Cheap UV lamps?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laurent85

Reaction score
I am trying out just gel and gelish at the moment and am wanting a low cost uv lamp just to practise at home with! I am aware I need to get the proper lamp for the correct polish , however this is simply just for me until I can afford the proper lamps.

Thank you.

By asking if you can use a cheap lamp you are actually asking;

"is it ok for me to ignore manufacturers instructions and use incorrect equipment that may have unknown and undesirable results, I am not able to chemically or labratory test that what results has worked at all, and when I have trouble or service breakdown no one will be able to offer real solutions as there is no way to know the cause. Also I accept that if I develop an allergy or irritation due to incomplete cure and have to give up this service or industry for health reasons I accept it's on my own doing..."

This does sound harsh, but it is the potential reality you are asking if we can recommend... Remember too, if you then went on to try this on clients because you think it seemed ok and they developed problems your insurance would not cover you..

Take a read of the following article, it may explain some more about UV systems for you..
UV Product Summary

Why buy one now and another later? This will only cost more in the future and if you don't get the right result with the wrong lamp you won't have confidence in the product.

Thanks for the advice. I'm new to the gel polish system and will just have to save up for the right lamp!

Sorry :)

You really need to start as you mean to go on...

If you are seriously wanting a Nail Career that means investment in amongst other things, the following 2 basics...

1. The best training you can afford

2. Professional Equipment

Attempting nail services without getting your 'foundations' right will result
in negativity, poor results, dissatisfaction to name but a few

This may sound harsh but please research and spend your time, efforts and cash in the right place otherwise you will only be wasting it to start all over or give up.

We are all here to help where we can and there is a wealth of knowledge to tap into.

Good luck and choose wisely.

Thanks Linda , I definitely will. :)

There is an entry level UV lamp on the Nail Harmony website which isnt too expensive but you will need to have your manicure qualification to be able to purchase it.

I started my nail career with a cheaper company.
I trained and bought everything I required but, wasn't happy with either the products or the support.

I retrained with a different company (the one I should have went to first!) and the difference in training, products and support were a million miles apart.

So I was then left with stock I had and didn't want to use and expensive training.

So my advise to anybody starting up is go for what you want, not what you can afford at the time as you'll end up paying for it twice!

Thanks katty I do have my manicure qualification. The lamp looks great for a beginner like me ! :)

I bought a UV lamp off eBay almost a year ago which I use to do my own shellac and I don't have any problems at all with it. HOWEVER (before you all bite), I would purchase the CND lamp IF I carried out the service on paying clients, looks more professional. But for home use, I am happy with my current lamp.

If u want to just try out a product, u can actually just get it done by a reputable nail stylist to see if you like it. Research the proper application and removal of it. Pay attention as they do both to c if they follow directions.

But Imma tell u this. All products have their ups n downs. Really the main idea is to find a reputable product, good education, and FOLLOW DIRECTIONS. :) good luck!!

I bought a UV lamp off eBay almost a year ago which I use to do my own shellac and I don't have any problems at all with it. HOWEVER (before you all bite), I would purchase the CND lamp IF I carried out the service on paying clients, looks more professional. But for home use, I am happy with my current lamp.
Please explain to me because I really am interested .... Why anyone on a professional forum should give out such stupid and potentially harmful advice to a beginner in the nail industry (or anyone else for that matter) when there are encyclopaediac amounts of information from experts, manufacturers and those with real knowledge that all go completely against what you have said? Very irresponsible.

Think you should do a bit of reading and learn something about what you are saying before you let yourself look so idiotic to so many people.

Please explain to me because I really am interested .... Why anyone on a professional forum should give out such stupid and potentially harmful advice to a beginner in the nail industry (or anyone else for that matter) when there are encyclopaediac amounts of information from experts, manufacturers and those with real knowledge that all go completely against what you have said? Very irresponsible.

Think you should do a bit of reading and learn something about what you are saying before you let yourself look so idiotic to so many people.

Oh the big lamp debate again, I still don't understand why it's such an issue. My lamp works fine and that is all I stated, I didn't advise the OP to do the same, I did also state that I would use the CND lamp if I carried out the treatment on clients. When I used calgel as a treatment I used the calgel lamp! To just do my own nails at home I don't need the expense! And I don't look idiotic, I'm just not afraid of the bite!

I personally do not see any harm in what you have said, you haven't given advise for the poster to buy from eBay just stated facts that it works for you. Each to their own I say.

I personally do not see any harm in what you have said, you haven't given advise for the poster to buy from eBay just stated facts that it works for you. Each to their own I say.

And I totally agree with what you have said, thank you :)

I see 'UV lamp' in a thread title and I actually cringe! Oh no not again!

To the OP you haven't actually asked a question in your post, only a question mark in the title, what exactly are you asking?

Researching using the search facility you will find all the information you need to make up your mind on how a professional service should be carried out.

Whether on yourself or on clients? Don't you deserve to give yourself the best?

Many people buy cheap lamps or knock off products to do their own treatments to save money (professionals and non), they would be horrified if they spent their hard earned money at a salon and found out that that was compromising their health but are willing to do it to themselves? I just can't understand it!

Your going to be buying twice of you go for a cheap lamp and next month you'll be posting why does it chip etc!! If your going to buy the products why waste your money and not buy the most important part!

Thanks for your advice! I'm sorry if I've annoyed people with this post however surely it is better for me to get advice before hand if I'm not sure. Well that's what I've done and I am now going to buy the entry level uv lamp from nail harmony.

:) x

Sorry I dont understand,why would nail techs need a cheap lamp at home to do their own nails if they use a good one all day? Is it because the salons wont allow staff to use the lamps? It is a genuine question by the way as I have never worked in a salon and at first I was a little sarcastic thinking that all it would take is unpack your kit in the living room and use it ( I work mobile so always have my kit nearby) but whilst typing I think the penny dropped and I wondered if the salon owners were stopping techs from using the equipment. Wouldn't it be a good advert for the service if all the techs in the salon had great looking nails done on site by fellow techs or even themselves iykwim? Or is it that the technicians just prefer the convenience of doing their own nails at home with cheap equipment.

I also disregarded some good advice on here last year when I was impatient to get started on training and went on a Fast Track course, bought all my own kit trying to save money. Fortunately I did start listening soon after and was fortunate enough to buy some equipment from a fellow tech giving up on acrylics and changing to Shelac or maybe Gelish I think so I bought her kit which was fairly good quality. I am now saving up for further training and couldn't believe the difference better products and equipment makes to my life. I have had to buy some things twice even three times all wasting money, so be patient, save up and enjoy rather than struggle and worry. There are so many posts on here from people having problems with lower end products or using the wrong lamp.

Good luck and I hope it all works out well for you

As someone else said, if you are doing it on clients then get the recommended lamp for the product. If someone is just doing it on themselves then it is up to them which lamp they use :)
But if the OP is planning to start practising on clients and the public, it would be worth getting the proper lamp straight away as there is not much point buying one now, only to have to buy another a few months later :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back