Charity Event - asked to do nails for free

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josheardown

Reaction score
Hiya, would like your geeks advice:

I Have been asked to do nails at a Pamper Evening Event at a primary school which is for charity.

Only thing is they want me to come for the whole evening and do nail treatments for nothing. ALL proceeds go to charity - which means I will have to pay my product costs, wages or anything else.

Is this normal? I've done charity stuff before and it's entailed donating a a treatment voucher as a prize in a raffle or giving a percentage of my takings to charity... so wasn't sure if this was a bit out of the norm?

I don't want to be uncharitable so am considering doing it... but I'm not sure if I can really afford to do this? Evenings and weekends are the only time I run my beauty business at present....

She said it would be an opportunity to get new customers so this is to my benefit?

Arrgggh, dilemma?! What do you geeks think?

I think if your doing something for charity then yes do it for free.... You may have to pay for your products but your time is free and it may lead to extra bookings... Donating a voucher is exactly the same your still doing the treatment for free when they book in! X

I've done Los of charity events and never completely for free. Usually I pay a pitch fee £10 or £15 and then a raffle prize and charge what I like. I have done on where I paid 20% of what ever I took plus a raffle prize.

X

Some charity events you pay around £15 for yor 'table' then just do what you like, maybe suggests that you will give them so much of your takings but are unable to do it for free. Is it a charity you are close with or just some one random thats asked? I did free mini facials for a charity night and was happy to do it for free and had a queue all the way round the room! Everyone got a goodie bag with my pricelist in!!

Sent from my HTC Vision using SalonGeek

Well I suppose what kind of event it was then and what charity.... If other people there are making money for themselves alongside then yes perhaps rethink it but if everything is for charity on the night then I'd do the same x

Well I suppose what kind of event it was then and what charity.... If other people there are making money for themselves alongside then yes perhaps rethink it but if everything is for charity on the night then I'd do the same x

I definitely agree and have done Charity work for completely free myself. Its the odd night now and again and you may get customers from it.

Have fun!

Yeah it is odd. I do Charity pamper eves nearly every week...£10 for the table and raffle prize and I keep what I earn. To be honest I don't get that many clients coming to me after, been running since May '11 and clients from events, probs 5 lol.

I did do nails for free at a charity thing for specsavers, I did 2 people but had to decline paying clients elsewhere. Like said above if it's a charity close to you then go for it, if not maybe suggest the £10 table thing :) xx

I've done completely free mani evenings for cancer patients.

Personally, if it is for charity I would be doing it for free - if I decided I could afford to do it at all!

Maybe you could customise a treatment just for the night, that requires less product/time. Something short and sweet that you can consider to be an 'advertisment' for your business.

I love the mini gift bag ideas. Maybe the first X customer's get a gift bag and you could put a cap on the number of treatments you are willing to do - that way you can work out how much each treatment will cost you and how many you can afford to donate.

Hopefully it will result in some regular long term clients! xx Goodluck!

Latest posts

Back