Charging whilst training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all your replies again, has really helped.

I think that I can't charge people "properly" until I am qualified for insurance purposes. My tutor has said that I can ask for donations to help cover the cost from friends, otherwise I will be working at a loss.

I am very confident in my treatments and my tutor says I am very professional and give a very good standard of treatment, so I don't mind accepting donation from friends as its not as if the work I'm doing is rubbish. Of course I still need to learn things and will pick certain things up, as you experience new things as you treat different clients.

Just thought would update, I have found student insurance by VTCT (examining body for my course) which covers us for treatments outside of college. £39 for 12 months. Thought this was really good as I can start doing things! :)

Excellent, thanks for letting us know!:hug:

Yes if you're doing mobile treatments you will have to let your car insurance company know as it puts you in a different category. If you have an accident and you haven't told them you may find yourself classed as uninsured - not a good place to be. I'd stick to contributions for covering your costs at the moment so you can get loads of practice in. People will be quite happy with that, and quite happy to pay higher costs once you're qualified because they know they're going to get a really good treatment from you. But I would stick to family and friends for the time being.
If you want a skincare range that's not expensive check out the salonsystem skincare at ellisons.co.uk - it's very inexpensive and good as a starter for practice.

Thanks very much Rouge, very helpful advice.

Our local college charges 50% of the average salon price around here. So why not do your price list at the full rate you want to charge once you have your certificate and just say for a limited period 50% to help you improve your speed and technique?

Remember you need to factor into your charges the cost of running your car and the TIME it takes travelling from house to house and the TIME it takes to set it up and pack it all away. Time is your biggest overhead at the end of the day, and many therapists forget to take this into consideration.

Finally DON'T keep your stuff in your car, we have had a couple of geeks recently who have had their whole kit stolen from their cars.
Hi, I have qualified in gel, but still got to get maintainence under my belt, Will not start on public until them but because I have little experience what price can I charge? I can only offer clients Gel at the moment until I have qualified in acrylic/fibre etc. any advice?
Many thanks Nicky

Latest posts

Back