Chemical Straightning ??? What do you think.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackiegst

Reaction score
I have natural thick hair with a pain of a natural wavy through it. I have a jaw length bob and have to use straightners which are not doing my hair any good. I was thinking of having this done What do you all think. Good or bad.

Hi Jackie
As you being a hairstylist yourself, look at the pros and cons.

Chemically done:
don't have to use straighting products everyday but will still have to blow dry hair.
Blow drying in my opinion is what is hard on the hair, not the product used.

When you hair grows , you will have to have the roots done again (chemically)
This will have to be done at least every 6 weeks. This can be hard on your hair having it done with chemicals just like a perm will cause dryness.

Non chemically:
you have the options of wearing your hair two different ways, curly or blow dried straight.
Blow drying can be drying to the hair
Using protein and moisturizers will help with any damage the blowdryer causes.

Why don't you give it one time try. If you find it is more damaging than blowdrying it every time, then don't do it again.

Some times chemically straightened hair doens't go as straight as if you flat ironed it , so you may well have to use a flat iron even being chemically straightened.
Or it may go to flat on you and u will have to use a curling iron and blowdryer to get a bit of volume back.

I know this didn't help much but sometimes it is easier to read it and get it straight in your brain then just have the thoughts jumping around in your brain.

:)

Some times chemically straightened hair doens't go as straight as if you flat ironed it , so you may well have to use a flat iron even being chemically straightened.

:)

i had my hair chemically straightened when it was long as it has was naturally curly and did find that i had to gently run the straighteners through still. But my hair was very long so it was worth it as it did save time, when i had my hair cut into a bob i just washed let dry naturally then ran the straighters through took me ten minutes...and would last, so i dont think its worth if the hair isnt long.....
I know your the experts and i am not but from me, what has saved my hair...ie from straightening (as i have to do it all the time because my curl looks pants with my hair style)is..i never blow dry just wait for my hair to dry naturally then straighten.

Thanks Joanne for your input~ It does help to read comments from others who actually have had it done. I haven't. :D So I can just give my professional view on it.

There are many straightening products on the market now that are much kinda when chemically straightening. I must admit I always use this as a last resort with my clients as there are many great non-permanent products on the market and tools (thank the heavens for GHD!)

You must let us know what you decide :)

I'm the kind of person that doesn't like to put a lot of harsh chemicals in my hair. I wouldn't do it.

(I'm sure you already know this, but just a little reinforcement) Chemical straighteners have some of the same ingredients that deplatories do and unless you have very coiled, untamable hair (like blacks and some latins) where its almost a necessity to relax the hair, I wouldn't reccomend it.

If I were you I'd try all the other options first. Invest in a nice flat iron, and a straightening system (theres lots out there- Bed Head, Matrix Sleek, Avon, etc.)

I have natural thick hair with a pain of a natural wavy through it. I have a jaw length bob and have to use straightners which are not doing my hair any good. I was thinking of having this done What do you all think. Good or bad.

Hiya I happen to love wella straightening products ,
as sophisticutz says about products
"they are much kinder to the hair nowadays"
I straighten Afro Caribbean hair with it , and this is one of the most fragile types of hair ,
I also use it on curly / wavy hair too with fab results,

I find it only needs the roots doing when they have grown out around 6 inches as I find its better for the hair and its condition to leave this amount of growth till I re do the root area again ,

With Wella Strate it can also be flat ironed as part of the process
which I find works better on very curly hair ,

Wella Strate is for natural and coloured hair,
but if you have had a lot of clour on it I would not advise you to have it done,

always ask your hairdresser for a test piece first so you know what the exact result will be like ect

The results I have had with this product have been fantastic the hair was really straight and shiny ,
but as JDs says you still have to run the irons over it to get the ultra sleek look,
or maybe just the top layers if your in a hurry

:hug:

Latest posts

Back