Chemo & Effects on Nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Portia

Reaction score
Hi All

A friend of mine has been diagnosed with Stage 3 Breast Cancer, it's all come as a bit of a shock as it was discovered from a routine over 50's mamogram and has taken us all rather by surprise.

She's just started her chemo, will have radio therapy after the chemo, and has been told she will go on tablets after the radio. I'm assuming that will be Herceptin.

Along with the usual warnings of potential hair loss, she's also been told she may lose her fingernails, which I confess I've not heard of before. I don't want to approach her to find out more, but I want to be informed and prepared so if/when it does happen I can support her through it. She loves her nails, is always painting them, applying nail art, etc. As much as losing her hair is going to be awful, she has wig in preparation, losing her nails is going to be devastating too, and I want to help minimise the impact as much as I can.

So, does anyone have any advice or information?

Will the nails just peel away from the nail bed and drop off? or
Will the nail production stop in the matrix and she'll have a gap between old nail produced before the treatment, the new nail once they start to grow again?
Will they blacken and fall off like a damaged nail?
I'm assuming that using her solar oil will help once they start to grow again provided she can touch her nailbeds without too much pain?

This has hit me really hard, although she's not the first person I know to suffer with this hideous disease, for some reason it's rocked me. Finding out how to help her with her nails is giving me some kind of control back, and if I can give her some control I know it will help

Thanks all

hi mate sorry to hear about your client:hug:

My client has had 2 doses of chemo, her hair has started to fall out (even after having the 'ice cap' which is supposed to help prevent this)

She came to me last week her nails were fine.

I didnt notice any problems arising and obviously im keeping a close eye out.

If things change i'll let you know hun

Amb xx

I have a client that is undergoing chemo again (amazing lady a credit to human kiind) anyhow her enhancements are fine but her natural nail beds are very weak underneath, I have not heard off people losing there nails, my mum had it and she didnt, but there are all sort of chemo and the strengh is always different keep us posted as it is very interesting. As for the ice cap mum tried that and said it is just awfull worst than the sickness through the medication, but a friend of mine had it and her hair thinned but she did not loose all of it.

Hi thought this topic had come up before so had a search for u and found this thread,hope some of the info helps u a bit and so sorry to hear about your friend-must b devastating for everyoen concerned :cry:
http://www.thenailgeek.com/main/37455-how-does-cancer-affect-your-nails.html?highlight=chemotherapy

Thanks for the link Carend - it seems seperation and ridges are the main results, both of which are managable and fairly uncomplicated. It also appears some people have no effects at all, lets keep our fingers crossed my friend falls into this category.

Thanks to all those who've taken the time to reply :hug:

Glad you got the info you needed.

By the way herceptin isn't a drug taken at home ( I think you are confusing with something like Tamoxifen). Herceptin is administered intravenously -like chemo - and takes about an hour to do 7 is done every week!

I thought it was a tablet too but was told differently by ladies attending 'Lookgood feel better' course at my local hospital.

I have a client who had stage 3 & is fine 6+ years on - its not always as bad as you think.

Why not enquire if 'look good feel better' runs at your hospital - it is a great morale booster! its an afternoon of beauty tips and pampering for ladies having cancer treatement - they get a fab bag of goodies too from companies like dior,chanel,estee lauder etc............

Glad you got the info you needed.

By the way herceptin isn't a drug taken at home ( I think you are confusing with something like Tamoxifen). Herceptin is administered intravenously -like chemo - and takes about an hour to do 7 is done every week!

I thought it was a tablet too but was told differently by ladies attending 'Lookgood feel better' course at my local hospital.

I have a client who had stage 3 & is fine 6+ years on - its not always as bad as you think.

Why not enquire if 'look good feel better' runs at your hospital - it is a great morale booster! its an afternoon of beauty tips and pampering for ladies having cancer treatement - they get a fab bag of goodies too from companies like dior,chanel,estee lauder etc............

Thanks for the info Alialy :D The 'Look Good, Feel Better' sessions sound fab, she's fortunate enough to be having private treatment so I'm guessing they'll offer this kind of thing at the hospital. What a fantastic idea for those who could really do with a morale boost.

Hi Portia

I'm sorry to hear that

I have had many close members of my family and close friends diagnosed with different types of cancer, my boss is actually a breast cancer survivor- she had both chemo and radiation

Just wanted to tell you that although she lost all her hair, her nails are absolutely fine, no effect whatsoever on her nails

And my family members that have been on other types of chemo, none of them had any problems with their nails even though we had been warned about it

HTH

Sarita

Hi Portia, i'm so sorry to hear about your client, a cancer diagnosis completely turns your world upside down and that of those around you so i'm not surprised you've been knocked sideways. From what i understand chemotherapy works on the fast-growing cells in the body & destroys them, however it destroys healthy cells as well as the cancer cells, hence the hair loss (hair cells are amongst the fastest growing in the body, along with skin & nails). This is why cancer patients often lose their hair, and their skin often changes texture/condition, however it is much less common to lose nails so you may find your friend's nails aren't particularly affected. Good luck & keep your chin up, be positive, the survival rates for breast cancer are amongst the best of any cancer & there's so much support & help out there for breast cancer sufferers. If your friend is interested in complementary therapies or a holistic approach, she can check out the bristol cancer help centre website on www.bristolcancerhelp.org - it's a national charity that provides amazing support & guidance to people with a cancer diagnosis and their supporters. There's lots of advice & information there about nutrition, supplements etc to support the immune system which is vital when undergoing the rigours of chemo treatment. Good luck & stay positive. x

Latest posts

Back