Charging for late cancellations / no shows

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you dont like the idea of a cancellation cost you could do what a few salons I know do and phone a client up the day before there appointment to check if they are still coming if not you have time to get that appointment filled- i.e with people waiting for infills or new clients

I was thinking about taking 25% of the price of a set of enchancements for new clients that book in- that way if they dont show up ive still got paid for some of the time im sitting around doing nothing, also if people want to book several infills in at one time I was going to ask for a small fee incase they dont show up.

Also I was thinking that if people do cancel once I may ask them to pay me to book furture appointments!

I do know some salons that charge full price but im not sure how they enforce it?

what i dont get is if they dont show...and they have been told they will be charged they aint going to re-book are they....so how do you get the money...? xx

NailStyle said:
what i dont get is if they dont show...and they have been told they will be charged they aint going to re-book are they....so how do you get the money...? xx

this is what I was wondering!

NailStyle said:

Yep that is what I would like to know, I know a few have suggested taking card numbers but I dont have a card machine. As far as I know you cant charge a card without the clients consent?

If they do rebook do you charge a cancellation fee plus a deposit for their next appointment?
I dont want to put new clients off by asking them to pay a deposit before they have even set foot in the salon but at the moment I am thinking this is the policy I will be adopting. Do you think its acceptable to tell new clients over the phone that they need to pay a 50% deposit within 24 hours to secure their appointment?

I know I have to toughen up, this is my livelyhood at the end of the day and I cant afford to be paying childminders when my O/h is working for folk not to show.

I think the whole point (or certainly is with me) is that its only really a deterrent to the repeat offenders. Some clients do it time and time again and then think they can mess you about without having to pay anything.

Clients like that can cost you more than they earn you, so it either stops them cancelling or maybe makes them go elsewhere...but if they do it a lot, then you've probably got rid of more hassle than profit!

It might put people off coming back if they have to pay 25% of the treatment cost again. Its annoying when a lot of people cancel in one day I agree but they may have all had genuine reasons and if they were going to be paying 1/4 on top next time they might take their trade elsewhere.

What I'm trying to say is that whilst I appreciate how frustrating this has been and will be every time it happens, customers don't. They think that dropping a facial because their mums invited them to bingo is acceptable if they give an hours notice. It doesn't enter their thoughts what we will do with the time we had allotted to their treatment.

Hi ladies
I realise this is an old thread but one more opinion can't harm (can it?)!
I'm just started out mobile again after kids so am avoiding this at the mo, however my favourite salon calls 24 hours before to confirm appointments and I know it works for them. They know where they're up to and the customer doesn't feel too guilty if they can't make it as they've been prompted/reminded. Maybe sell this as 'an extra service for them' - tee hee.

I really don't get where people get the nerve to cancel at short notice or not show.

:rolleyes: :grr:

But how do would you enforce this if they had booked over the phone? If they don't turn up then they can't pay - would you then send them an invoice?? x

this is a bit of a 'tender' thread...i do state to clients whether new or regular that i charge 50% of treatment cost if 24 hr notice is not given.
i do under stand that you can wake in the morning on the day of your app and not feel well or your child can be ill and the last thing the client wil do is make them sit in a nail salon. so i do take that into consideration and no charge........i have woke up feeling ill and had to cancell my clients.
i have a few clients who do 'forget' a few times...when they call to rebook, i remind them there is a charge outstanding and they do pay it, if not they wont get their nails done.
one of my clients moans everytime i charge but i have to be firm cause she takes the p**s. one time she was my last customer and she didnt turn up, so i shut early and went for a drink in the local pub where i saw my client having a drink!! oh she knew she had an app alright...i could tell by her body language...trying to avoid me allnight:smack: .
she doesn't have her nails done by me any more....ok so i lost her as a client but i have filled her space with another client who is on time and reliable. No loss!!

I have a sign that says full fee will be incurred if appointment is not cancelled 24h in advance, it seems too work & so far i havent had any leave me as they seem to understand im a business & if they dont turn up or cancel too late this is what happens. Im lucky they all like me:wink2:

A great way to reduce the amount of "no Shows" is to send text messages to your clients. We have free software allowing you to do this from your pc if you are interested, you can download it from tantrick site or you can contact me and I'll send it out to you.

Regards

Mandy

Spray 2 Go said:
A great way to reduce the amount of "no Shows" is to send text messages to your clients. We have free software allowing you to do this from your pc if you are interested, you can download it from tantrick site or you can contact me and I'll send it out to you.

Regards

Mandy
That's cool Mandy I'm off to have a look thanks Debbie

Spray 2 Go said:

Regards

Mandy

Mandy I cant thank you enough ~ this is amazing, I have downloaded it and tested it and its FAB!!!!! I am going to start using this right away it is fantastic! You can set the message to be sent at any time or date for up to a year in advance, I am def. going to use it for apt. reminders.
My friend owns a designer clothes shop and she texts customers special offers using her mobile phone - she had her shop junior texting them for 2 days to ensure everyone was covered. I said there has to be an easier way, I am sure I have heard of a software package which allows you to do this and here it is.
KxXx

So glad you like it hun! You can use it to remind your tanning clients "Don't forget to exfoliate tonight ready for your tan tomorrow at 3pm....."

Mailouts to your clients telling them of special offers will be so much cheaper (average price per txt is 6p) you can send them all out in one go! It is more economical than paper, envelopes, stamps & YOUR TIME!!!!

And you can order your solution etc from Tantrick using the tantxt service 24/7!!
How cool is that!

Mandy x

Latest posts

Back