Charging extra for coloured acrylics ad gels and art

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nail gal

Reaction score
Hey guys and dolls!! I have this prob that when i do nail art with acrylic or gel or coloured tips with either i feel guilty charging the extra for it!! But as we know it takes extra time and work but i always end up doing the wee 3 D flowers etc free whe a client asks as i'm scared to charge how do i go about explaining why the colours and extra,s are a bit more without feelig guilty?????

Well.....
I charge extra for coloured glitters and anything different from the norm.
At the end of the day, it takes you more time to swap over from one powder to a glitter, changing your desk towel, brush & monomer etc.
Then there's the application technique which is more drawn out, then there's the extra cost of the more expensive glitter powders or gels etc.

I also charge extra if they change at rebalance from P&W to P & Glitter, as the glitter is a more expensive product. Then if they rebalance with a glitter (SAME OR DIFFERENT COLOUR) (soz caps), THE REBALNCE IS A NORMAL CHARGE, OR IF THEY GO BACK TO WHITE, IT THE NORMAL CHARGE.
I keep hitting the caps lock key as I've got NO NAILS ON!!

Put up a sign/price list for your 3D work too.
When I fisrt started 3D, I used my clients as guinea pigs. But I still need practise. But i INTEND To charge something like £1 per nail for a simple flower?

I charge 5.00 extra when I do a french polish. It is more than the norm. and it takes skill, plus it takes longer.

My nail art starts at .50 per nail for a dotted daisy I make with my marblelizer tool. And it goes up to 25.00 a nail! But I do some very detailed art!
My suggestion to you is to make some sample nails on the cheapest tips a pack of 50 thumb nails}you can get and then display them on your wall or use flower pots with florist green foam in the bottom and attach the tips to ow sticks with caulking putty. Putty comes in strips, and you just cut alittle off and stick on the tips. Then poke them into the florist styrofoam. you can use a extra fine tip marker to write the price of the design on the stick then your customers will ook at it and know that you are going to charge them for that design and you don't even have to discuss it!
When Your customer sits down, just say suzie I just have to show you something new I'm doing and the prices are on the sticks! And make sure you have your nails as outragious as possible! You need to be the one in town with the best nails! Always have your cards ready!!!!!!!! People take pictures of my nails sometimes!
I'm new at taking pics of them though, but if you want I will send you some in a few weeks. I'm always panting something new, and embellishing with 3d art. I Love nails!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have fun and your enthusiasm will rub off on your customers and sooner or later they will see something they want you to create on thier nail too! I just did stilletto nails on and 80 year old lady! She said she loves them! she does'nt wear them s lon as I do, but they are the shape she used to to wear when she was a kid. And she loves to get nail art! But she did'nt get art untill I started making sample nails. They see so many designs, they've got one picked out for their next visit before they leave.
Breath real deep, plunge right in,get high on your nails, Tess

Welcome to the site Tess
we have a gallery on here and you can add an album to your profile for your pics of your nail art,
we are a nosy lot and love looking at others work so please do share :hug:

i agree with Loubylou would love to se them some of mine are in there... love to see other stuff.. H x

It gets me so angry when people think they can have nailart added for free :irked:It is a service and should be charged for, I mean can you imagine going for a haircut and having a free colour thrown in.
Charge for everything you do babe and welcome to the site:hug:

Well thanx guys!!! You have made me feel better about charging!!! N why shouldn't i as i am the best in the village i work in!!!!! Not being big headed but i am so yes i'm gonna charge for each thing i do!!!! Thanx again!!!

Just explain that the colored acrylics are more expensive and it takes a little more time and skill to do so.... They will understand especially for flowers and so on they should just expect it to be more..... Good luck girl!

i was the same way when i first started.. i always felt guilty charging for EVERYTHING.. you just have to realize (and make them realize) that it does take extra time and more expensive product to do stuff like that.. not to mention more time and your talent.. just remember dont waste your talent just because you feel bad! i always charge an extra ten dollars if they want colored acrylics.. and i make sure i tell them first that way if they have a problem with it they cant get mad 4 it later!

i charge another 10 pounds for colour, glitter, whatever but include in that also 3D nail art...if someone want only one or two flowers i charge from 0,50- 1.00 per nail, depends on how big it is...

I used to add £5 for a full set if coloured acrylic was used and £3 for art work on the ring & thumbs. Very little people used to complain and happily paid up.

Latest posts

Back