really kind!:hug:
I think I might cry!! :lol:

Thanks ladies.

Aw, don't feel bad hun, it's no different really to anybody who thinks about making special offers to try and get new clients, but I do know what you mean.

I think you should charge full price, defo, I would explain that you take a while but you don't cut corners and are a perfectionist and that it reflects in the standard of your nails. I don't think that would put anybody off.

Your speeds will improve in time, but it depends how many nails you are doing really, if a lot of your work is tanning etc and not just nails, its bound to take a bit longer than someone who is sitting down to set after set of nails.

I take an hour and three quarters to do p&w l&p with tips and that's after 4 years.

Good luck hun, hth x

Well I only qualified in May and started with taking about 3 hours for a full set, so I charged just £25.00.

I now have my times down to about 1 hr 50mins and so I've been charging £30.00.

However, my last new client I charged my full price £37.50 and she was thrilled with her nails!

I would say that you have to charge what you feel comfortable with and what you feel you/your nails are worth. Just remember not to undervalue yourself - you're obviously good because people like your nails - charge accordingly.

Just to let you all know that I spoke with her today.
She asked me how much I charge for gel or acrylics.
I told her that I only offer acrylics and asked her if she has had them before.
The lady went onto explain that 'yes', was getting them done at one of the many NSS' in our area and has worn them almost non stop for the past 3 years.
But.....
Her nails are ruined - but kept going because she felt naked without them......
She said that it used to hurt during application, so she knew it was causing damage - but she thought it was worth it because the pain would stop, her nails looked nice and she had never had a breakage.
Any way, after 3 years, the damage is so bad that she is in constant pain and had decided last week not to go back to them......... After 3 years!!

So I told her my price and said that I would be with her for 2 1/2 - 3hrs. I explained that I like to get things right, do everything by hand - a gentle service!

I also let her know as she runs a horse yard / stables, that mine won't be indestructable like the ones that she is used to and went onto explain about MMA etc.

She seemed happy with everything - no problem with the length of time - has booked for next Tuesday!

Thanks again for your help - gave me the boost I needed.

Result! :wink2:

Just to let you all know that I spoke with her today.
She asked me how much I charge for gel or acrylics.
I told her that I only offer acrylics and asked her if she has had them before.
The lady went onto explain that 'yes', was getting them done at one of the many NSS' in our area and has worn them almost non stop for the past 3 years.
But.....
Her nails are ruined - but kept going because she felt naked without them......
She said that it used to hurt during application, so she knew it was causing damage - but she thought it was worth it because the pain would stop, her nails looked nice and she had never had a breakage.
Any way, after 3 years, the damage is so bad that she is in constant pain and had decided last week not to go back to them......... After 3 years!!

So I told her my price and said that I would be with her for 2 1/2 - 3hrs. I explained that I like to get things right, do everything by hand - a gentle service!

I also let her know as she runs a horse yard / stables, that mine won't be indestructable like the ones that she is used to and went onto explain about MMA etc.

She seemed happy with everything - no problem with the length of time - has booked for next Tuesday!

Thanks again for your help - gave me the boost I needed.

handled like a true profesional...well done you. xx

Just to add - always charge everyone the same - you never know when clients may bump into each other and discover one paid £20 and one paid £30!! Unlikely but it may happen!! xx

Just to add - always charge everyone the same - you never know when clients may bump into each other and discover one paid £20 and one paid £30!! Unlikely but it may happen!! xx

Too True, EllaX!

Rhyming is cool!!
Sorry..... I'm a bit sill really!

Latest posts

Back