Chemo and gel nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutchie13

Reaction score
Hi all, I have just had a new client that has informed me she has terminal cancer and will be having chemo (in tablet form) for the rest of her life. Her nails are pretty brittle as you can imagine and she wants a gel polish. I know that after chemo you can resume having your nails done but does anyone know if she can have gel polish given her health concerns and medication?

Could you offer her ordinary polish/vinylux instead?

I was a Nail Tech and became allergic to gel polish to the extent it caused similar symptoms to Asthma and I had to stop doing nails immediately. In your situation, I’d would be extremely wary of risking adding to her problems using potentially dangerous chemicals without medical approval.

I think you also need to check with your insurance company as usually, they ask for written confirmation from her consultant/GP that she can have the gel polish. I note that you live in the Nederlands so things might be different there regarding insurance risks etc.

Hi all, I have just had a new client that has informed me she has terminal cancer and will be having chemo (in tablet form) for the rest of her life. Her nails are pretty brittle as you can imagine and she wants a gel polish. I know that after chemo you can resume having your nails done but does anyone know if she can have gel polish given her health concerns and medication?
She can have gel nails with the agreement of her Oncologist - you need this as your insurance may not be valid without it. It is generally suggested that a dark colour is used as this can help preserve the nail.

You need to ensure that everything is immaculately clean as there can be a risk of infection. Those undertaking chemo are vulnerable.

Yes, first get clearance from her oncologist, in writing. In addition to the immune deficiency that chemo causes, there are many medications that can cause significant photo sensitivity, making any additional UV exposure contraindicated.

Thank you all for your advice. It was pretty much what I was thinking myself hence my reluctance to do them. I have also checked with my own insurance and they have also stated that I need clearance from her oncologist.. Thanks again xx

My husband is on chemo tablets for the rest of his life too. It is my understanding that this type of chemo only targets the cancer cells, not the healthy cells so the immune system is not compromised in the same way that "traditional" chemo does. However, my husband has been told to protect his skin from sun exposure as the tablets make his skin more sensitive so she should certainly speak to her oncologist for advice and written confirmation if it is ok to go ahead. (I'm thinking of curing gel under a lamp). - I have to say that his nails are absolutely fine though, not dry or brittle, so her nail condition may not have anything to do with the chemo tablets. They don't make you loose your hair either.

Just as a note, a terminal diagnosis is understandably devastating, but as we have found out, it doesn't mean it's imminent. My husband is 3.5 years into treatment and classed as in remission (despite being told his cancer was terminal/un-curable) and we know of plenty of others who are still going strong many years after diagnosis. Hopefully your client will be one of these and will therefore want to live her life as normally as possible - hence wanting to have her nails done. She just needs to make sure anything she has done is safe for her and not putting her at risk.

Last edited:
My husband is on chemo tablets for the rest of his life too. It is my understanding that this type of chemo only targets the cancer cells, not the healthy cells so the immune system is not compromised in the same way that "traditional" chemo does. However, my husband has been told to protect his skin from sun exposure as the tablets make his skin more sensitive so she should certainly speak to her oncologist for advice and written confirmation if it is ok to go ahead. (I'm thinking of curing gel under a lamp). - I have to say that his nails are absolutely fine though, not dry or brittle, so her nail condition may not have anything to do with the chemo tablets. They don't make you loose your hair either.

Just as a note, a terminal diagnosis is understandably devastating, but as we have found out, it doesn't mean it's imminent. My husband is 3.5 years into treatment and classed as in remission (despite being told his cancer was terminal/un-curable) and we know of plenty of others who are still going strong many years after diagnosis. Hopefully your client will be one of these and will therefore want to live her life as normally as possible - hence wanting to have her nails done. She just needs to make sure anything she has done is safe for her and not putting her at risk.

Thank you for your reply. And good luck with your husband. I have asked her to speak with her oncologist before we go any further and yes her hair has not fallen out but she said her nails have taken a real battering over the past few years. So I agree her nail condition may or may not have anything to do with the chemo. I am playing it safe and for the time being we are using Healthy Hoof to help re hydrate her nails in the meantime. And yes she def wants to live life to the full she has instructed me she only wants bright red as that colour makes her feel positive. Thank you again x

I think you're doing the right thing playing it safe. With luck her oncologist will give her the go ahead as I'm sure having lovely nails will make her happy and more positive! Keep us updated x

I think you're doing the right thing playing it safe. With luck her oncologist will give her the go ahead as I'm sure having lovely nails will make her happy and more positive! Keep us updated x
Thank you and yes I agree with you. She is due her next hospital visit in 2 weeks so she will check then and I have learnt something also along the way which is always a good thing. Thanks again xx

Latest posts

Back