Charging Family

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparklepink

modges r us..we r coolio!
Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone does abt charging family
i dont charge my mum or sister when i do their nails
if its my aunt or cousin (i only do manicures on them) i'll not really charge them but they always give me a fiver and they only come in b4 holidays or something
but i was talking to the other girls in the salon yesterday and one said she charges full price to her sisters and the other gives her sister a discount and with other family its full price
where do you draw the line?
after all its not only your time when you can have a full paying client but products too (okay that price is minimal...lol)
i dont think i could even ask my family for money- they are family- i think they'd do the same for me...i dunno.....what do you all think??

Jess
xox

Hi Jess - my thoughts are, if it's in MY time then I wouldn't charge but if family were booking salon time - I would! I would probably give them a certain price but essentially I could have a full paying customer sat there paying me full price so in the salon I wouldn't do them FOC!! Am I as tight as a ducks-butt or what???:rolleyes: :lol:

BTW - Nice piece on you in Scratch - Congrats x

Harsh but true: the only family member that gets a freebie is my dear old mum! Other than that, i charge full price coz i'm a business woman and whilst i'm doing freebies and cheapies i cant be doing full price clients - does that make me sound really hard?? :o

Once upon a time I was working full time in a salon (still am), AND setting up a table at home to do friends/family. This was all peaches and roses at first......but then all hell broke lose!! After spending a long week working on clients, they'd call me up and say can you do me and so-and-so this weekend? And I'd say yes. The next thing you know all of the family, and their friends, and THEIR friends would show up and basically line up as if it were some sort of pamper party!! Mind you I was already offering a discount (about $20 for full set w/designs, and $15 for fill w/designs, and $20 for pedicure w/designs, which I think was reasonable considering I was making double this in the salon!!), and they still had the nerve to complain that I was asking too much!! Not only that, but the fact that I spent my only free time on the weekends doing MORE nails was just exhausting, and I soon regretted it. So I politely started declining all requests for friends and family. I felt taken advantage of, and not appreciated. Now, I only do my best friend in the world for free when she's over and we're bored, because she is still my model when I want to try a new system, and she loves whatever I do to her nails.

i charge family (but they wouldn't let me do them for free anyway!)

I don't charge full price tho, i do a discount for family (mother-out-law, cousins aunts etc) but my mum and sis i only charge for the products, if i didn't i would be out of pocket, which kinda goes beyond doing a favour!!! LOL

Latest posts

Back