Children in home based salon/any salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glitterbox81

Reaction score
So I've just started up and I have my first customer for a Shellac treatment on Wednesday, she's just emailed asking if she can bring her kids. Is this normal? I never even considered that people would want to bring their kids with them. My salon is just a room in my house.

I don't really want kids in there- the room is tiny, full of equipment/products, I'm nervous enough about trying to do a neat French manicure without the added distraction of children.

But there is no nice way of saying no is there? And if I say no I suspect I'll lose my first booking.

advise her that although you love kids, for insurance purposes you cannot accept under 16's into the salon. She can't argue with that or paint you as being the bad person for covering your own ass :)

Try saying "of course, children are always welcome, but please be aware that the salon is a single room with limited space and they must be under supervision at all times" that way she may think twice and get someone to watch them.
No way would I let kids roam around my house if I had a home salon. I would make the salon safe for children but the rest of the place is really not child friendly and I wouldn't change it for anyone (one of my favourite items is a shard of really sharp glass sticking out of a stone. But there is lots of sharp edges, stone floors polished until quite slippy). Also the garden isn't child friendly being on many levels, deep water etc... And although my dog loves kids I wouldn't lock him up just so they were more comfortable, its his house and he has the right to roam where he wants. So in mine it would be "yes, but they sit in the salon, shut up, don't interfere and don't touch anything" lol xoxo

Ah insurance brilliant! Thank you.

I let my mates bring their kids but that's different cos I can plonk them in front of the TV with the husband while we go upstairs or if they come into the room I know them so can tell them to leave things alone. (obviously she doesn't know that my mates kids come).

Try saying "of course, children are always welcome, but please be aware that the salon is a single room with limited space and they must be under supervision at all times" that way she may think twice and get someone to watch them.
No way would I let kids roam around my house if I had a home salon. I would make the salon safe for children but the rest of the place is really not child friendly and I wouldn't change it for anyone (one of my favourite items is a shard of really sharp glass sticking out of a stone. But there is lots of sharp edges, stone floors polished until quite slippy). Also the garden isn't child friendly being on many levels, deep water etc... And although my dog loves kids I wouldn't lock him up just so they were more comfortable, its his house and he has the right to roam where he wants. So in mine it would be "yes, but they sit in the salon, shut up, don't interfere and don't touch anything" lol xoxo

If they were older kids who I thought would sit with a book or something for an hour I wouldn't be so wary about it but looking at her Facebook profile picture it's 2 wee toddlers- they are never going to sit still and quiet for an hour are they? The room is a standard double bedroom size and has a spray tan tent, nail desk and massage table in there so really no space for children to be roaming and they definitely aren't getting free roam of the house!

Thank you. I will go with the insurance line I think.

Yes go with the insurance line .

I have always said to my clients that this is THEIR time to pamper themselves . None of mine bring their children apart from the occasional one in school hols but these were older children that sat and happily played on their hand held games . Young children as you rightly said will not sit still

This will make your job so much harder as you will be trying to keep one eye on the children - Very distracting for you and will not be the 'pampering' treatment for the mother that it should be

Can i just say some kids actually do as there told lol i went to get my nails done my girl is 3 and she sat down and just watched i woyldnt of brought her with me if had thought she would missbehave x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I know some kids go behave but I also know there are a lot of parents who aren't as considerate as you and who let their kids run riot.

Salons are adult environments, I do not allow minors.

I agree with fozzyo-salons are not for kids whether they behave or not. Go with the insurance line!

i always state to clients that if their kids will sit for whatever length of time treatment is then i dont mind. to be honest most that bring their kids are friends of mine x

It's a difficult one! I do say My insurance doesn't cover under 16's but I have had people bring their children. Some are little angels and some are devils!! With the devil children I kind of let my client see my frustration and then they think twice about bringing them again lol xx

I have it written in my brochures that unfortunatly we can not allow children in the salon its not fair on other clients trying to relax and there is kids screaming and running riot, I have had too many bad experiances with children in the salon, had my salon wrecked before magazines (quite expensive ones) torn up and my pretty orchid battered and not even an apology from the parent, I agree with most posters on here you come to a salon to be pampered :)

Well I've told her my insurance doesn't cover children sadly and she hasn't responded- she's possibly busy with it being the weekend though. I think I'll add something to my pricelist and website to try and ward off this situation in future.

Thanks everyone.

I had read threads like this in the past and had decided I would not have children in my room at the salon, however I have no control over the actual salon as I dont own it!

Its constantly full of children so much so that I have had people that have started coming to me from seeing me in there whilst having ther hair done that they bring their kids and I feel I cant say no, I wont have them in my room still (insurance line works for that!) but not to cover the salon.

I had one client who came in for a lash lift and brought her child along, she wouldnt sit and wait outside so she came into the room, to be honest she was a little angel but was under my feet the whole time, thats when I decided that I would not allow it and politely told the mother so. She has been back since minus child.

So I guess what I am saying is if it were my salon or home salon I would say no kids!

Latest posts

Back