Cheeky clients!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blondeprobe

Reaction score
Sometimes I think we are all too nice for our own good! :) Ever been in this situation?

A regular of mine had a full set of enhancements on Tuesday & then offered to pay me by cheque, but couldn't supply guarantee card details as, 'my card snapped, so I'm waiting for a new one'..hmm...anyways, me thinks..she's a regular...know where she lives...etc etc..so I accepted it.

Today, I got a text from here which read..

Hi Babe, only me! Can you put off banking that cheque til end of next week cos I don't get paid til Friday. Thanks

The cheek of it!! So now she's walking around with my nails on hire purchase!!

Haven't replied to her text..words fail me..any ideas?! :eek:

At least she gave you a cheque, I've had clients where, at the end of the treatment have said, 'oh, I've forgotten my cheque book and I haven't any cash either.'

I've had a couple like that too over the years. Luckily most clients are good payers! The last time it happened to me I had to write it off because she never reappeared with the money and after leaving 2 messages on her phone just gave up. Some people are just born cheeky!
Good luck x

Hi There ,

Yes some really take the mick .

I would text her back and say you are really sorry but the cheque has already been banked then get down to the bank sharpish !!!.

I have learnt the hard way . make sure that you never accept a cheque from her again :irked:

Karen x

I have learnt the hard way . make sure that you never accept a cheque from her again :irked:

I won't. won't..I promise! lol

Thanks guys :hug:

Personally I think its easy to be harsh. She is a regular but what kind of client is she? Hold off at least she told you and talk with her and explain this is not acceptable and if she is in a situation like this she needs to be honest and wait to get her nails done. If she is a bad client then do what you gotta do. If it is a good relationship why make it more even though she is in the wrong no reason to turn a bad situation worse.

I am amazed at people like that... I must say I have to admire their audacity...
there is no way on this planet I could be that brazen...

I think when I eventually get into the situation where I will have peeps who want to pay for nail enhancememts... I will ask for the money upfront...something along the lines of... ' If you pay me now...or at least get your money out of your purse before we start...then when I have made your nails look all beautiful you won't risk any smudging blah blah ( insert whatever technical term you want here ) '
Does anyone actually ask for the money up front??? I know when I have been for enhancements before I have asked if I can pay and get change or whatever... before they start so I don't have to fiddle about with my purse and bag ( I also like to keep money down my bra :lol: )

How anyone can go for treatment of any sort then not pay...or in your case with a cheque that had no funds behind it... I will never know...:irked:

I am sure there will be someone with a nice reply you can text back...:eek:

How about a text back saying "Hi babe......only me. Cheque already paid in as that's MY wages. Laters."

i agree, not so bad cause she's a regular client but surely she knew her wages wouldn't be going in until that date before she got her nails done!

I have a client who has been coming to be for years, and the story never changes, she will get her nails done, "purchase" polishes ect and when it comes to the bill "oh sorry dearie, I will pay you next time! (2 weeks later) but inbetween she will have the cheeck to come for me to fix a brocken nail but will not even give me a portion of what she still owes me!!

I have a client who has been coming to be for years, and the story never changes, she will get her nails done, "purchase" polishes ect and when it comes to the bill "oh sorry dearie, I will pay you next time! (2 weeks later) but inbetween she will have the cheeck to come for me to fix a brocken nail but will not even give me a portion of what she still owes me!!

you know then what you need to do, stop giving her treatments until she has paid and let her know in the future she can't have her nails done unless she pays upfront. Bit harsh to say something like that but thats the only thing some people understand. She is cheeky then do it back to her see how she likes it. :)

In the nicest way possible .......I'd call her up and say while you don't mind waiting this time for her check to clear in the future you would like cash. Or you would be more than happy to squeeze her in at a time when she does have funds available and needs her nails done ......you don't want to loose this steady client but you have to let her know where you stand.

I had a client years ago who ran into a bit of bank/family troubles......she had been coming to me for years before so when she started having this kind of trouble I felt a bit sorry for her ......(I accepted checks and all that before never had a bit of trouble).....she would get her nails done ..........write me the check and then ask if I would mind holding it for a day or so .....ok no problem ....don't go to the bank everyday so no worries .........then a couple days turned into a couple weeks ......she then wanted to post date her checks for 3 weeks.....:eek::eek:.......uuummm......no !!

I finally had to tell her .......I understand you are having a bit of trouble but this is my living .....why don't you give me a call a day or two before you get your money and we will get you in for your nails.....after that it worked out great....she got her nails done ...and I got paid....in cash!!! :green:

And she then understood "where " I was coming from .......

In the past I've had cheques bounce on me!

At least she's warned you, before something like this had occurred. If you have a business account like myself, you'll be charged for the bounced cheque like I was.
Still, got my money back in the end!:)

Better to hang on to the cheque until she's got the money than to pay it in and have it bounce on you!

If this goes into your business account and turns out to be made of rubber, you may get charged by your bank. That is the practical side dealt with. However by contacting you and explaining the situation i dont think your client is tying to avoid paying you, maybe she is just strapped and waiting for some funds. i am not suggesting you act like a soft touch, but it does not sound to me that she is completely devoid of any morals. Just trying to balance finances as sometimes we all are. If you occure a charge then i would make your client aware and ask for fund to cover the inconvienience. And in future politely state you prefer a cash transation. :)

In school we where taught to get the client to pay for all services prior to beginning them. The reason we gave( and is true) is that especially in nails, you dont want to be putting your hands in your purse and damage your polish. Or of course just in case there is a machine/card proublem. We always take them at the front counter and first get their file out or have them start one for new clients and ring them up while we are doing that. We also had a sign up at the desk that stated this.
That your client did that is very disrespectful to you , it seems she took advantage of your proffesional relationship. We usually dont accept checks but its always good to cover your butt were you can in regards to other methods of payment.

Take Care,
Ashleyb

I've got one driving me up the wall at the moment... she pays so thats not a prob but omg the last two weeks shes been asking to be fit in here.. or there.. and I fit her in, set up, wait.. she never shows.. email to say oops sorry etc... today AGAIN.. she was ment to be here for a removal and mini mani at 12pm... 1.07pm and ticking... I'm going out for the afternoon now.

I have resisted the temptation to pay the cheque in just for the hell of it and will wait until the end of next week to ensure, hopefully, that I get paid, but I have taken on board all your comments and will have quite a speech rehearsed for the cheeky mare next time she comes to the salon! :)

Thanks for the input, much appreciated! :hug:

Latest posts

Back