Chemical burns

Kita.1990

New Member
#1
Hey Salon Geeks,

I was administered to hospital yesterday due to chemical burns all over my toes and am looking for answers.


I am not a professional of any kind, but had acrylics religiously for a year until I calculated that the cost was burning a serious hole in my pocket! So I needed an alternate method...

I was bought a Mylee LED machine for Christams that came with 6 Blue Sky nail polishes, from Amazon. I read the instructions carefully and the first few months were fine. I only administered once a month. After a few times the itchiness started and the burning began so I took the polish off and left them bare for a month until all dry cracked skin has healed. Totally unaware of what has caused this. Due to an emergency meeting at work I needed a quick fix, so used the machine and polish and little did I know I would end up in hospital with chemical burns all over my feet.

So what I need to know is...

A) Is this the polish or the lamps?
B) what is the full list of ingredients for Blue Sky polish?
C) the Blue Sky polish clearly states on the box not to be used with extreme UV or LED light. Why? And why would it be sold together?
D) The Blie Sky polish box says to remove polish if it causes irritation... what ingredient is it that causes the irritation?
E) Is BlueSky registered or is it an unlicensed product?

Could anyone shed some light on this. I've done loads of research but the articles I want to read online are blocking me. I know this is a sore subject for many, you must roll your eyes at Blue Sky all the time but please, if you have any information that could help me, it would be much appriciated!

Nikita x
 

#2
:eek:That sounds like allergy to me.
Lamp cant cause things like this.
If it was on skin, what nail wipe did you use?? What are steps before base coat?
Tell me step by step what you did?
I had allergy on nail prep and primer. Also if you use bluesky - use good quality base coat and top: victoria vynn or Neonail.
In future try on 1 nail and wait couple hours.
 

Kita.1990

New Member
#3
Thanks for your reply!

I followed the instructions step by step that came with the machine. The 6 BlueSky nail polishes included a base coat and top coat.

Use the wool pads and nail prep solution to wipe over nails.

Apply base coat, use lamp for 30 seconds.

Apply polish, use lamp for 30 seconds. Repeat 3 times, applying a thin layer of polish each time. 1.5 minutes total led time.

Apply top coat, use lamp for 1 minute.

Use wool pads and prep solution to wipe over the top coat to remove stickiness.

To be honest, I wont be using it again. This is enough to put me off!
 

#4
The Gel is from China so totally unregulated. It will most likely have a high HEMA content which is the #1 allergen.

The reason gels cause reactions is that they have been in contact whilst uncured. So yes, a lamp can cause the problem, if it has not been lab tested to match the polymerization of the gels, the result, whilst looking ok, will possibly be undercured and that kicks off the reaction. Stop using all gels and acrylics and go see your GP to ask for an allergy test. The bad news is that once you are allergic to HEMA you are much more likely to develop allergies to other acrylates.
 

Haircutz

Super Moderator
Staff member
#5
The above poster is correct. Your allergy is 100% due to having uncured product on your skin.

As you are not a trained and qualified Nail Tech, I have moved this thread to Ask a Pro forum.

Unfortunately, you will now be allergic to most acrylic and gel nail products so you won’t be able to use them unless their ingredients significantly change in the future.
 

#6
Sadly this is true. The highest percentage of allergic reactions occur in the DIY sector. Ideally Amazon and eBay should ban unregulated nail enhancement materials.

The other issue you should be aware of is that some dental and surgical procedures involve the use of acrylates so having an allergy is potentially a problem.
 

Kita.1990

New Member
#7
The above poster is correct. Your allergy is 100% due to having uncured product on your skin.

As you are not a trained and qualified Nail Tech, I have moved this thread to Ask a Pro forum.

Unfortunately, you will now be allergic to most acrylic and gel nail products so you won’t be able to use them unless their ingredients significantly change in the future.

Apologies for posting in the wrong forum!

Thanks for the info :(

Sadly this is true. The highest percentage of allergic reactions occur in the DIY sector. Ideally Amazon and eBay should ban unregulated nail enhancement materials.

The other issue you should be aware of is that some dental and surgical procedures involve the use of acrylates so having an allergy is potentially a problem.
This worries me. Thanks for your input. Why are they allowed to sell these unregulated products?! I thought it would be absolutely fine buying from Amazon, such a reputable online seller!

So my biggest question... does anyone think I have a case with this? I really want to pursue this as anyone, including young teens, can easily purchase these items and end up in hospital the same way I did. I'm baffled as to why BlueSky is still available.
 

ciderella71

Well-Known Member
#8
This worries me. Thanks for your input. Why are they allowed to sell these unregulated products?! I thought it would be absolutely fine buying from Amazon, such a reputable online seller!
There are third party sellers who sell fake products on amazon.
 

Haircutz

Super Moderator
Staff member
#9
So my biggest question... does anyone think I have a case with this? I really want to pursue this as anyone, including young teens, can easily purchase these items and end up in hospital the same way I did. I'm baffled as to why BlueSky is still available.
You could see a solicitor and see what they advise?
The difficulty is that you’d need to prove conclusively that the product caused the reaction and that you had applied it correctly. As you’ve bought it from a third party seller, I’d imagine that Bluesky would argue that it’s a Professional product (!) and you aren’t a trained Nail Tech so didn’t apply it correctly. I imagine Amazon would only remove it from sale if they received enough complaints.

You should never buy potentially dangerous chemical products online unless you know for certain that they are the official supplier. They could contain anything potentially dangerous and toxic. So I’d only buy from known hair and beauty wholesalers, not Amazon or eBay.
 

Kita.1990

New Member
#10
There are third party sellers who sell fake products on amazon.
I would always avoid ebay for this reason but I never thought this would happen from Amazon. I dont know why. It was a high ranked seller with good reviews but I guess this doesnt matter :(
 

Kita.1990

New Member
#11
You could see a solicitor and see what they advise?
The difficulty is that you’d need to prove conclusively that the product caused the reaction and that you had applied it correctly. As you’ve bought it from a third party seller, I’d imagine that Bluesky would argue that it’s a Professional product (!) and you aren’t a trained Nail Tech so didn’t apply it correctly. I imagine Amazon would only remove it from sale if they received enough complaints.

You should never buy potentially dangerous chemical products online unless you know for certain that they are the official supplier. They could contain anything potentially dangerous and toxic. So I’d only buy from known hair and beauty wholesalers, not Amazon or eBay.
I appriciate I'm not a trained nail tech but I've been in salons for a long time and know how the process works so thought I could do it myself no problem, which is what I have been doing since xmas last year. It's just unfortunate they probably wouldn't see that as a valid point, as like you said, I'm not professional. It came with instructions on exactly how to apply as well so I even followed that.

Think I've learnt my lesson the hard way. It's just frustrating that they're still selling unregulated products without warning. Who knew nail polish could cause such harm.
 

Kita.1990

New Member
#12
??? I've since learnt that the nail reaction gets worse over time, I've only used it about once a month so 7 (ish) times.
 
Top