Chemical peel for mild/moderate acne

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay Bigz

Reaction score
Approximately 6 weeks ago, I paid for some Acne treatment at a skin clinic/medi spa.....My skin was evaluated and I was told that a course of salicylic acid peels, over a 3 month period, plus some clearing products would do the trick. I had to prepare my skin for 4 weeks before my first peel, by using a clearing cleanser, a hydrating moisture matte, SPF 30 Zinc and Salicylic acids pads daily. At first I purged out dramatically and after a couple of weeks my skin started to improve in texture...

After my first peel, which was 2 weeks ago, it was looking rather promising. Although my skin barely peeled at all from it (apart from my forehead) I was left with much clearer skin and no breakouts at all. I followed all advice for the first 8 days, as advised by the clinic and began to use my clearing products again 6 days ago....

Now I'm back to square one, with further breakouts on my cheek and nose and they're not even whiteheads - a handful of red headless spots have appeared, which are nowhere near ready to pop and I've had to resort to subtle dabs of concealer to hide the redness. I wouldn't be bothered about white heads, which can be easily popped, but these are a different beast and are sticking around for a long time and just get brighter and more irritated looking, if even attempt to squeeze anything out. It truly sucks.

I understand 'purging' is a part of the process, but after 6 weeks of treatment, using ridiculously expensive products, I thought the breakouts would have stopped by now? I'm truly disappointed at this stage, as I've spent a lot of money on this and I'm now starting to wonder if I've done the right thing by investing in these chemical peels and if I should have gone to the GP instead?

Is this normal progress at this stage? Will my skin actually 'peel' after my second treatment?

Any experience or advice would be appreciated....

p.s My skin advisor just seems to be a bit of sales women to be fair, trying to upsell products and telling me what I want to hear, so not entirely trust worthy in my opinion.

What products are you using?
Sounds like they’re stripping your skin. This is quite common where the initial reaction clears it up and you keep going and the skin gets stripped and reacts with over production to protect itself.

Peels don’t always peel. I have great results with salicylic (no prep required) and while I usually recommend a course, I may change the peel from one treatment to the next to achieve a better result. I would never say “a course of salicylic” as you just don’t know how the skin will react.

Vic x

Thanks for the response Vic!

I'm using the following products, as recommended by the clinic, for oily skin -

https://dermaquestinc.co.uk/product/dermaclear-cleanser/ - morning and night

https://dermaquestinc.co.uk/product/b5-moisture-matte/ - morning and night

https://dermaquestinc.co.uk/product/sheerzinc-spf-30/ - morning and every few hours if I'm outside on a nice day

https://dermaquestinc.co.uk/product/dermaclear-pads/ - late afternoon

I understand that these products promote a fast rate of 'skin turnover' but breaking out after 6 weeks of using them, along with a peel, is starting to make me feel as though I'm wasting my money....

My skin quality and appearance from a distant is undeniably better, but it all seems pointless if new spots and blotches are still arriving on the surface, which is totally spoiling it. The redness and temporary scarring they leave behind is the killer.

Note - up until last winter my skin was flawless and had been for years. Acne has appeared randomly throughout my life, but this latest bout has been the worse I've had since puberty - ironically I'm the healthiest I've ever been - I don't drink, smoke, or eat junk and train 5 days a week at the gym.

There are a couple of things that can be making it worse. One is make up and the other is sweating. What make up are you using?

Did you ask if there were any guarantees? If she’s just out to sell there won’t be. If she wants to change your skin, she may help. We change/alter products if there’s no improvement.

Not a lot I can suggest I’m afraid. Dermaquest are good products but like all products, they’re only as good as the person recommending them. If she’s just flogging or doesn’t understand the range, you’re fighting a losing battle.

Vic x

Thanks again!

I'm a guy, so I don't wear make up LOL - just a skin tone matched concealer stick, for emergency use only, to hide the redness from a spot or two - using literally a pin sized amount on a couple of areas.

I avoided the gym for 8 days after my skin peel and stayed totally out of the sun at all times.

New spots seemed to arrive as soon as I got back on the dermaquest clearing products (I was using a gentle cleanser, the B5 matte and SPF following the peel).

I've heard spots can take 6-8 weeks to build, so I can only hope and pray that the cleanser is merely bringing out the last batch or remaining spots that lay beneath the surface. I have two more chemical peels lined up and will continue using the products. I'm hoping that by my third peel, in 6 weeks time, that there will be no more spots left to 'purge' out. If there's no improvement by then, I'll be £1000 down (on treatment and 3 months worth of products) and feeling quite dumb. Most people said I should just go to the GP and get 'pills' to fix it, but I opted for something more 'natural' instead, before resorting to that! Not a fan of the dangerous side affects that are listed for acne medication! As my case is not 'severe' or 'cystic' I thought this method would do the trick....

It seems deeply unfair to have to go through this ordeal, to simply have the clear skin that most people wake up with everyday!

Absolutely. So I think sweating isn’t going to help. Don’t be afraid to drop the cleansing down to once a day, at night, as this can strip the skin. Any pads (like wipes) are best to avoid as they’re loaded with crap (just think of them staying moist/not growing bacteria). If your skin doesn’t settle, don’t be convinced that the doctors will be any good. Many of our clients are the other way around - Doctors then us. Years of antibiotics and they still have bad skin - and damage to internal organs from meds.

Please shout if I can help.

Vic x

I've seen some really good results using IPL for acne. Might be worth looking into as an alternative :)

You could also look at blue LED - this kills the bacteria and we see great results from it, but I also agree with Vic that it sounds like the products you are using are too harsh and stripping your skin which is adding to the problem.

Latest posts

Back