Chicken Pox & pregnancy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adventuregirl

Reaction score
Hello

Hope someone can help quickly as o can't seem to find an answer and waiting for a callback from midwife.

My client called last night to say her daughter has chicken pox and didn't know if that was a risk to me. She won't be at the appointment but in case her mum carries it?

I've had chicken pox as a child but know it can be harmful to the baby. Just not sure if it applies to when it's not directly her...

Thanks in advance.

Xx

Hello

Hope someone can help quickly as o can't seem to find an answer and waiting for a callback from midwife.

My client called last night to say her daughter has chicken pox and didn't know if that was a risk to me. She won't be at the appointment but in case her mum carries it?

I've had chicken pox as a child but know it can be harmful to the baby. Just not sure if it applies to when it's not directly her...

Thanks in advance.

Xx

If you've had chicken pox before you should be okay. However you are at a higher risk of catching shingles whilst pregnant (doesn't affect the baby). Unfortunately I know first hand how horrid shingles are in pregnancy.

Best bet is too wait on your midwifes advice. It's very good that your clients warned you though, not often they bother to do that. X

Id definitely wait and see what your midwife says. It's not worth the risk while your pregnant without finding out first. I had chicken pox for the first time when I was around 26 weeks it was awful! Luckily no harm to my baby :)

Your midwife will probably say the same as mine: if you've had chickenpox already then you're safe. Don't believe it!

I've currently got my third dose of chickenpox, I caught the latest ones from my niece. It's definitely possible to catch them more than once so it's a good job I wasn't exposed to them while I was pregnant.

I wouldn't take the chance.

Yep if you've had chicken pox before you're immune. While you're pregnant, your immunity is passed onto your baby. Once baby is born, they are susceptible to it

Technically you can get chicken pox more than once but the risk is fairly low of this happening.

If you hadn't already had chicken pox, you'd need to be extra careful

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks so much everyone.

I'm still waiting to hear back from my midwife. Guessing whoever took the message hasn't passed it on :(

Will call again. Was really grateful she let me know. Fingers crossed everything is okay to go ahead.

Feel so bad for you ladies who had it while pregnant or shingles. That's what was concerning me...

I'll let you know what midwife says when I hear back.

Thanks again! Xx

I remember being pregnant and my nephew getting it. My sister was also pregnant as was my cousin and we had planned a weekend together! We were so worried but we had all had chicken pox. We still went ahead and we were all fine! Obviously my sister had to live with him he was her other child!
None of us caught it it was all good!

Last edited:
my husband had chickenpox while i was pregnant with our second baby, the doctor sent me to have a blood test to check my immunity and although it was 27 years since i had chickenpox as a child, i still had 95% immunity lol

apparently, if the immunity had been low there was an injection they could give me, so i was told at the time. xx

Hello.

Thanks again for your thoughts and advice!

My midwife said the same as others have said, if I've had it before I should be fine.

Pregnancy is a minefield, huh?!

Xx

Hello.

Thanks again for your thoughts and advice!

My midwife said the same as others have said, if I've had it before I should be fine.

Pregnancy is a minefield, huh?!

Xx

You should be fine, especially as it has to go through the mother to get to you and you've already had it, and as most plot is have I'm betting the mum has already had it too.

Enjoy xxx

Latest posts

Back