Chemo and waxing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shellie xx

Reaction score
Hi! I wonder if anyone can help me ~ my business partner has just called up asking for my advice but I don't know myself! She has a client that is coming in tomorrow for an eyebrow wax. She's been going to her a few times and because we are in a hairdressers, she goes to them too. One of the hairdressers told my business partner that she's recently been diagnosed with cancer and has had one stint of chemotherapy so far. Would she still be ok to have her eyebrows waxed or does chemo cause the skin to be sensitised? xx

It may be that her chemo will cause hair loss and she may possibly even lose her eyebrows anyway.

I pesonally would not treat this lady without the OK from her oncologist.

Personally I wouldn't be happy waxing a chemotherapy patient without the doctors ok.

Because the chemo basically 'attacks' the whole body it can have wide ranging effects.

But the main concern is that it leaves the immune system practically redundant so they are vulnerable to all sorts of infections which can become serious quickly.

So a slight graze just on the eyebrow might become much more serious for her. (Not that I'm saying that will happen but I wouldn't want to risk it!)

I would suggest that your partner have a chat with the client and recommend she talks to her consultant first.

I would ask for a doctors note tbh. And just for info, I do have a client who was having chemo and her gp did give her a note. Hth's :)

I agree with all that has been said above - get a GP/consultant's note to be on the safe side as different combinations and doses can have varying side-effects, including (as Debs mentioned) a suppression of the immune system.

Because chemo drugs can affect the bone marrow's ability to produce white blood cells and platelets, even if you get a GP's go-ahead it's important to take extra care with your waxing as the client may have a propensity to easy bruising and infection should any accidental injury occur.

Andy x

Thank you everyone for your replies ~ I thought it would be the case but wanted someone elses opinion! Sometimes I just need someone to tell me what to do, do you ever feel like that?xx

Thank you everyone for your replies ~ I thought it would be the case but wanted someone elses opinion! Sometimes I just need someone to tell me what to do, do you ever feel like that?xx

Yup!! All the time!:lol::lol::lol:

can i just clarify something - has the client told your business partner directly?

if its just been passed from the hairdresser from the client then you are not in a postion to say anything due to client confidentiality.

I may have got the wrong end of the stick but thats what it sounds like.

becki x

I had a situation like this before, would not do any treatments without written permission from the doctors. This is an insurance issue as well, you have to cover yourself.

x

can i just clarify something - has the client told your business partner directly?

if its just been passed from the hairdresser from the client then you are not in a postion to say anything due to client confidentiality.

I may have got the wrong end of the stick but thats what it sounds like.

becki x

If that is the case then all she has to do is ask if there is anything that needs to be updated on her consultation card.

If that is the case then all she has to do is ask if there is anything that needs to be updated on her consultation card.

Thank you ~ that is exactly what she did! It's all ok now. Thanks for all or your advice! xx

Latest posts

Back